COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's been really hot this week up to 84F in my garden but average locally of 75F; too hot for me but Lola loves it. He makes me laugh because after some time basking it's like he's solar recharged and he seems to 'run' everywhere.
Busy week again so far, funeral and a couple of meetings for my nephew and helping someone look for their escaped parrot (still in area but won't come down out of the trees :rolleyes:)
Hopefully it will be a quieter end to the week, and cooler from tomorrow so will be able to do some things in my garden - if the rain misses us.
Hope you're all having a good week so far.
Today at my house it was an inferno at 94°f in the shade but in the sun it was 118°f or higher. I put the umbrella up on Sapphire's enclosure and it still stayed around 100f. He hid out in his hut so I brought him in. It's weird how temperature works. My front yard and back yard almost always has different temperatures. Even in my house there's differences and it can be as little as a foot apart. I'll say a little prayer for the wayward parrot. He probably thinks he's having fun but I can't believe he's finding enough of the foods he needs to keep it up for long.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, was 106° in my backyard in the shade yesterday. Burned my beans, rhubarb, & squash plants. . . bum...today is much cooler, 74° with a slight breeze. . . ah'hhhh
What's weird is the official temps in an area don't say what's going on where you are in that area. Or in a specific part of your yard. I've seen my backyard even hotter than that in the summer and I live in Ohio. Please send me your cold spell 😂 but it'll still be 20° hotter in my backyard and good tort weather 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, was 106° in my backyard in the shade yesterday. Burned my beans, rhubarb, & squash plants. . . bum...today is much cooler, 74° with a slight breeze. . . ah'hhhh
What's weird is the official temps in an area don't say what's going on where you are in that area. Or in a specific part of your yard. I've seen my backyard even hotter than that in the summer and I live in Ohio. Please send me your cold spell 😂 but it'll still be 20° hotter in my backyard and good tort weather 🤗

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Today at my house it was an inferno at 94°f in the shade but in the sun it was 118°f or higher. I put the umbrella up on Sapphire's enclosure and it still stayed around 100f. He hid out in his hut so I brought him in. It's weird how temperature works. My front yard and back yard almost always has different temperatures. Even in my house there's differences and it can be as little as a foot apart. I'll say a little prayer for the wayward parrot. He probably thinks he's having fun but I can't believe he's finding enough of the foods he needs to keep it up for long.
My garden is quite sheltered and a real sun trap so the temp is always higher out there. The front of my house is in shade for most of the day so usually much cooler there.
The parrot is safely home, he was caught when he popped into someone's garden for a drink at their bird bath. They need water more than food so having water available is a good way to entice them down out of trees. Thankfully it's been very warm and he didn't fly out of the area while so the owner was able to ask people to look out for him. I was worried he may be attacked by other birds, but he's none the worse for his adventure. Lets hope he decides 'east, west, homes best'!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We have a thunderstorms warning in place today but nothing specific.
Overcast here now but still very warm.

Shally

BIRMINGHAM
Hello, nobody in particular.
Welcome to Tidgy's Dad's Cold Dark Room.
Not expecting a lot of visitors in this pointless place, but this is where I live now.
It's good in here.
If anyone does visit, please feel free to say what you want( within forum guidelines, of course) and I will be happy to be silly, slightly insult you or ignore you completely which you are most welcome to do to me.
I will of course venture out occasionally, when I think I can be useful or annoying, but otherwise I live here now.
No advertising, let's see who spots me.
This is where i belong.
Tidgy is most unconcerned.
Hi Tidgy ..... ignoring your dad though so sssshhhh ;-)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A ton of rain overnight here as very large thunderstorms moved through the area. Garden, lawns & birds are happy. It’s the first big rain since i installed my rain barrel. It quickly filled up & I’m set for watering.
We have some rain on the way which is badly needed but unfortunate that it's the weekend of Glastonbury festival. Hopefully it won't be too heavy and get too muddy for everyone there.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, yesterday was substantially humid here, a very odd day, down south in Los Angeles area, there were thunderstorms and some unfortunate woman walking her two dogs were hit by Lightning & died. Strange weather.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My garden is quite sheltered and a real sun trap so the temp is always higher out there. The front of my house is in shade for most of the day so usually much cooler there.
The parrot is safely home, he was caught when he popped into someone's garden for a drink at their bird bath. They need water more than food so having water available is a good way to entice them down out of trees. Thankfully it's been very warm and he didn't fly out of the area while so the owner was able to ask people to look out for him. I was worried he may be attacked by other birds, but he's none the worse for his adventure. Lets hope he decides 'east, west, homes best'!
That's so wonderful 😊 our saying is every bird likes his own nest best so let's hope he can resist it next time 😉. My yard is about the same as yours. The back yard is full sun until around 3pm and the front yard is shaded with a large crabapple tree so there's usually at least a 20+° difference between them.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
In my living room it's 79°f at least but I'm so comfortable. Higher temps don't bother me too much either even though everyone else is passing out 😊 Sapphire and I get along pretty good because I can't stand to be cold either. If I'm cold I know he is ☺️ maybe I don't let him get cool enough 😂😉

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all,
Quite wet and windy here at the moment but some dry spells in between.
Lola wandered out but when he saw the rain he turned back.
Nothing special planned today, just a pile of ironing to get through.
Hope you have a good Saturday and I'll see you later!
TTFN

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Good morning/afternoon all,
Quite wet and windy here at the moment but some dry spells in between.
Lola wandered out but when he saw the rain he turned back.
Nothing special planned today, just a pile of ironing to get through.
Hope you have a good Saturday and I'll see you later!
TTFN
Went boating. First time out this yr. 101 when we got off the lake after rescuing a jet ski & 2 girls out of gas. Pass it forward!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
It's a bit drier here today after a Saturday full of thunderstorms and heavy downpours, but still cooler - suits me fine!!
I hope you all have a peaceful Sunday, I'm going to my sister for lunch - lovely!!!!
TTFN