COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Right now I can't pick up Opo. It's been about 2 or 3 weeks now. He is to big to use one hand. With the sore on the other I can't put my prosthetic arm on. Good thing my wife comes to the rescue.
Do you just try to shoe him out the door? And say go play? I think I remember that Opo weighs a bit. My Saphire is just a little rock.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello My friends... My little Yorke Teddy passed on last night and today has been incredibly hard. Last night was the first time in 24 yrs that I didn’t have a house dog. My first was Jake. I got Teddy right before Jake passed at 16 yrs and then passed every night since with Teddy... Coming home today to an empty house was especially tough.. I am grateful for every minute I had but it may take me a while to get the smile back..
I am so sorry to hear about Teddy, I've only just seen this post.
Although I know your new puppy can't replace him, I'm sure he will help fill the gap you've probably felt in your lives since he passed and I'm sure Teddy would be happy you are giving another little pup a loving home.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello hello hello! I figured you were so busy going back to work and teaching that you really didn't have a lot of extra time. I'm just really glad though to "not see you" yet see you.
Hi Cathie, we've had lots of paper work this past few weeks as well as the usual workload, most of it had to be done at home in the evenings.
I hope all is well with you and your family.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Managed to catch up on all the posts since my last visit, and now it's time for bed!
Hopefully I won't have to leave it as long before I pop in again.
Until then take care.
Nos Da.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi Cathie, we've had lots of paper work this past few weeks as well as the usual workload, most of it had to be done at home in the evenings.
I hope all is well with you and your family.
It is and I hope the same for you. It sounds like while you're at home working you can keep a watchful eye on Lola. That's my best thing about so called retirement.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I've been looking at those for a new indoor hide for Lola.
At the moment he has the central heating on all night with a che, but I want to reduce my bills so I've been looking at a bigger hide with a RHP on a thermostat inside it.
I'm nervous about finding the right sort and wattage though so will be looking for any advice I can get.

Hhm, why nervous about the wattage? As long as you have it hooked into a thermostat you’re good. It turns on & off to maintain what you set on the thermostat. These RHP’S provide a nice warming heat, like a comfy radiator that slowly emanates heat. Nothing to be nervous about. Much better than a CHE.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I get that occasionally, but not enough that it annoys me - hopefully it will stay that way.
I usually think it's a joke. One asked if I was sure I wanted to like Yavonne's post. It doesn't happen to me often...but I'm sure it's not personal from the site. Soo...

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
What a beautiful way to go back and visit. The last Christmas present my mom bought me was a necklace. It was a dove charm. Later in the year at her funeral a bird sat on a limb above her and would not shut up. I couldn't even hear the preacher because of that bird. The truth is that little bird gave me more anyway.
Oh that is such a great memory.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Gorgeous pictures Carol.
Your mum was quite young when you lost her and you must have been a youngster yourself.
I'm sure she would be very proud of everything you've achieved though.
Ahhh, thank you Lyn, Yip she was young, I was telling my husband that I am officially a year older than she was when she passed away. And I still feel so young. When you are a kid your parents are always old, it is just the way it is, because there is the ingrained respect and feeling that they are way older than you. So when my Mom passed away i did not really think about how young she actually was or at least I knew she was but just could not relate to it. Now that I am a year older than she was and I think about how I feel, it really brings it home how young she actually was.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternoon evening all - I'm back again with even more catching up to do!
I've had a mountain of school work to do the last couple of weeks and visitors the last 2 weekends so not had much time to pop in.
The trouble is when I do pop in I can easily lose a couple of hours so I've had to be strict with myself!
I hope everyone is well, but I will attempt to read as many of your past posts as possible.
If there's any big news please let me know as it may take a while for me to find it for myself.
Welcome back. We missed you, but we also understand. Sometimes our everyday lives do take over. As long as you pop in every now and then we can live with that.;):D

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
This past summer I had to wait for mid afternoon to carry Saphire outside to his outdoor enclosure. It was so hot! I could only get him a few hours a day in sunlight. But he did get it. That's pretty bad when it could cook a tortoise. My outside ground temps were showing 129°f in his enclosure in the mornings. Later it would cool to around 95°f. Still too hot for me but he could sit under his little tree and he enjoyed it.
Sounds like Saphire was in tort heaven.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Aww!! Congratulations!
They have such funny faces!
They do snore loudly though!!
I believe they are very prone to heat stroke too.
My sister was looking after her friend's bull dog a couple of summers ago, and took it out for walk, brought it home and made sure it drank lots of water, then left it indoors while she went out and sadly it had died by the time she got back. The vet said it was heatstroke, my sister was devastated and it was very upsetting for her friends family too.
Oh shame that is so sad. I did not know that they suffered from heat stroke.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good Wednesday everyone,
Glad to not see Lyn back again.
Mark I love your new heat box for Sully. You do really nice and neat work.
Yvonne can I borrow your lawn mower, although with I would probably go round in one circle and be finished with my mowing. LOL but it would still be fun.
It is raining over here, Yayy any water for my garden is awesome.
Anyway We are almost to the weekend. Halfway there. Have an awesome Wednesday everyone.

Bébert81

Toulouse, France
Hi all!
Sorry I was quite busy. :)
Hope everyone is fine here, I have plenty of things to read...
I had my team booster close to my hometown staying in a nice castle, we did mountainbiking, visiting a pastel factory & museum, a pharmaceutics & cometics plant (where I worked before) and ate a lot of nice things! :D

Last edited:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Welcome back. We missed you, but we also understand. Sometimes our everyday lives do take over. As long as you pop in every now and then we can live with that.;):D

I have missed both of you! @Lyn W too.. y’all both have been MIA a lot... but I understand how life goes... it’s busy:) your trip was beautiful Carol. I hope you had a lot of happy memories with your mom to balance the pain of loss... and I’m glad your back in the swing of things Lyn. I hope the children are a joy to you instead of a headache.. LOL

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hi all!
Sorry I was quite busy. :)
Hope everyone is fine here, I have plenty of things to read...
I had my team booster close to my hometown staying in a nice castle, we did mountainbiking, visiting a pastel factory & museum, a pharmaceutics & cometics plant (where I worked before) and ate a lot of nice things! :D
That sounds like a nice adventure!!! I would love to stay in a castle and tour grounds.. I think Ireland calls to me sometimes!