COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternooning all.

None days ago I showed you this little hedgehog at 3 weeks old
View attachment 281988
She was born at the rescue and is being raised by Mum. Today she is exactly one month old look how she’s grown. :)
View attachment 281989
She has grown quite a bit. Especially if you look at her in comparison with the human hand next to her. ;)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yesterday was kayaking, today a few more hours of getting some additional wood/supplies and cutting in the entrance way into Sully’s new enclosure. Amazing how much time it takes to just LOOK at 50 types and sizes of hinges, but not buy anything.

Tomorrow - 15 mile kayaking trip around Wye Island over on Maryland’s Eastern Shore! Weather is reportedly gonna be perfect.

Here are a few pix of the newly created entrance way.

View attachment 282001 View attachment 282002 View attachment 282003
I wish I had your patience and ability. Loving the pics.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
We stayed at a Marriott resort and I loved their pillows. So I went to their website and bought 2 for 140 bucks. Obviously not the same pillow. After 2 weeks the fill compacted and it was like all my other pillows.

Made the same mistake again after buying some from Holiday Inn.
Sigh, A really good pillow is so hard to find. Yet in the olden days way back when most people only had their arms for a pillow. And if they were rich, probably a pillow case and straw. And I don't think they had many back problems etc as people do today. Buuuuttt then again they were also a lot more active and did not sit in front of TV's or computers all day long everyday. So maybe it is not the pillows which are the problems. But I agree, I also struggle to find a decent pillow.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Morning All

Cold and overcast here today, but I’m sure the sun will play peek-a-boo all day. A nice Autumn day.

Sooooo, in addition to having a great kayaking trip yesterday, we experienced an interesting event at the end of our paddle.

This week we’ve had a fuller than normal moon coupled with a large low pressure storm out in the Atlantic. Storms and celestial effects coupled with normal high tide periods caused water to flood up and into our car park where we put in for the day of kayaking.

Check these pix out...

View attachment 282065 View attachment 282066 View attachment 282067 View attachment 282068
Talk about paddling right up to your car door. :D:D:D

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well Good Monday Morning All,

I missed Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But at least I am back today. We had a nice and sunny weekend. The torts went outside of course, and I noticed that since Rue has officially become a boy, he has been giving Harry a hard time. And don't be like Jarrod and take that the wrong way. Anyway I am going to have to create a new enclosure for Rue so that the others will have a break and not get harassed all the time. Today it was overcast when I left, so I did not take them outside. Does anybody know when exactly they become fertile? Is it when they start flashing or is there more maturity that needs to be attained first?
upload_2019-10-14_10-23-12.png

upload_2019-10-14_10-23-45.png

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sigh, A really good pillow is so hard to find. Yet in the olden days way back when most people only had their arms for a pillow. And if they were rich, probably a pillow case and straw. And I don't think they had many back problems etc as people do today. Buuuuttt then again they were also a lot more active and did not sit in front of TV's or computers all day long everyday. So maybe it is not the pillows which are the problems. But I agree, I also struggle to find a decent pillow.
Remember the goose down pillows? I remember as a kid when the down would start to poke me. Pulling the feather thru the pillow.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK

I missed Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But at least I am back today. We had a nice and sunny weekend. The torts went outside of course, and I noticed that since Rue has officially become a boy, he has been giving Harry a hard time. And don't be like Jarrod and take that the wrong way. Anyway I am going to have to create a new enclosure for Rue so that the others will have a break and not get harassed all the time. Today it was overcast when I left, so I did not take them outside. Does anybody know when exactly they become fertile? Is it when they start flashing or is there more maturity that needs to be attained first?
View attachment 282111

View attachment 282112
How often does he flash?:D

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Im doing a road trip to florida next week, anyone has any tips for me before I go? Also, is there a place where there is certainly going to be mazuri ?:D
p.s. I've never been more south than Plattsburg NY.
Im doing a road trip to florida next week, anyone has any tips for me before I go? Also, is there a place where there is certainly going to be mazuri ?:D
Exit 173 malabar Rd. off of I-95. There is a feed and seed store about 1 mile from the exit. That's where I get mine. I will send you the address and phone number.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
How often does he flash?:D
Actually I have only caught him flashing at me the one time. But he has been giving Harry a hard time. I caught him trying to climb Harry in the outside enclosure and then afterwards following Harry around. It was the same behavior as Blue always displays when he is getting amorous with Whitey.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

View attachment 282111

View attachment 282112
Beautiful torts!:)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Goodmorning everyone, I think I have inherited my dad's routine. Waking up early in the morning. I kinda like it but it is soooooo lonely. No wife no Opo. :(
Hope everyone has a good day!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you Ray. Unfortunately they are a little pyramided, seems to have crept in when I was not looking. :oops:
It is very minimal! I keep hoping Opo's will subside as he gets bigger. I was definitely raising him dry before I found TFO :(:mad:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Whoops just looked you won't be coming that far south on I-95.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Happy birthday Ben! It’s my daughter’s birthday tomorrow, my godson’s the day after and I know two others with birthdays over these 3 days... It’s a popular time of year!

Today I come from the rescue with photos of two birds of prey.

The first is a fledgling tawny owl, still a bit fluffy, that isn’t feeling too great and needs support feeding. She preferred to keep her etes closed so she couldn’t see us, but was clearly hungry :)
DDD970A4-1A68-4573-9498-350055ED40A1.jpeg
F3DDFB26-AC88-493E-AEF2-5F282A05A049.jpeg

And a female kestrel that we were also going to support-feed, but she had other ideas and wriggled free to demonstrate she could do it herself thank you very much! We were very surprised that the collared doves in the cages behind weren’t in the least bit bothered when she landed.
FC8FD5DB-A86A-4278-A001-3D4CC6D94658.jpeg
005D025B-DA8D-41FC-AF12-4F8666D1F0D5.jpeg