COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Hubby got home yesterday so I was able to give him kid duty this morning. I took off work to go hunting but then after I got to my stand, my phone and emails were so busy from work stuff that couldn’t wait that I had to leave the stand[emoji35]. I decided on Mexican food for lunch and consoled myself with a frozen margarita while I worked. This is a little hole in the wall restaurant that I’ve never been to but the food was wonderful and the drink was too!! Shame on me but I haven’t had a margarita in months!!!IMG_1544122676.042836.jpg

Last edited:

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Hubby got home yesterday so I was able to give him kid duty this morning. I took off work to go hunting but then after I got to my stand, my phone and emails were so busy from work stuff that couldn’t wait that I had to leave the stand[emoji35]. I decided on Mexican food for lunch and consoled myself with a frozen margarita while I worked. This is a little hole in the wall restaurant that I’ve never been to but the food was wonderful and the drink was too!! Shame on me but I haven’t had a margarita in months!!!View attachment 258971

No shame in that!! Enjoy!!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
You have to be careful. The demands will get more expensive if you want compliance. Bold has clearly been observing Jacques!
Well, I've already determined that Bold won't be getting any salmon that isn't an ingredient in a healthy commercial diet. Fortunately for Bold, at least some of the commercial pellets do have salmon on their ingredient lists.

Fortunately for us, Bold eats pretty much anything you give him. He is quite content with the ZooMed Natural Aquatic Turtle Hatchling Formula pellets as a staple in his diet. He will eat wriggling food, but I think he actually prefers the kind of food that doesn't fight back. ;)

If Bold ever gets really demanding for salmon, I'll give him some of that red wiggler "salmon spaghetti" that Jacques seemed to like so much!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Ever since Bold heard about Jacques' celebrity status, being on a calendar page and having her very own thread on the forum... He's been dropping hints. :rolleyes:

He wants me to ask @Moozillion how old Jacques was when she got her own thread. Bold wants to know when he'll be old enough or big enough for his own thread, too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok CDR team - Day 6 of our Caravan-Serai Recipe Feast. This salad looks pretty scrumptious...but seems to utilize a ton of ingredients.

Roasted Pumpkin Quinoa Salad

4E3764D0-23BA-4BDC-886C-B8B8934C0EDB.jpeg

The pumpkin is roasted with red onion, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds and maple, its delicious and you could totally eat it like that as a side dish.

The quinoa is dressed with lots of herbs and spices; mint, coriander, sumac, lemon and its all topped with pomegranates, pepitas and hazelnuts – whats not to love…

Ingredients
For the roasted pumpkin
1/4 medium kent pumpkin, or your pumpkin of choice
1 red onion, cut in to small wedges
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp maple syrup

For the salad
1/2 cup quinoa
1 big handful mint
1 big handful coriander
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced, or to taste
1 tsp sumac

To garnish
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1 tbsp dry roasted pepitas
1 tbsp dry roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped

Instructions
Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F). Cut pumpkin into chunks and place on a lined baking tray with the onion Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer and roast for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your pumpkin chunks. Once cooked remove and set aside.

Wash the quinoa and add to a small saucepan with 3/4 cup of water. Cover and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn the heat to as low as possible and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Once cooked fluff with a fork and add to a large bowl. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.

Finely chop the mint and coriander add to the quinoa along with the olive oil, lemon juice, sumac and salt and pepper. Add the pumpkin and toss gently. Add to a serving plate.

Garnish with pepitas, pomegranates and hazelnuts. Serve.

Recipe Notes
To dry roast the pepitas and hazelnuts. Add separately to a frying and cook over medium heat until golden. Add the hazelnuts to a tea towel and rub with your hands to remove most of the skins. Then roughly chop.

Recipe & photo courtesy of http://littlebigh.com/roasted-pumpkin-quinoa-salad/

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Nice. I went hunting this last weekend. Didn’t even see anything!

I have killed nothing this season but I have observed a couple of young bucks and a few does.. none were on my hit list though [emoji33]... I haven gotten very selective over what I’m willing to take lately and most of my enjoyment just comes from the peace of being there:)))

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you Adam. I haven't told her yet. I don't want her to get a big head and start bossing the other torts around because of her celebrity status.
Very wise.
Tidgy has been unbearbale for years, so this year, no calendar for Tidgy.
But I think that's only made things worse.
The sulks and temper tantrums have been dreadful.
And that's only wifey.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Only that which you are reluctant to finish. Kind of makes us all work harder, doesn't it? Adam @Tidgy's Dad brought in the Hound the last time he visited us. :eek:
Yes, he just ate my paper on Orthid Brachiopods of the Mifflin Member., Platteville Shale Formation from Decorah, Iowa.
Darned Pooch! :mad:

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I have killed nothing this season but I have observed a couple of young bucks and a few does.. none were on my hit list though [emoji33]... I haven gotten very selective over what I’m willing to take lately and most of my enjoyment just comes from the peace of being there:)))
That is very true. I just love being in the woods and the tranquility of it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, my lovely Cold Dark Roommates!
Just a quick Christmas update!
20181206_181820.jpg
Top left : Bah, Humbug! From Noel, Jay, Moe and Shelly. Thanks @AZtortMom Merry Christmas to you too! Nice that you're back. :):<3::tort::tort::tort:
Second Left : A dinosaur in a pear tree from Jane! And the present underneath that I can't open til Crimbo! :<3::):tort: Thanks @JSWallace Itchy fingers, but I'll resist.
Third Left : From Sabine! including lots of stickers of tortoises. :<3::tort::<3: And the two seed packets - dandelions for the Tidge! The cover looks a bit like a Chumbley from Doctor Who. :
9185133.jpg

And finally, two little monsters about to incinerate the nativity scene. From Lena! Thank you so much, my friend. :):<3::D
Merry Christmas Everyone!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hello, my lovely Cold Dark Roommates!
Just a quick Christmas update!
View attachment 258992
Top left : Bah, Humbug! From Noel, Jay, Moe and Shelly. Thanks @AZtortMom Merry Christmas to you too! Nice that you're back. :):<3::tort::tort::tort:
Second Left : A dinosaur in a pear tree from Jane! And the present underneath that I can't open til Crimbo! :<3::):tort: Thanks @JSWallace Itchy fingers, but I'll resist.
Third Left : From Sabine! including lots of stickers of tortoises. :<3::tort::<3: And the two seed packets - dandelions for the Tidge! The cover looks a bit like a Chumbley from Doctor Who. :
9185133.jpg

And finally, two little monsters about to incinerate the nativity scene. From Lena! Thank you so much, my friend. :):<3::D
Merry Christmas Everyone!

You’re welcome Adam[emoji851][emoji217]
Good to see you too [emoji847]