COLD DARK ROOM

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
I still need to re-visit the association of Armadillos with Leprosy. I think it’s an old wife’s tale....told by moms to kids to keep them from playing with them!
If only it worked! :D It can't be too old of an old wife's tale... I don't think armadillos really showed up in Florida until the 1970s.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
When hes here he lets me get pretty close.. so with the net i can definitely get him. If u dont hear from me in 72 hrs call 911 lol
You'll get him. I'm sending save birdy vibes. You have a cute adorable little son also. The birthday pics are so good.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If only it worked! :D It can't be too old of an old wife's tale... I don't think armadillos really showed up in Florida until the 1970s.
Well...cats carry "cat scratch fever" and rabbits carry "rabbit fever". I have one of each...I haven't went belly up yet.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Parakeets don't eat cranberries. Put out something that looks like a bird cage and throw some PARAKEET seed around...and with your net, sneak up from behind. Noway you'll catch him, and it is a male...after, if, you catch it, find it's owner. Normally they will land on the top of a cage
How's AB? doing. Hope he's getting better. Sorry I butted in. I haven't seen any posts from you until now.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I’m gonna have to start telling my patients to eat iceberg lettuce when they come in complaining about constipation. I am so happy to hear that he’s doing better. I’m so happy I won’t have to keep asking you about poop either. I don’t know you and it’s kind of strange keep asking how’s the ? poop doing even though I do it all day long in the office.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Wow....anyone else experiencing the HEAT & HUMIDITY! Nasty stuff.

I still need to re-visit the association of Armadillos with Leprosy. I think it’s an old wife’s tale....told by moms to kids to keep them from playing with them!

yucky out. No kayaking... too hot n muggy.! Real feel of temp is 95F.
Mycobacterium leprae is cultured from armadillos in the southern US. It can cause leprosy transmitting from armadillo to human but you’d have to handle the armadillo...

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
See I tried to warn ya. LOL

Poor little guy/girl. Too bad you don't have Maggie aka the Bird Whisperer closer to you. I'm betting she's got secret ways to nab the little bugger. Either it's gonna become cat food or else your winter will do it in.

I'd throw bird seed into a cage/enclosure and try to nab it that way. Although the thoughts of a grown man chasing a little bird around the yard is pretty appealing. ;)
Male. Blue on beak

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I’m gonna have to start telling my patients to eat iceberg lettuce when they come in complaining about constipation. I am so happy to hear that he’s doing better. I’m so happy I won’t have to keep asking you about poop either. I don’t know you and it’s kind of strange keep asking how’s the ? poop doing even though I do it all day long in the office.
Yea. It keeps stuff moving along????

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@ZEROPILOT Any words of wisdom for @Chubbs the tegu in trying to catch a small wayward (probably somebody's pet) bird that just showed up?

He didn't invite it over for a barbeque... :D
No
I do see a parakeet every now and then. But I've only been able to grab injured ones. And they generally stick out in a crowd. They try to school with other small birds.
Injured parakeets are very strong. I'm currently 3 for 3 with being able to get them healthy again. (Fatty Arbuckle, Snowy and Lucky....A parakeet that our feral shop cat dropped on my lap at work)
I agree that since it is an escaped pet, it would recognize a bird cage with some nice seed in it.
Throw a bunch of white millet inside and rig up the door with some fishing line or something.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
And I can’t imagine cuddling with an armadillo to the point where I could get leprosy from it. Yuck. Now I can imagine cuddling a tortoise, snake or lizard to the point where I could get leprosy from it but last I checked they don’t carry leprosy.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Mycobacterium leprae is cultured from armadillos in the southern US. It can cause leprosy transmitting from armadillo to human but you’d have to handle the armadillo...
Fortunately, most humans are immune to it, and not all armadillos carry it...

However, for whatever reason, when you mix up "being in Florida" with (just about any) other criteria, the likelihood of "weird" goes up dramatically. At least, it sure seems like it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
And I can’t imagine cuddling with an armadillo to the point where I could get leprosy from it. Yuck. Now I can imagine cuddling a tortoise, snake or lizard to the point where I could get leprosy from it but last I checked they don’t carry leprosy.
BUT...it is my personal experience that when you and your 100+ lb Sulcata have a nap together in the tort shed, he can pee in his sleep...just sayin