COLD DARK ROOM

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Yes Tidgys dad is still sticking his head out now and then. Even when he doesn't have enough time. Your tortoise count is the first thing I see when I open the tortoise forum thing on my home screen. I'm so happy to have found this place because it's really helping me understand what I'm doing right. But more important what I'm doing wrong. I read every question from new members because the messages from older members helps me just as much as it does them....and the cold dark room can get really interesting...
:):):)

Bee62

Germany
I don't think I've heard the story behind the penguins... @Bee62 Sabine, how did Silly and Willy come about?

Now, I do have a tuxedo cat (the one Loki's offspring adopted and trained) named Whoosh. It's possible he's that dark blur chasing after the Wool Spider (if she exists). If she does exist, I think he wants more cat toys...
I`ve introduced Silly & Willy to the Cold Dark Room with Adam`s permission. I think it was in 2017.:) Since then they are living here but mostly unseen by other members. I feed them and take care of them. Nice creatures they are. Adam loves penguins too. That is why he had allowed me to take them into the CDR. :D

Bee62

Germany
Oh, that reminds me... Loki's first litter (of four) all have the same baby daddy, and she picked out the most gorgeous tomcat in the neighborhood. Big, fluffy, blue eyes, flame point... Looks like the Great Abominable Snow Kitty...who lives in Florida, no less!

Back then, Loki was a feral outside cat, and we put food out on the front porch for her. Her suitor would occasionally drop by to share some of the cat food on the porch. There was one opossum that liked to come up onto the porch after dark for the cat food. It was big enough that most cats gave it a wide berth. Until one evening...

When Loki's great big fluffy Behemoth Casanova of a tomcat..... made the opossum back down. At night. From the food. From the porch. He did the unthinkable, and he didn't have to use his claws or teeth to do it, either.

This would be the sire of Dragon, Cattley, Wampa, and Pixie.
Funny story, - but not for the opossum.:)

Bee62

Germany
View attachment 261754

A nostalgic note from me. During this latest visit to Turkey, I didn’t get to see Dost, the stray Anatolian shepherd that had adopted us. Reportedly, he doesn’t stop by too often anymore, and he has apparently grown quite old.

He was already getting old when we lived there, which led some younger dogs to believe occasionally that they could attack him and which made me get involved in dog fights, together with my trusty broom...

I really love that dog and miss him a lot. One of the many good reasons why I didn’t want to leave Turkey. But even together, those good reasons didn’t outweigh the only reason why leaving was and is the right decision. :(
That is sad. Do you think Dost is dead ? Stray dogs and stray cats are living a cruel and dangerous life everywhere. You have made the only and right decision to leave Turkey for the life of your daughter, I know. :<3:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good mornooning, roommates!
Daughter’s on the mend and back to school today. I have some chores to do, and a meeting at the school in the afternoon. And I really need to get back into the work mode after the holidays. Your cards are the only thing remaining after and reminding me about Christmas.

So glad the strep has been squashed! Enjoy your day easing back into normalcy...[emoji6]

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
G’day all.

Wind and rain blew in overnight. Temperatures are plumetting. Snowfall knocking at our back door. Time to top up the bird feeders, dig out the snow shovel. Stock the fridge.

Yesterday looked more like early October than early January.

View attachment 261760

Stunning as always.. I’m not meant for the colder states but the pictures sure are nice!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
That is sad. Do you think Dost is dead ? Stray dogs and stray cats are living a cruel and dangerous life everywhere. You have made the only and right decision to leave Turkey for the life of your daughter, I know. :<3:

Maybe not yet, but I doubt I’ll see him again. :(

I didn’t mean to make you sad, but I keep thinking about my four-legged loved ones, and it’s important for me to remember them. [emoji173]️

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning everyone.

This is a “see ya laters post” as I really must knuckle under and get stuff done for the trade show. I will try to pop in occasionally to dust and polish Montgomery as he does like the attention, but will have to behave myself and not spend too much time on the interweb for the next three weeks.

Have fun!
Oh sorry I missed you. Good luck with the trade show.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The interesting thing about kayaking the same general areas time and time again is that, like with many things, it’s always changing. Sun, rain, wind, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter. High tide, low tide. Lots of birds or none. Clouds a plenty or none. People on boats or none or some. Tomorrow brings high winds coupled with arctic temps, we won’t know what’s around the bend.

Speaking of bends. This big old log recently floated here and is now stuck on this little peninsula. There are even markings every few feet where beavers have made an attempt to chew this thing up.

View attachment 261719
What a stunning photo.