COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Also on your phone if you have the option in your settings. In the internet connection see if you have a option to have wifi calling. When my wifi calling inevertly turns off. I need to turn back on. My calls come in much clearer without breaking up. But my service is in a bad area so it helps.
I've not been able to get the phone connected to my wi fi because the password on my router isn't correct.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I think what he means or is trying to convey is that it is cheaper & more practical when you are home browsing the internet that it is just best to be online via your internet connection (kindle or ipad and NOT VIA your new phone. Phone internet connection might eat away on your available data rates on your plan. Now, if you are out & about in your vehicle and want to GOOGLE prices of gas at COSTCO then you would connect via wifi to the internet

Bottom Line: If your new phone is able to make & receive calls & send and receive texts right now (at home or out in the garden or in your car) then you are good. At home, use your Kindle or iPad for TFO & email, searching, etc.

Hope that makes sense.
When I got my internet set up here. On the receipt the installer wrote down the password. Or maybe you can call the company to give you the info. On your phone when entering your password there should be a option for the phone to remember your password. So you don't need to enter everytime. @Yvonne G

Last edited:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Planned for my birthday next month :)

Unlikely ?

She’s been living here since September and, aged 27, we are starting to get on each other’s nerves a bit. It wasn’t her plan to stay so long... just until she was able to get a flat nearer her new office.

She’s chronically untidy and I just couldn’t handle the mess any more. If I try to raise the subject I am accused of shouting at her. If I tidy up I am invading her privacy... even in the lounge. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t keep a super tidy house. But I do put rubbish in bins or the recycling rather than drop it on the floor and I don’t leave shoes and clothes where I took them off and then walk round them for days on end.

At a low moment, after having cleaned the house because my cleaner can’t come, I dumped in a text message to her and JoesDad about wanting them to care about our home, my home, the way I do. Nothing rude. Nothing shouty. Just an appeal from a very sad feeling heart.

Daughter took it personally and ended up sobbing. JoesDad used his best diplomatic skills on the theme that “Mum was bound to snap sooner or later and she chose to text rather than shout this time”. We hugged that evening.

Yesterday was better. She’s absolutely blitzed her room and her brother’s room that she’s using as her home office in his absence. I have been allowed to help by clearing her cr@p from the lounge and dealing with laundry and rubbish shovelled out of her bedroom door onto the landing.

We are communicating again thank goodness. I had a very bad day... I am not right, but I am a lot better.
Shame Linda. It is never easy when children who have become adults move back into the house. They form their own habits and feel that they as adults don't deserve or need to be told what to do. But the reality is they are living under your roof and should respect that. I know she is there due to the lock down and was expecting to leave sooner. However be that as it may and the house will always be her home it is still your home, and you have pride in your house. I don't blame you for getting tired of it. And I am glad that you were able to sort something out with your daughter. She should however understand that if she respects you she should then respect you and follow your house rules. Anyway I hope it gets better. Good luck.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
AARGH!!!! WHY CAN'T PEOPLE CLICK ON THE FULL IMAGE BUTTON WHEN POSTING PICTURES? I spend the majority of my Forum time 'editing' posts to enlarge the pictures! ***Picture Yvonne here screaming and pulling out her hair***
I always do full image. So it is better to do than thumbnail, or are members not choosing either?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning/afternoon all.
We had about 4 inches of snow overnight but it's quite powdery and sweepable.
It's very cold but bright and sunny here at the moment too, so very pretty. It's already started to melt so shouldn't last long.
I've swept a path to my bird feeders and given them breakfast, but no plans for walking out in it today. I'm a bit nervous of possible slippery surfaces since I've had the plate in my leg and a chunk of cartilage missing in the knee of the other. I'd probably be fine but better safe than sorry.
I hope you all have a good Sunday.
TTFN
Enjoy your Sunday Lyn.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It's 10:33a and I still haven't been outside to feed and water. I'm dragging my feet this a.m. Prior to my arm breaking accident I would be outside by 7 or 7:30, all wrapped up in scarf, thermals, thick jacket, etc. I just don't have the inclination anymore. Tortoise food is all prep'd, I'm just not ready. . .
Hang in there Yvonne. I am sure the torts can wait for you.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I had Rose get the tweezers and a magnifying glass. But then had to listen to her. How many times have I told you to wear gloves. ?
Lol. We have a tree that grows here and it grows pods. When these pods burst, very tiny and thin stiff hairs go everywhere and sometimes you end up with a few getting into your skin. It is from these thorns that I learned the trick of using sand to scrap the thorn out.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
AARGH!!!! WHY CAN'T PEOPLE CLICK ON THE FULL IMAGE BUTTON WHEN POSTING PICTURES? I spend the majority of my Forum time 'editing' posts to enlarge the pictures! ***Picture Yvonne here screaming and pulling out her hair***
Oh so sorry Yvonne. I just upload mine but I will check to see if I do do it correctly.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ok,that's what I was wondering if the cactus would survive your winters. I have a spine in my palm right now that I can't get.?
That sucks. Those are so tiny you can't even see them with a magnifying glass. I still have just a few but I got most of them with a kitchen scrubby pad and lotion after several times that day. Hopefully, our experience will warn others that spineless doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have little splinters. I get hay splinters now and then but they are nothing like what I got from that darn plant that no longer exists.??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good mornooning all. We went to bed with the threat of snow, but that was removed overnight and we woke to a hard frost and a red sky. Maybe the sky is warning of snow after all?
View attachment 316230
That is so pretty. Even snow later is worth a sky like that. We did get snow finally today. All the birds were demanding that I fill the feeder. Even a cardinal looked in my living room window. I think they've noticed that I fill it when it snows. So of course I did ?☺️.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Cold out, but warm in the basement shop & tolerable in the cooler garage. Plenty of wood cut-offs from the deck project. Many too nice to burn, perfect sizes for bird houses & feeders.

Today’s Project - A Carolina Wren Nest Box

The plan

View attachment 316271
That's nice and looks like something I'll try. Since I have a little wren hanging around.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's 10:33a and I still haven't been outside to feed and water. I'm dragging my feet this a.m. Prior to my arm breaking accident I would be outside by 7 or 7:30, all wrapped up in scarf, thermals, thick jacket, etc. I just don't have the inclination anymore. Tortoise food is all prep'd, I'm just not ready. . .
I don't do my little guy until around 9. Sometimes he comes right out but sometimes he doesn't until 11 or even noonish. I can usually feel it in the air if he's going to have an early morning. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're feeling sluggish they probably do also.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Here's a cell phone question for you:

I've been trying to find my router's password so I can set up my new cell phone to go online. The guy I've been talking to (through email) used to be the IT guy when we both worked at the phone co. The last email I got from him he told me he is in bed with Covid and if they can't get his oxygen intake up he's going to have to go to hospital. So naturally, I've quit pestering him about my problem. But one of the things he said to me was that I would be better off going online through the cell phone's system instead of my wi fi. I don't understand this because my cell phone's instructions are the ones telling me to set it up through wi fi.

Oh well. The only reason I got the cell phone was because I thought I needed to get with the program. And I'm only planning to use it in emergency situations, so I don't guess I need to get online anyway. And I CAN make and receive calls on it.
I would go ahead and set up your Wi-Fi. It will automatically hook up when you're at home and ask you when you are out and about. I only use my own Wi-Fi and I refuse when I'm shopping. They lowered my phone bill because I'm usually on Wi-Fi. It was $40 now it's $30. Also it would be nice if you can keep it with you as you care for your animals. It's almost as good as one of the life alert devices.