COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I have had so much time off that my work load has been crazy the past couple days... it’s good to be missed but DANG!!! Monday and Tuesday will be full days too because I’ll have to be in Houston Wednesday - Friday next week for meetings... I’m taking Cinder with me so that may lighten my mood some... I hate traveling for work!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternooning all.

Our children returned to their respective homes on new year’s day. We went for a long walk with the binoculars on Thursday which was unremarkable as the weather was grey and there wasn’t a lot about, but it was good to get some fresh air. Yesterday, I met with friends from my moderator forum in Salisbury (infamous for Russians with an alleged interest in its 123m cathedral spire). Today we have packed up the Christmas decorations, cleaned and returned the house to its normal state.

We have also got our suitcases out of the roof and are starting to pack for our long trip... less than 3 weeks to go!

I hope all is well in your corner of the CDR/world :)

Bambam1989

East Texas
I have had so much time off that my work load has been crazy the past couple days... it’s good to be missed but DANG!!! Monday and Tuesday will be full days too because I’ll have to be in Houston Wednesday - Friday next week for meetings... I’m taking Cinder with me so that may lighten my mood some... I hate traveling for work!!!
I'll be going to Houston today. There is an art show there that I am going to scope out. If I like it I'll be putting in an application to try and get in.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good afternooning all.

Our children returned to their respective homes on new year’s day. We went for a long walk with the binoculars on Thursday which was unremarkable as the weather was grey and there wasn’t a lot about, but it was good to get some fresh air. Yesterday, I met with friends from my moderator forum in Salisbury (infamous for Russians with an alleged interest in its 123m cathedral spire). Today we have packed up the Christmas decorations, cleaned and returned the house to its normal state.

We have also got our suitcases out of the roof and are starting to pack for our long trip... less than 3 weeks to go!

I hope all is well in your corner of the CDR/world :)

Great...exciting times! I have most of our xmas decorations down as well. Need to wrap up the outdoor lights n box them up. The most difficult task is getting the extendable ladder out and up to the peak of the roof to take down our large wreath.

Trip....you will only be on Instagram?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Nice! I love a good bargain... I bet Dilly licking the air is pretty comical to watch!
The coat turned out to be great. I loved wearing it today. It's not a bargain if I can't feel comfortable wearing it. It felt great...and Dilly is another story!!! Last night he was trying new vocalizations. I promise I'm telling the truth. He was saying Noel...and other things too. I've been allowing Razberri to remain free at night with me since new years eve and even between Dilly talking and Razberri tapping me on the shoulder...I've been sleeping with a smile on my face.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Well the art show was a major let down. Not at all what I was hoping it to be. Some of the artists setup there were pretty good but most of them were... Not. Lots of people were there but the walkways were so small you couldn't hardly walk without plowing over someone who was trying to look at the art. We walked around, and tried to talk to the artists but it was like they didn't want to actually sell anything and would basically snub you. There was a nice couple who were selling handmade soaps that I chatted with (and bought some great smelling soap) they described it as more of a "show off your work" not a "actually sell the work" place. The people who did good there were the ones making jewelry, soaps, or other smaller items. The only one of us that enjoyed ourselves was Grim, he got to greet several dogs and people and was praised as being such a behaved pup.

Bee62

Germany
Big day today. To make a long story short, when I lived in England I purchased a nice old working “long case clock” aka a Grandfather clock. Moved back to the States, where it sat in storage. Then we moved back overseas for the next xx years, and clock was in storage. Finally moved back to the US, but our clock sustained some broken glass damage to the main face.
We never got the clock face/mechanism out due to the glass issue.

Sooooo, fast forward a few weeks back. Wifey met a guy who works on clocks. He not only got the new glass, but installed the glass AND got us two pieces for the pendulum that somehow weren't packed up .

Today, we got the clock mechanism in, weights hung, all in place. Started up with a gentle push of the pendulum and it rang at the top of the hour. Twenty five years in storage! and it has new life!

It was made by Tinkler, in Newcastle.

View attachment 284478 View attachment 284479
This is a very nice old clock. Good you gave it a "new life".

Last edited:

Bee62

Germany
Yea! Where's all the chitchat? My childhood nickname is Chatty Cathie. I'm afraid I'm going to explode.
Hey, chatty Cathie is a fine nick name. I was much talking in school too. Unfortunately not with the teacher. That`s why the teachers always sat my best girlfriend and me apart to each other.:mad::(:(:(
Please don`t explode. It will make such a bloody mess in here ....:D:p

Bee62

Germany
Overcast, rainy. No kayaking today. Clock is still running...

Thought Id give this one last snowman a bit of a bowler hat. Next step is to apply the inlay into the buttons, eyes, mouth. That will dry overnight & get turned off smooth before the parting off from the bottom, painting & varnishing. And adding in a nose!

The Snow Family Inspects a New Family Member
View attachment 284485
In Germany we sometimes take a piece of coal for a snowmans nose.:)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hey, chatty Cathie is a fine nick name. I was much talking in school too. Unfortunately not with the teacher. That`s why the teachers always sat my best girlfriend and me apart to each other.:mad::(:(:(
Please don`t explode. It will make such a bloody mess in here ....:D:p
Ohh so you were a busy little bee...hehehe

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well the art show was a major let down. Not at all what I was hoping it to be. Some of the artists setup there were pretty good but most of them were... Not. Lots of people were there but the walkways were so small you couldn't hardly walk without plowing over someone who was trying to look at the art. We walked around, and tried to talk to the artists but it was like they didn't want to actually sell anything and would basically snub you. There was a nice couple who were selling handmade soaps that I chatted with (and bought some great smelling soap) they described it as more of a "show off your work" not a "actually sell the work" place. The people who did good there were the ones making jewelry, soaps, or other smaller items. The only one of us that enjoyed ourselves was Grim, he got to greet several dogs and people and was praised as being such a behaved pup.
In those situations, have cheap prints of your work available for sale to help cover the cost of being there...that is if you like the show in the first place. You might get more commissioned jobs that way.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
In Germany we sometimes take a piece of coal for a snowmans nose.:)
That's interesting because around Roseville, Ohio there are artists that use coal. Sculptors carve beautiful little figurines of animals and more. Then put them for sale in various small family owned stores in the area. Roseville is well known for beautiful antique glass.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello everyone! It's a cool morning here.
I'm sorry your pup was feeling under the weather Heather.
Our Grim has definitely made things livelier. His intelligence is absolutely amazing. He has been with us for less than 2weeks and will already sit on command, and walks on the leash well. His favorite game is to "Go get my shoes" where he grabs a sandal and runs around the house with it til I call him to bring it to me in return for a treat. Then I'll ask him to get me my other shoe, which he happily does for another treat... He does this so much I have to hide my sandals so he will stop for a bit.
View attachment 284366
It's hard to get a good picture of Grim when he is awake. He moves so much. I had to do some finger waving just to get this one.
Grim sounds like an awesome dog.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
* Tiptoes in *

What on earth... ?

I assume that was caused by the one legged pirate? Oh ... and what’s the leprechaun doing there?

And Montgomery is definitely looking the worse for wear.

All the jellyfish are looking a sickly shade of green and they don’t want to be polished.

Oh my... the wool spider... if she exists... is going to have a dreadful hangover.

That must have been one heck of a new year’s eve party in here...

I suppose that’s the problem when the CDR is in so many time zones. They just kept celebrating midnight over and again! I’ll leave them in peace to recover and pop back later with some paracetamol

* Tiptoes out *
Oh dear. Poor buggers. Happy New Year.