COLD DARK ROOM

Thecharmedone

Location (City and/or State)
Allentown pa
DEATH BY TORTOISE No. 3.
On February 20, 2007, a female infant aged 3 weeks with a 1-day history of poor feeding and lethargy was evaluated in an emergency department at a Florida hospital. The patient was transferred immediately to a tertiary-care pediatric hospital; on arrival, she was febrile and in septic shock. Antibiotics were administered. She died on March 1. Cultures of cerebrospinal fluid and blood samples yielded Salmonella serotype Pomona.

The parents of the patient were interviewed by the Florida Department of Health. A family friend had purchased a small turtle with a carapace of 1.25 inches from a flea market in north central Florida in mid-November 2006. The turtle was purchased as a pet and given to the patient's family in late January 2007. After the death of the infant, laboratory testing of the turtle and its environment was performed by the Florida Bureau of Laboratories. A fecal sample from the turtle yielded S. Pomona. The S. Pomona isolates from the patient and the turtle were indistinguishable by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis

This is really sad and unfortunate but a good reminder that tortoises can carry Salmonella. care should be taken, hands should be washed after handling and kissing them is not recommended.
Hello I know you don’t know me and I was just reading some threads Tryin to figure out how this all works and etiquette and I wrote a novel and now feel dumb to post it. However, I know this was long ago but may I ask what type of turtle was it? I had a painted turtle for 23 years and I know if handling procedures. But now I have a Russian tort and i always kiss her shell. And so many questionable things too I’m sure. She’s been tested for parasites a few times and every time comes up negative for all. She’s very clean and indoor. But I’m probably stupid. I’m scared to even say what else I do. If probably be crucified. I wrote about it in my Novel that I’m debating and probably will never post. Can I also ask why the size of carapace had to do with it??? Oh just to get an idea the size of the turtle? I’m slow and shot out at times sorry. Just curious is all. I’m having such issues with researching info and it’s all different everywhere I look. It’s upsetting. Thank you for listening and your time. Have a blessed day!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That should be so interesting having two little lovely dogs and Lola 😉 all at once.🙃😁 have your camera ready for us.😊 please 🙏.I remember how Tilly came but can't remember Alfie for some reason.
Alfie is my sister's dog and lives in Leics. He is a Pomeranian and very beautiful - loves tummy tickles and when he comes to sit by you he just flops onto his back to make sure he gets them. Lola and the dogs will not meet as I wouldn't trust them near him - and I wouldn't trust Lola either - he's too curious! Tilly and Alfie are both fine around other dogs, but they've never lived together so I am hoping they will get on OK. 🤞

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You’ll like Las Vegas. Doesn’t get to cold here, although there was some rain and a bit chilly today. Overall, it’s a nice place to live. Happy New Year and happy Wednesday.
I'm not going. My sister and her hubby went there about 18 months to meet their new granddaughter and this time it will be to celebrate her second birthday next weekend. They are only going for a week. I'll warn them to take some warm clothing - just in case.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Alfie is my sister's dog and lives in Leics. He is a Pomeranian and very beautiful - loves tummy tickles and when he comes to sit by you he just flops onto his back to make sure he gets them. Lola and the dogs will not meet as I wouldn't trust them near him - and I wouldn't trust Lola either - he's too curious! Tilly and Alfie are both fine around other dogs, but they've never lived together so I am hoping they will get on OK. 🤞
They'll probably be best play friends.🤗on a play date.💖be careful they won't want to go home 😉

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Your sister is so blessed. if I ever get to have a dog my choice would be a mini Pomeranian. They're hilarious.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And well... once again I've had to tell a neighbor to have their dog poop 💩💩💩 in their own yard not ours today. You'd think that's a given if you want a pet.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
And well... once again I've had to tell a neighbor to have their dog poop 💩💩💩 in their own yard not ours today. You'd think that's a given if you want a pet.
I'm fed up of cats using my garden as their toilet. There are 2 new ones that are forever in my garden, but don't live near me and they make a terrible mess. if I knew where they lived I would be visiting their owners with a big bag of poop!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all, I did pop in earlier but was waylaid when a sister rang. The weather here has been much drier since last Thursday but so much colder too - can't complain though, it is winter! We had our first snow shower this evening but not much and it didn't stick - thankfully!
Lola hasn't ventured far out of his hide today he came out to eat but soon went back and only ate more because I put his food in his hide for him so he'll start expecting room service on a regular basis now.

I spent all day wating for a parcel to arrive and visited the tracking page which gave me a map of where the driver was throughout the day but when s/he was in my area and down to the last deliveries I had a message saying they couldn't deliver mine! I was furious at having wasted a day by staying home and now have to waste another tomorrow too! Bring back the shops!!!

The two dogs arrive tomorrow so they'll be keeping me busy but I'm looking forward to wrapping up warmly and taking them for some nice walks.

I hope you're all having a good Monday but time for me to hit the hay now so Nos Da for now.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello I know you don’t know me and I was just reading some threads Tryin to figure out how this all works and etiquette and I wrote a novel and now feel dumb to post it. However, I know this was long ago but may I ask what type of turtle was it? I had a painted turtle for 23 years and I know if handling procedures. But now I have a Russian tort and i always kiss her shell. And so many questionable things too I’m sure. She’s been tested for parasites a few times and every time comes up negative for all. She’s very clean and indoor. But I’m probably stupid. I’m scared to even say what else I do. If probably be crucified. I wrote about it in my Novel that I’m debating and probably will never post. Can I also ask why the size of carapace had to do with it??? Oh just to get an idea the size of the turtle? I’m slow and shot out at times sorry. Just curious is all. I’m having such issues with researching info and it’s all different everywhere I look. It’s upsetting. Thank you for listening and your time. Have a blessed day!!
Hi and welcome, Adam (Tidgy's Dad) doesn't post very often these days and I've no idea where he found the Death by Tortoise information but if you google the date and something like 'death of a baby caused by tortoise in Florida' you may find the article. I don't think the size of the carapace was important other than it shows that even baby torts can be affected, but the fact that torts carry salmonella (and herpes) is very important. So basic hygiene should always be followed e.g. hand washing, after handling torts and precautions taken to minimise the risk of picking up either, so I guess that includes not kissing them. If you use the search facility you may find many pasts threads and posts about salmonella, herpes in torts which will tell you more.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Vegas....the only place in the world I have been that has fine-tuned their gambling to the point where you can only make a $20 last 18 minutes......and that's playing the penny machines! LOL Kerry and I went out....for the entertainment.....we saw the Musical there, the meno....one, funny as heck.

Anyway, I was talking with D1 on the phone and watched as two very bushy red foxes came down the noll over the fallen tree. I thought they were Coyote's at first.....very big when they are bushy for winter! I also got a "hit" o the bird feeder. When I looked at the vid, no birds, deer walking across the yard!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome, Adam (Tidgy's Dad) doesn't post very often these days and I've no idea where he found the Death by Tortoise information but if you google the date and something like 'death of a baby caused by tortoise in Florida' you may find the article. I don't think the size of the carapace was important other than it shows that even baby torts can be affected, but the fact that torts carry salmonella (and herpes) is very important. So basic hygiene should always be followed e.g. hand washing, after handling torts and precautions taken to minimise the risk of picking up either, so I guess that includes not kissing them. If you use the search facility you may find many pasts threads and posts about salmonella, herpes in torts which will tell you more.
I think the size was mentioned because way back when the 4" rule was enacted "they" figured bigger than 4" and a kid would not be able to fit the turtle in his mouth.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
So an old municipal building is better ng torn down and I managed to score some rubbish! I thought it was just an unhoned piece from f marble that the upper portion of the building had been clad with. I Amy be wrong a jagged corner scored glass so I think I may have quartzite. Makes an awesome trivet to put a hot pan on!! It also has some very faint shiny specks

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpeg
    IMG_0145.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1