COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Ive been even more busy cranking out & selling Bluebird Nestboxes. Who knew they would be so popular? 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 352579
I just bought my sister a nest box with a colour camera in it, the only trouble is it's wired rather wi fi so may not be high tec enough for her. I suppose I'll just have to keep it for myself ;)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Maybe Hispanic online fresh veggies would sell it for shipping.
There are reptile websites that do it - when they have it in stock. I don't know of any Hispanic veg suppliers but there maybe be some in the bigger cities that could be worth a try.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Today it really poured snow sideways. The first snow I've really gotten to watch this year and it was beautiful. But all we got was a sprinkling. It made everything look like we got iceing.
We only had a dusting too but I think Linda's (JoesMum) area of Kent in south east UK had a lot of snow. Pity she's not posted in a while - I'm sure she would have attached pics.
I wonder how she and her family are doing? Maybe she'll be in touch over Xmas.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When I was about 8 yrs old. I watched 2 Bluejays attack a nest of baby birds. The parents were flying around and screeching but were helpless. I am throwing rocks at the Bluejays and yelling at them. My dad comes out to see what was going on. After I explained it to him, he said in a grouchy voice. That is the cycle of life, now quit yelling I am trying to take a nap. I never have liked Bluejays ever since. 😕
Nature can be very cruel - magpies and crows pick out the babies from the nests too. I try to think of it as all creatures need to eat but it's such a shame they pick on the helpless. :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's VERY cold here today. Normally I make a fire in the woodstove and don't add wood to it, and that heats the house for the rest of the day, but I've already had to add more logs to the fire to keep it going. VERY cold in here:

40°F
Precipitation: 1%
Humidity: 92%
Wind: 5 mph

The sky is heavily overcast with absolutely NO sun shining through. I've had to leave all the tortoise shed doors closed to keep them inside. Br-r-r-r!
Is that normal for CA? One of my nephews and his wife are moving to an airforce base there for three years in the spring. He's in the RAF and will be working on the new US/UK jet collaboration. I'll warn him to pack some woollies - they were thinking they wouldn't need them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We only had a dusting too but I think Linda's (JoesMum) area of Kent in south east UK had a lot of snow. Pity she's not posted in a while - I'm sure she would have attached pics.
I wonder how she and her family are doing? Maybe she'll be in touch over Xmas.
I hope so too. I love her pictures of birds and such stuff.🙏🎄

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just bought my sister a nest box with a colour camera in it, the only trouble is it's wired rather wi fi so may not be high tec enough for her. I suppose I'll just have to keep it for myself ;)
Well... the way I see it 😊is give her the camera and keep the nest box... however if you're getting new wiring...plan the camera in while ur at it and buy her another present 😉😜

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all. Our temps are back up into the mid 40Fs 50Fs the last couple of days so everything's defrosted but we've had a heck of a lot of rain.

I had a lovely day yesterday with my sister and her family and an excellent evening at the Jools Holland concert. He is a brilliant pianist and has a fantastic R&B band full of such talented musicians with great guest singers - really made us smile. It was an early Xmas pressie from my sister and a very good choice because I love all sorts of live music.

The only thing that complicated it was the unreliable trains - some were being cancelled last minute because of the strikes and overtime bans which meant I had to drive to make sure I could get home. I don't know Cardiff that well to drive around and the roads had such a lot of water on them it wasn't pleasant. I also couldn't use my own car because of its problem so was in another sister's car. It was OK but not as relaxing as driving my old familiar fiesta. All worth it in then end though.

I'm meeting some friends tomorrow evening for a meal which I'm looking forward to - that will be my second decent meal in a few days!!

I hope you're all having a good day and managing to keep warm and dry in your corners!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well... the way I see it 😊is give her the camera and keep the nest box... however if you're getting new wiring...plan the camera in while ur at it and buy her another present 😉😜
Good thinking!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There are reptile websites that do it - when they have it in stock. I don't know of any Hispanic veg suppliers but there maybe be some in the bigger cities that could be worth a try.
The reason I thought of maybe a Hispanic grocery online store is because they love to eat opuntia too. And they don't care if it is spineless or not. I want to try some 😋 from watching the videos on how to clean and cook it. Sadly Sapphire doesn't like it.🐢

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The reason I thought of maybe a Hispanic grocery online store is because they love to eat opuntia too. And they don't care if it is spineless or not. I want to try some 😋 from watching the videos on how to clean and cook it. Sadly Sapphire doesn't like it.🐢
Lola loves it and I usually hand feed him some when he's in his soak - he almost jumps right out to get at it! I tried a tiny peace but it didn't appeal to me!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Lola loves it and I usually hand feed him some when he's in his soak - he almost jumps right out to get at it! I tried a tiny peace but it didn't appeal to me!
The Hispanic people cook it diced somewhat, then rinse it to remove some of the tannins and have recipes for the finish online. Sapphire likes a little chunk of zucchini or okra but won't even try opuntia. What I like about the zucchini Achilles heel is I can administer anything I want to him on it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The Hispanic people cook it diced somewhat, then rinse it to remove some of the tannins and have recipes for the finish online. Sapphire likes a little chunk of zucchini or okra but won't even try opuntia. What I like about the zucchini Achilles heel is I can administer anything I want to him on it.
Maybe cooked it would taste better.
Someone in a shop saw me buying Pak choi recently and asked me how I cook it. They were quite amused when I told them I had no idea because it was for my tortoise.

When I first fed opuntia to Lola I gave him a chunk but he made a choking sound which terrified me, and then I read about a fully grown sullie dying after choking on a chunk of carrot so I just slice off thin slithers of it now. Maybe I'm being too fussy but I'd rather be careful.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe cooked it would taste better.
Someone in a shop saw me buying Pak choi recently and asked me how I cook it. They were quite amused when I told them I had no idea because it was for my tortoise.

When I first fed opuntia to Lola I gave him a chunk but he made a choking sound which terrified me, and then I read about a fully grown sullie dying after choking on a chunk of carrot so I just slice off thin slithers of it now. Maybe I'm being too fussy but I'd rather be careful.
That's interesting 🤔 Pak choi.... maybe Sapphire would like it 😊

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that normal for CA? One of my nephews and his wife are moving to an airforce base there for three years in the spring. He's in the RAF and will be working on the new US/UK jet collaboration. I'll warn him to pack some woollies - they were thinking they wouldn't need them.
California is so big that weather runs the gamut from very cold to so hot you can't stand it. Where is the base they're moving to?