COLD DARK ROOM

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Woodcrafting Christmas ornaments & baubles & trees & snowmen all done for the 2019 season. I have two last Snowmen that need a final spray of lacquer & hats attached. I might (still) have to start up an Etsy page just to get project funds!

Been out in the back garden cutting up our downed pine tree & cleaning up and found an old garden trowel that has seen better days. The plan is to clean up the rust & turn a new wooden handle. I have a piece of Willow Oak from branches I snipped in Fall - this will become the new handle.

The Start
View attachment 284941
Send us updates!!! I would like to see the process pan out, good luck : D

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hhmm. I don’t think it’s turning brown from mixing with air. It’s possibly taking on a tint from the ground it is in contact with. We have a few rivers here in Maryland that are almost black in color. One that comes to mind is the Pokomoke River.
  • The Pocomoke originates in the Great Cypress Swamp on the Maryland-Delaware border and flows 55 miles through Maryland before it empties into the Pocomoke Sound at the Chesapeake Bay. Its total length is 73 miles. About 400 feet wide below Snow Hill, the depth of the Pocomoke ranges from 7 to 45 feet, averaging about 15 feet. Its tea color, characteristic of cypress swamps, comes from tannic acid in the roots and decaying leaves of trees and plants that line its banks.
Well...and another of my favorite subjects comes up. Tanning with tannic acid. I read once that some native American ladies, just tanned the leather in small streams running through a forest.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think that maybe I could create a pipe which has been filled with the sand, gravel and activated charcoal, and then create a drip system in the garden. The water can then slowly filter through the pipe and into the hose for a drip system, that way it wont matter how long it takes to filter through it will still work well.
Yes...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello all my friends, i have one more update, I saw the pulmonologist yesterday. No good news. He said there is only 2 things it can be based on ct scans and blood tests. I'm fighting a diagnosis between lymphoma or sacroidiosis. I am having a biopsy next Thursday and i should know the results about a week after that. I'm scared to death. My husband is worried sick the kids have no idea and they just run and play with no other thoughts. How much I wish I could be young and worry free again.
I'm so sorry it isn't better news for you.
There's nothing I can say to stop you worrying, but we are all thinking of you and if it helps to share your thoughts we are here and always ready to listen.
Take care :<3:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well...and another of my favorite subjects comes up. Tanning with tannic acid. I read once that some native American ladies, just tanned the leather in small streams running through a forest.
There is an old tannery that has been reconstructed in a folk museum in Wales and they used to collect urine to tan their hides.:eek:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There is an old tannery that has been reconstructed in a folk museum in Wales and they used to collect urine to tan their hides.:eek:
Yes it's acid. But when I tanned I used tannic acid from quebracco, yellow soap, and neetsfoot oil with lots of clean well...water...and even the water makes a big difference.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Lola used to do that but he hasn't for a long time.
It is funny to watch - I suspect it would have been funnier to see you shaking yours though!:)
It must be the little youngsters that shake their booty...I've never had the pleasure of witnessing that. Teenage torts hehehe...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ooooh I likeeeee... that’s the first time I’ve ever heard that:) (unusual for me)
How's Cinder'ella'? and that's a song I love. It's an oldie but goodie. It's amazing to me too when I find I've been missing a good song all these years.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
How's Cinder'ella'? and that's a song I love. It's an oldie but goodie. It's amazing to me too when I find I've been missing a good song all these years.
She’s a rotten egg Cathie!!! She is snoring very loudly at the moment on her doggie bed by our couch.. she traveled with me all day and then played hard for a bit once we got home this evening. Now she’s a bit put out with me because I opted for a movie instead of the bed:)