COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I think moggies can be any sort of cat - not necessarily feral. But round here there there are several large signs by the roadside at the moment saying "Cats Eyes Removed" - I have been waiting for a suitable opportunity to mention this !!
Angie
That evens things up for the 3 Blind Mice!:D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi all! Hope you all have a good day, its scorching hot here in SA, but it will rain tomorrow hopefuly, have a good day!View attachment 335338
Good morning to you - he's a handsome chap.
You'll be in Spring at the moment so while the rest of us are getting ready to overwinter our torts yours will be enjoying some lovely basking time in the sun!
What plant is that you have there?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Thanks! Here in SA we have Summer, Autu... Winterr, Sp and Summer. Spring doesn't exist here, its just Winter, (Oh new leaves!) and Summer. The plant in the background is woodsorrel, which is odd to us here in SA because we thought it was clover, like the 4 leaved one in Ireland, but thats shamrock. So it is quite confusing to us. How's it going in the UK? Has the rain subsided yet?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, we certainly had a lot of rain in the night and more to come.
I've not heard of any local flooding but people in the North of England and Scotland have been hit hard - 2 railway bridges washed away in Scotland. :(
The COP26 is taking place in Glasgow next week - they can see for themselves the effect climate change is having.

My hedgehog feeding station was a success with a satisfied customer
hogfood29oct21_Moment.jpg
He's quite small so I'll be keeping an eye on him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks! Here in SA we have Summer, Autu... Winterr, Sp and Summer. Spring doesn't exist here, its just Winter, (Oh new leaves!) and Summer. The plant in the background is woodsorrel, which is odd to us here in SA because we thought it was clover, like the 4 leaved one in Ireland, but thats shamrock. So it is quite confusing to us. How's it going in the UK? Has the rain subsided yet?
I thought it was some sort of sorrel but this is what the Tortoise Table says about it so not good tort food

Heavy rain showers around for next few days here.

I spent Xmas and New Year near Jo'burg at a place called Boxburg in 1989.
Went to the top of the Carlton Tower (I think it was called that)
It was strange being in a pool on Xmas Day, but a wonderful experience.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Wood sorrel is full of oxalates, so I avoid it, made a nice photo. Sad that the storms battered the Northern UK, here where we are, we have the opposite, not that bad, but my great great grandfather always said that if it rains before the years end, the next year would be dry, so here we kind of hope for rain, but we are scared of drought. Here we also feel climate change, in drought, but one place is free of it, the Drakensberge, no torts live there, but the sun blazes in the summer over the emerald fields. Really beautiful. That hedgehog is cute! Is he a pet or wild?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wood sorrel is full of oxalates, so I avoid it, made a nice photo. Sad that the storms battered the Northern UK, here where we are, we have the opposite, not that bad, but my great great grandfather always said that if it rains before the years end, the next year would be dry, so here we kind of hope for rain, but we are scared of drought. Here we also feel climate change, in drought, but one place is free of it, the Drakensberge, no torts live there, but the sun blazes in the summer over the emerald fields. Really beautiful. That hedgehog is cute! Is he a pet or wild?
Hedgehogs are wild in the UK but in danger of extinction because of pesticides, loss of habitat, climate change, roads etc and and so it's always lovely to see them. They can't be kept as pets but many are taken in by Rescue Centres over winter if they are too small to survive hibernation - less than 600g - sick or injured, then released in the Spring to give them a chance. The one coming to my garden at the moment is only a juvenile I think, and hopefully I can fatten him up for Winter.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just realised I spelt Boksburg wrong!
@Lyn W A picture of our farm in the Drakensberg. In the Drakensberg it gets about 35C to 37C, and coldest -15C but thats rarely View attachment 335340
Boksburg you say? I live about 15 min from there. In summer it easily reaches 33 C here. So nice and warm, no white Chrismas like in movies though
Just realised I spelt Boksburg wrong ? - typing too fast!
I was based there staying with the family of a friend, also visited places like Pretoria, Bloemfontein, Sun City, - really enjoyed the trip. I wanted to go to the Kruger National Park too but ran out of time.
Your farm is in a really pretty place.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
They can't be kept as pets but many are taken in by Rescue Centres over winter if they are too small to survive hibernation - less than 600g - sick or injured, then released in the Spring to give them a chance. The one coming to my garden at the moment is only a juvenile I think, and hopefully I can fatten him up for Winter.
Intresting, its a cute bugger. My grandparents are building a house in Stilbaai, I think I would perhaps do the same for the angulates, but they are of least concern, so it would be intresting to see how they behave in the wild (Some pictures of the fynbos)IMG-20210921-WA0003.jpgIMG-20210921-WA0004.jpgIMG-20210921-WA0005.jpgIMG-20210921-WA0006.jpgIMG-20210921-WA0007.jpgIMG-20210921-WA0009.jpgIMG-20210921-WA0010.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
muggy?! Your car looks to be in great condition.
My car is 32 years old...most of everything has bee replaced. 6 yr old LT1 engine, spindles tie rods etc all front end stuff replaced replaced. The only thing that' s original is the body and seats...I've taken excellent care of it...it's awesome...100_0908.JPG

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
moggy = cat :)
Don't ask me why but it's quite a common term here.

Ok - I had to look this one up.

Moggy or moggie is an old British affectionate term for a domestic cat, but is also used as alternative name for a mongrel or mixed-breed cat whose ancestry and pedigree are unknown or only partially known. Because of this mixed ancestry and free-breeding, a moggy can either be very healthy, or, if from an inbred feral colony, genetically unsound and sickly.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
and just goes like hell...
Ok - I had to look this one up.

Moggy or moggie is an old British affectionate term for a domestic cat, but is also used as alternative name for a mongrel or mixed-breed cat whose ancestry and pedigree are unknown or only partially known. Because of this mixed ancestry and free-breeding, a moggy can either be very healthy, or, if from an inbred feral colony, genetically unsound and sickly.
well, I AM genetically unsound...but gosh...they created a name for me! How cool is that! I thought he just misspelled Maggie I LOVE it lol...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Pouring down rain, coupled with high winds. Reports are in that parts of the city of Annapolis are already under water. The constant high winds are pushing water from the Chesapeake Bay up into the bay area, flooding many low coastal locations. Our hatches are all battened & shuttered.

Good day for some indoor wood working….

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Pouring down rain, coupled with high winds. Reports are in that parts of the city of Annapolis are already under water. The constant high winds are pushing water from the Chesapeake Bay up into the bay area, flooding many low coastal locations. Our hatches are all battened & shuttered.

Good day for some indoor wood working….
Looks like we're all taking a soaking and battering.
Stay safe!