COLD DARK ROOM

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Next up St Helen’s Place and Leather Sellers’ Hall. The Worshipful Company of Leather Sellers is one of the city’s oldest Livery Companies founded in the 15th century. While the leather trade isn’t as important as it was, the company still does much charitable work and runs several schools which were originally founded for the poor.

They bought the convent land from Henry VIII for £380 five years after he closed the convent and established their second hall their. They are now in their 7th hall, the 6th on this site, renting out the rest of the buildings.

The modern building behind is called The Gherkin
View attachment 252212

The Court Room with some ancient leather goods on the table
View attachment 252213

The modern Reception Room faces St Helen’s church (previous post). This side of the square was also damaged by the 1992 bombing. They have made the most of the view.
View attachment 252214

The apprenticeship indenture paper for JRR Tolkein’s Great Grandfather. It’s called an indenture because of the dents at the top of the document. Two copies were made on the same sheet of paper. One copy was kept by the Livery Company and the other by the apprentice. The cut was wiggly and you could prove it was the original because it would match its opposite half!
View attachment 252215
I don`t like it when old architecture is mixed with new and very futuristic looking architecture.:(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don`t like it when old architecture is mixed with new and very futuristic looking architecture.:(
When there is so much damage there are difficult decisions to be made. Sometimes something modern looks better than something new pretending to be something old.

Bee62

Germany
And finally, we jumped on a tube and headed to the poshest bit of London by St James’ Palace and The Ritz Hotel to a private members’ club called the Royal Over-Seas League (and yes it is hyphenated)

This club is very proud that it has had female membership since its foundation in the very early 20th century unlike several of its neighbours.

It’s actually 3 buildings of different periods knocked together
View attachment 252223
View attachment 252224

This Georgian staircase has a bowed banister to allow ladies wearing crinoline skirts to use it more easily. Right at the top, the bars are straight as servants didn’t wear crinolines
View attachment 252225

View attachment 252226
View attachment 252227
The stucco ceilings are amazing.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I know what you mean Bee - as impressive as the new buildings are, they look out of character with the historical buildings.
That seems to be the way of the world these days. I suppose young designers are going to design modern buildings - I wonder if they will stand the test of time as the older buildings have!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The party was not far from home fortunately. I am sure some will be up late into the night, but we have crept away and are heading for bed now.

Tomorrow a trip to the out in laws.
Bad wet and windy weather forecast for S E England and probably S Wales tomorrow, so drive safely!!
But Nos Da for now!

Bee62

Germany
Good Afternoon & Evening All

Just back from our 5 hour paddle where we knocked off about 12 miles or so. Started off overcast and calm, then some sun followed by a brief gale which created some nice wakes and waves as we crossed Mattawoman Creek where it meets the Potomac. Many (5 or 6) Bald Eagle sightings along with the rest of the usual suspects (geese, ducks, cormorants, herons).

The Start of Our Paddle Heading West

View attachment 252233

A Hunter’s Goose Blind

View attachment 252234

Time for a Break on a Small Peninsula

View attachment 252235

My Paddling Companion

View attachment 252236

Paddling Back Through the Marshy Area (A Short Cut)

View attachment 252239
I only want to say: A man and his kayak. :D
Peaceful and beautiful pics as ever Mark.;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I know what you mean Bee - as impressive as the new buildings are, they look out of character with the historical buildings.
That seems to be the way of the world these days. I suppose young designers are going to design modern buildings - I wonder if they will stand the test of time as the older buildings have!

We were told today that most office buildings are designed with an intended lifespan of 25 years. The Bloomberg building has been designed for a lifespan of 50 years

Bee62

Germany
The party was not far from home fortunately. I am sure some will be up late into the night, but we have crept away and are heading for bed now.

Tomorrow a trip to the out in laws.
Sleep well Linda. You must be exhausted.
Which outlaws will you visit ?:D
Only teasing you. I know whom you are going to visit.;)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Only to have mentioned it: The bad weather ( from England:mad: ) arrived in Germany yesterday. Thank you very much.:p:D:D
Your welcome!
Another bad day for us tomorrow with yellow warnings of floods and high winds issued for some areas, but I don't think the winds are going to be as bad as they were on Friday.
Then next week it looks like we have sunshine most days - but colder. In fact this evening was so chilly I could see my breath in the air!