COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Good Monday everyone.

Congratulations to Linda on England's win against the All Blacks. Now we are going to be on opposing sides for the final. May the best team win.
WE had some beautiful rain over the weekend. I bought a 120lt drum to catch more rain water and it was filled up within 20 minutes there after it just over flowed and I cried at all the water that was wasted and went into the ground. Oh well at least I have a little bit more water for my garden than I had before.
It was a huge win. Sadly, from my point of view, Wales lost RSA next day and England lost to RSA next day.

well done South Africa. You played better today!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HELP!!!! Hello I have a baby Greek tortoise who’s a male. I really want to have two baby Greeks. If I purchase a baby male Greek tortoise and raise them up together would the males fight when older or would they be friends or family since they would be grown up in the same enclosure. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.
Hayden has started this thread in the Greek section. There is no need for us to reply to it here in the CDR.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Happy Saturday all. Sorry I have been gone so long, but I have been out and about doing things and not having the app makes getting on here a pain.

All is well, if rather windy and wet, in my corner of the UK. Daughter has a new flatmate and son has an interview for a new job.

If the weather improves we might go out birdwatching tomorrow. I can’t post photos because the forum is broken and won’t let me :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HELP!!!! Hello I have a baby Greek tortoise who’s a male. I really want to have two baby Greeks. If I purchase a baby male Greek tortoise and raise them up together would the males fight when older or would they be friends or family since they would be grown up in the same enclosure. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.
Hi Haydn I'm sure you've already received lots of good advice and warnings about keeping pairs of torts in the other thread, but you're always welcome to come and talk nonsense with us in the CDR

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Getting cold. :eek: We went trick-or-treating in the rain. Apparently some places in Quebec moved Halloween to today because of the weather, but our mayor said, "You never know. The weather could be even worse the next day. This is Canada." And he was right! :eek: How are you, Lyn?
All good with me thanks Lena, I've had a week's holiday from school for half term but back in in Monday,
So back to the grind stone but rehearsals will start for the Xmas concert which will break things up a bit.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just to keep you all in the loop - The Tortoise Forum has grown too big for its britches and has to be moved to a larger space (that's why pictures are sporadic). He's trying to move us so as to not lose any of our historical data and with the least possible interruption. So please understand - he IS working on it and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Anyone wondering if we’re mostly to blame for this? :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That’s like the one I used for Joe. It might be on the small side for Lola
Hi Linda good to see you back with us.
It's only for night use in his room, much bigger than his current hide, which is the top off a covered cat litter tray, and big enough for me to heat with something that I'm undecided on yet. Either a RHP, or a tubular heater or just his che - also been looking at heated mats. I just want to be able to contain his heat and turn my central heating off at night.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It was a huge win. Sadly, from my point of view, Wales lost RSA next day and England lost to RSA next day.

well done South Africa. You played better today!
Yes disappointing about the Wales game - I've seen them beat RSA a couple of times in Cardiff,but the best team won today so congratulations to RSA!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Happy Saturday all. Sorry I have been gone so long, but I have been out and about doing things and not having the app makes getting on here a pain.

All is well, if rather windy and wet, in my corner of the UK. Daughter has a new flatmate and son has an interview for a new job.

If the weather improves we might go out birdwatching tomorrow. I can’t post photos because the forum is broken and won’t let me :(
Rather soggy in Wales too and we've had very high winds.
Hope all goes well with daughter's new roomie and good luck to Joesbro for the interview - is it a new company or within the one he is with now?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And so the family grows. Already love them. Hope they don't give you too much trouble, Yvonne. :<3:
I hope to be cat-sitting, in my home, a three-legged orange tabby from Iran sometime in January.
I never used to be very fond of the orange kitties, but since I took in Charlie, a stray, I've grown to really like them. Here's Charlie at the back door begging to come in:

Well, you'll just have to imagine his pretty face at the back door, as the gremlins won't allow my picture to open.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought I was going to be able to find a 'work around' for posting pictures, and I sent the picture of Charlie at my back door to myself in an email. Then I was going to copy/paste it here. But my computer is smarter than I. Earlier I answered a post and added a copy/paste picture from Google of a CHE, and when I 'paste' charlie's picture here, the CHE shows up. No matter if I 'esc' the CHE picture and re-copy Charlie's picture, that's all that will post. So, my friends, here is Charlie at my back door, looking in the window at me:

CE-100_Ceramic_Infrared_Heat_Emitter_Alt.jpg

LOL!!!!!

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How cool..... That’s a piece of history that I did not know:)
It used to be good fun, and still could be if they confined it to the 5th, but now it seems to go on for the best of a week with people having fireworks days before and even after it. The fireworks are also more like bombs going off rather than pretty displays - it plays havoc with pets because there isn't just one night anymore when people know to keep there animals indoors.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I thought I was going to be able to find a 'work around' for posting pictures, and I sent the picture of Charlie at my back door to myself in an email. Then I was going to copy/paste it here. But my computer is smarter than I. Earlier I answered a post and added a copy/paste picture from Google of a CHE, and when I 'paste' charlie's picture here, the CHE shows up. No matter if I 'exit' the CHE picture and re-copy Charlie's picture, that's all that will post. So, my friends, here is Charlie at my back door, looking in the window at me:

CE-100_Ceramic_Infrared_Heat_Emitter_Alt.jpg

LOL!!!!!
A Cat heating emitter!
Not quite the cute kitty we were expecting!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Linda good to see you back with us.
It's only for night use in his room, much bigger than his current hide, which is the top off a covered cat litter tray, and big enough for me to heat with something that I'm undecided on yet. Either a RHP, or a tubular heater or just his che - also been looking at heated mats. I just want to be able to contain his heat and turn my central heating off at night.
It would probably work for that as long as the door is wide enough.

I lined it with that silver bubble wrap stuff that you can buy from B&Q to go behind radiators (use a staple gun)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Rather soggy in Wales too and we've had very high winds.
Hope all goes well with daughter's new roomie and good luck to Joesbro for the interview - is it a new company or within the one he is with now?
A different company. So far he’s had two Skype interviews with people in the USA. The next step is to meet the UK management. It’s a global financial services business that wants an in-house design team in the UK. He currently works for a small company that does design for lots of businesses

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It would probably work for that as long as the door is wide enough.

I lined it with that silver bubble wrap stuff that you can buy from B&Q to go behind radiators (use a staple gun)
Yes I checked that and all good.
I have a roll of that to add an extra layer too - he should be warmer than he is at the moment anyway, and hopefully my bills should start to come down.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It used to be good fun, and still could be if they confined it to the 5th, but now it seems to go on for the best of a week with people having fireworks days before and even after it. The fireworks are also more like bombs going off rather than pretty displays - it plays havoc with pets because there isn't just one night anymore when people know to keep there animals indoors.
The fireworks started yesterday here :(

The town public display is tomorrow. Fireworks will be going off every night until next weekend is over I expect.