COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Hi Heather.
Another blustery wet night for us, but I was so tired from the lack of sleep the night before I slept through it all!
Not made any decisions yet.
I've driven past the bungalow a few times at different times to get feel for the area.
It's pretty busy and the school has a car boot sale every Sunday during term times so that adds to the traffic.
It's still a possible, and it's been up for sale since January with no offers so they may consider a lower price if I decide to go for it but also looking to see what else is out there.

Yep.. I think you always find the best deal when you are not pressured to look... well I’m excited to see what all you find or how much the price drops on this one:) GOOD LUCK!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You might want to talk to a couple neighbors to ask why they think the house isn't selling

The British market is pretty flat right now. People aren’t moving due to economic worries, including Brexit.

Also, house prices are starting to fall in some areas and vendors are advertising too high a price more in hope than expectation.

Here in England and Wales (and I do mean England & Wales... the system is different in Scotland), we have a more complex system than those of you in the US are used to.

We end up up with a “property chain” ... the purchase of your new home depends on the sale of your old one and the vendor of your new home purchasing their new home. All contracts are exchanged on the same day.

In a perfect world the chain is short; the buyer of your property has nothing to sell and the seller of your new home isn’t buying another. However, it can be lengthy and the purchase can be affected by someone else having problems with selling their home.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The British market is pretty flat right now. People aren’t moving due to economic worries, including Brexit.

Also, house prices are starting to fall in some areas and vendors are advertising too high a price more in hope than expectation.

Here in England and Wales (and I do mean England & Wales... the system is different in Scotland), we have a more complex system than those of you in the US are used to.

We end up up with a “property chain” ... the purchase of your new home depends on the sale of your old one and the vendor of your new home purchasing their new home. All contracts are exchanged on the same day.

In a perfect world the chain is short; the buyer of your property has nothing to sell and the seller of your new home isn’t buying another. However, it can be lengthy and the purchase can be affected by someone else having problems with selling their home.

At first I thought you were making reference to “gazumping” but I checked Mr Google to refresh my memory, and I see that it’s not the same...

Gazumping occurs when a seller (especially of property) accepts a verbal offer (a promise to purchase) on the property from one potential buyer, but then accepts a higher offer from someone else. It can also refer to the seller raising the asking price or asking for more money at the last minute, after previously verbally agreeing to a lower one. In either case, the original buyer is left in a bad situation, and either has to offer a higher price or lose the purchase.[1] The term gazumping is most commonly used in the UK, Ireland and Australia, although similar practices can be found in some other jurisdictions.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You might want to talk to a couple neighbors to ask why they think the house isn't selling
Yes I would do that.
My guess is that the school puts some people off but I also want to make sure there are no new developments planned on open land nearby, although this is the only property for sale in the area. I would expect a few others to be on the market too if developers had plans nearby.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sunday is my day off (Yvonne's conscience says, "How can you tell the difference between Sunday and every other day when you're keeping the seat of your recliner warm?" , so I'm sitting here in my recliner working jig saw and find the hidden object puzzles. I vaguely notice that Misty seems restless, moving from one spot to lay down, then to another. When she settled next to my chair I looked over at her and noticed a tiny bit of foam on her bottom lip. I said, "What's the matter, Honey? Do you have to go outside and eat some grass?". To which she replied by getting animated and looking expectantly at me. So I set the Kindle aside, got up and went to the front door. Holding the door open I called for her to come, but she just sat there, stubbornly looking at me. The reason I chose the front door over the back door is because there's better, more edible grass out front. I don't want to have to mow the backyard , so I don't water out there.

When she wouldn't come I closed the door and asked, "Do you want to go out back?". To which she replied by jumping up and excitedly rushing towards the back door. She kept looking back at me to make sure I was coming too.

So we go out back and she rushes over to her potty spot and proceeds to squat and pee, after which she trots back to the door to go back inside.

What the heck?
Misty obviously likes her potty spot!
Like torts - creatures of habit!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all and Happy Monday!
I'm just off to collect some dandies and plantains for Lola.
He is eating like a little horse at the moment and I'm finding it hard to keep up with him - thank goodness for the salad bags to add to the weeds.
Have a good day and see you later.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At first I thought you were making reference to “gazumping” but I checked Mr Google to refresh my memory, and I see that it’s not the same...

Gazumping occurs when a seller (especially of property) accepts a verbal offer (a promise to purchase) on the property from one potential buyer, but then accepts a higher offer from someone else. It can also refer to the seller raising the asking price or asking for more money at the last minute, after previously verbally agreeing to a lower one. In either case, the original buyer is left in a bad situation, and either has to offer a higher price or lose the purchase.[1] The term gazumping is most commonly used in the UK, Ireland and Australia, although similar practices can be found in some other jurisdictions.

Gazumping might be a cause of the chain to break.

A property chain would look something like this:

Buyer (living in rented)

\|/ Buys

Lyn’s House and Lyn

\|/ Buys

House B whose seller

\|/ Buys

House C (owner gone into a retirement home)

All the sale contracts would be exchanged by solicitors on the same day. If the chain is lengthy, it can take months to get everything lined up!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning/afternoon all and Happy Monday!
I'm just off to collect some dandies and plantains for Lola.
He is eating like a little horse at the moment and I'm finding it hard to keep up with him - thank goodness for the salad bags to add to the weeds.
Have a good day and see you later.

Go Lola! It’s good to hear you’re eating properly [emoji4]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes I would do that.
My guess is that the school puts some people off but I also want to make sure there are no new developments planned on open land nearby, although this is the only property for sale in the area. I would expect a few others to be on the market too if developers had plans nearby.
Having a school nearby does come with some problems. The school bus stops right in front of my house and the kids make a mess out there, dropping candy wrappers and juice boxes, paper trash, etc. I swear parents these days are raising a generation of litterers!