COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I wonder if his sat nav took him the wrong way - mine has a mind of its own!
Those swifts need to be fit as fiddles before they take off then.....hope they all make it!

There is a problem with lorry drivers using car sat navs rather than the more expensive version designed for large vehicles. As a result they get stuck in lanes. We have huge problem with it in Kent, usually with foreign registered lorries.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was thinking more about traffic problems, but maybe I will have left for my own school before the parents start the dropping off at the gates.
In our country the traffic is slow but regulated around a school and police watching. I don't know what it would be like for you...but it does look nice.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We have an extra air pump we pop in whenever temperatures are set to climb. With temperatures due to be ridiculous by Thursday, the air pump has just gone in the tank.

Our aquarium is in the living room which runs from front (south side) to back (north side) of our house. We also keep the curtains closed on the south side Windows to help keep the room cool (it helps keep the algae down too)

If you have fluorescent tube lighting then turn them off in the hottest weather. They chuck out a fair amount of heat. We have LED lights which are cooler.

You can also do a partial water change. - take a bucket of water out and replace it with a bucket of cooler water.

If water temperature still climbs, take the lid off the aquarium and point a fan at the water surface. (Works well unless you have a jumper!)
Possibly the air pump might be the best idea for my betta. The temperature didn't get too high or low it just stayed within the proper temps even with our outside heat wave. He seems to enjoy being around the filter sometimes. I was worried that a bubbler would bother him but maybe that's what he needed.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good evenooning everyone. I had to do an fill in shift at the rescue today as they’re short of volunteers due to people going on holiday.

I was late as a lorry had tried to go down lanes that are barely wide enough for cars and got stuck.
View attachment 277093

Only one photo today... of juvenile Swifts. Once they fly, they may not land for 3 years ... when they nest.
View attachment 277094
Is that a little chimney swift?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Possibly the air pump might be the best idea for my betta. The temperature didn't get too high or low it just stayed within the proper temps even with our outside heat wave. He seems to enjoy being around the filter sometimes. I was worried that a bubbler would bother him but maybe that's what he needed.

Ours love it when the air stone goes in. They become much more active. As the water warms up, it holds less oxygen and the activity levels of the fish decline.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is that a little chimney swift?

Similar idea, but different species. Our Common swift is Apus apus and a little bigger than the chimney swift, Chaetura pelagica.

Common swifts are 16–17 cm (6.3–6.7 in) long with a wingspan of 38–40 cm (15–16 in). Chimney swifts are 12 to 15 cm (4.7 to 5.9 in) in length with a wingspan of 27 to 30 cm (11 to 12 in)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning everyone. Some parts of the country had massive thunderstorms last night, but they bypassed Kent. It was 27C/80F inside our house when we went to bed and it’s no cooler this morning. We had a fan on all night, ditched the duvet and slept under a sheet instead. It is still horribly humid.

Today is a day of governor meetings. I am hoping the air conditioning is working at both schools I must go to.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Good mornooning everyone. Some parts of the country had massive thunderstorms last night, but they bypassed Kent. It was 27C/80F inside our house when we went to bed and it’s no cooler this morning. We had a fan on all night, ditched the duvet and slept under a sheet instead. It is still horribly humid.

Today is a day of governor meetings. I am hoping the air conditioning is working at both schools I must go to.
We had thunder last night, no rain though. We could use some as the ground is starting to crack.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl