Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi all!
Sorry I was quite busy. :)
Hope everyone is fine here, I have plenty of things to read...
I had my team booster close to my hometown staying in a nice castle, we did mountainbiking, visiting a pastel factory & museum, a pharmaceutics & cometics plant (where I worked before) and ate a lot of nice things! :D
No fair! When you tell of trips and adventures you're supposed to provide pictures! I would have LOVED to have seen the castle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I finished mowing the leopard yard this morning. I didn't get a real good job accomplished because the grass in there is VERY thick. Not so tall as the desert tortoise yard, but very thick. I think it's a type of hybrid Bermuda, not the regular Bermuda like what's in the desert tortoise yard. I went over the yard with the cutting deck set up on high, then tried to go over it again on low, but it kept bogging down, so I had to mow it a second time on 3 (two up from low).

Before:
leopard yard before.jpg

Leopard yard after:
leopard yard after.jpg

And LOOK at how BIG my leopard factory's back legs are. "The better to dig with, my dear!":
leopard yard after a.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
While I was sitting here looking at my pictures I realized I'm not utilizing my 'stuff' to its full potential. That black tub thing you see in the middle of the leopard yard is a garbage dumpster with the bottom cut off. I used the bottom a very long time ago as a temporary water turtle tub, leaving the sides idle. Then one day I decided to dig it down into the dirt in the then Aldabran yard and plant a tree and a grape vine in it. Last week-end William cut down the tree for me because it had large seeds that I was afraid the tortoises might choke on (Empress tree), leaving the grape vine. The distance between the top of the tub and the soil inside it is about a foot. It would be a perfect place for young tortoises to spend the day. Funny that never occurred to me before. I think tomorrow I'll clean it out and add some hiding places, a feeding tile and waterer and get it ready for young tortoises in the spring. You know? There's just never a dull moment when you have tortoises. You can always find something to occupy your time!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
While I was sitting here looking at my pictures I realized I'm not utilizing my 'stuff' to its full potential. That black tub thing you see in the middle of the leopard yard is a garbage dumpster with the bottom cut off. I used the bottom a very long time ago as a temporary water turtle tub, leaving the sides idle. Then one day I decided to dig it down into the dirt in the then Aldabran yard and plant a tree and a grape vine in it. Last week-end William cut down the tree for me because it had large seeds that I was afraid the tortoises might choke on (Empress tree), leaving the grape vine. The distance between the top of the tub and the soil inside it is about a foot. It would be a perfect place for young tortoises to spend the day. Funny that never occurred to me before. I think tomorrow I'll clean it out and add some hiding places, a feeding tile and waterer and get it ready for young tortoises in the spring. You know? There's just never a dull moment when you have tortoises. You can always find something to occupy your time!
Haha! Great idea... I love your Factory Representative... he’s a big Un for sure!!!
“ My, what big feet you have my dear....”

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
The little newborn puppy that I had placed a deposit on had some issues and the whole deal spooked me a bit so Hubby & I decided to go a different route. We picked out a new puppy from a new breeder that’s very healthy.. she’s also ready NOW... so I’m leaving after work and school to go pick her up. They are meeting me halfway so it’s only a few hours drive. Now that the decision is final, I’m so EXCITED... I’m also nervous. Haven’t had a puppy in 10+ years. I feel like I’m having another kid.

BDDA1626-6A85-421D-BC18-AE357ED2FAE6.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Oh that is such a great memory.
Your visit is also and brought back mine. What was really ironic is I can't stand to wear jewelry and she knew that. I like making it and looking at it though. She was really excited when she found it for me and told mutual friends about it. How she had found the perfect present for me and it was.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The little newborn puppy that I had placed a deposit on had some issues and the whole deal spooked me a bit so Hubby & I decided to go a different route. We picked out a new puppy from a new breeder that’s very healthy.. she’s also ready NOW... so I’m leaving after work and school to go pick her up. They are meeting me halfway so it’s only a few hours drive. Now that the decision is final, I’m so EXCITED... I’m also nervous. Haven’t had a puppy in 10+ years. I feel like I’m having another kid.
Have sooo much fun!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Sooo cute!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Amazing how long all the extra little details take in a project! Added weather stripping around the top of Sully’s new enclosure, cut a few extra pieces of flooring to act as an extra (removable) floor, removed Kane mat from current outdoor house & relocated to new indoor enclosure, secured & wired new RHP, moved enclosure to final resting spot, placed the top/lid on, drilled holes & installed hinges, rebuilt wall in Sully's indoor space, vacuumed the area.

Two more pieces of reinforcing wooden pieces need to be screwed in to keep the Kane mat from being moved about.

Whew....

Tomorrow is 68F and SUNNY! = kayaking day

Almost totally done with Sully's indoor area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Haha! Great idea... I love your Factory Representative... he’s a big Un for sure!!!
“ My, what big feet you have my dear....”
She's not the "Representative," she's the actual factory. She gives me 3, sometimes 4 clutches of eggs a year, from 15 to 20 eggs per clutch, and most of them hatch. Factory, right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

View attachment 282607
Oh my gosh! Just look at that cute little squished in face!! And I LOVE the black tri-color. Be sure to take lots of pictures for us.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Do you just try to shoe him out the door? And say go play? I think I remember that Opo weighs a bit. My Saphire is just a little rock.
I have no problem with him going out he loves to graze. My problem is my yard isn't fenced in. So he likes to wonder out of the yard. If he goes to the back of the yard it turns into a jungle behind me. I am waiting to see if my insurance is going to pay for a pool. So I am not sure where I can put a shed and wont have access for the shed if I get a fence. :mad:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well I almost caught up here. Got my mother in law on the plane about 5 PM. She will be in the Philippines at 11PM EST tomorrow. Tore my meniscus in my left leg. Cant hardly walk on it. Go for x-ray next tues. So PT is on hold for now. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Depending on that leg all the time puts a lot of added strain on my knee.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Forgot to add, after 11 emails to the contact person for the establishment that had the sulcata's in undesirable conditions. I finally got a response, they asked for a list of concerns I have and will bring them to the proper personnel. I kept trying email first because I wanted to create a paper trail.
Hope this works out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well I almost caught up here. Got my mother in law on the plane about 5 PM. She will be in the Philippines at 11PM EST tomorrow. Tore my meniscus in my left leg. Cant hardly walk on it. Go for x-ray next tues. So PT is on hold for now. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Depending on that leg all the time puts a lot of added strain on my knee.
Oh for Pete's sake, Ray. You just can't catch a break!