COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks for ur offer.. but i couldnt have a pet that i used to melt with salt as a kid lol

Darn things gobbled up a nice patch of mixed flowers & sunflowers. Luckily i have a few areas planted. I hate using slug bait, but might be forced to implement drastic measures.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I moved to Oregon 15 years ago from Calif...it rains 7 months outa the year. Any piece of wood, or brick or plastic or almost anything else laying around has big, slimy, horrid, homeless snails called slugs under it. I was totally freaked out by them...but I had a buncha box turtles and water turtles...so I'd put on kitchen gloves and grab a tweezers and a jar and I'd go collect said uglies. 15 years later...almost no slugs to be found...and when I see one now,,,I capture it barehanded and walk it over to my favorite Eastern Box turtle and I so much enjoy seeing her slug smile...how times have changed...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Darn things gobbled up a nice patch of mixed flowers & sunflowers. Luckily i have a few areas planted. I hate using slug bait, but might be forced to implement drastic measures.
Beer saucers by the plants, salt boundaries, diatomaceous earth also....box turtles in that area...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Beer saucers? I’m already doing the diatomaceous earth and salt boundaries are next... beer sounds easy though;-)

How are you feeling?
HA! Thanks for remembering. I'm on the road to recovery but I sure was a lot sicker than any of us realized. I'm doing mimimal housework, have to feed the birds daily...sold 6 babies in the middle of being sick...that made it easier for me...the big torts come and go so they were fine. I've lost 12 lbs...size 4 skinny jeans...woo hoo!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don’t think I’d want to do the raising either but I really enjoy watching them naturally..
Well that threw me for a loop! Over here, we have always used the term kits... even in the rescues.. so I googled.;-) turns out we are both right.. and look at all the other terms that apply;-)

10 Fascinating Facts About Foxes (With Photos) ... A female fox is called a “vixen”, a male fox is called a “dog fox” or a “tod” and baby foxes are called “pups”, “kits” or “cubs”. A group of foxes is called a “skulk” or a “leash”.Apr 26, 2012

It must be an international thing. They’re always cubs in the UK.

Pups would be more logical for a member of the dog family.

Kit, here at least, gets used for most young mustelids (ferret, mink and the like), but not for badgers which have Cubs ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here we call baby fox “kits”

10 Fascinating Facts About Foxes: . A female fox is called a “vixen”, a male fox is called a “dog fox” or a “tod” and baby foxes are called “pups”, “kits” or “cubs”. A group of foxes is called a “skulk” or a “leash”.

?????
The Brits are undoubtedly responsible for introducing foxes to your side of the pond. I wonder how the name changed? It might have changed here and you kept the original; it wouldn’t be the first time I have found that!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
The Brits are undoubtedly responsible for introducing foxes to your side of the pond. I wonder how the name changed? It might have changed here and you kept the original; it wouldn’t be the first time I have found that!

Of course we have bear cubs too. Maryland has a decent Black Bear population, enough to warrant a week of hunting in November.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
HA! Thanks for remembering. I'm on the road to recovery but I sure was a lot sicker than any of us realized. I'm doing mimimal housework, have to feed the birds daily...sold 6 babies in the middle of being sick...that made it easier for me...the big torts come and go so they were fine. I've lost 12 lbs...size 4 skinny jeans...woo hoo!!!
Glad to hear you are recovering. It can be frustratingly slow after illness like this

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Get well soon Maggie.. miss ur sarcasm ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sheesh! I do my grocery shopping online and it's delivered to my door. Today instead of 7 bags of various greens I got 7 bags of green beans - to the tune of $25. The bags of greens would have cost about $16. I don't feed green beans. Why on earth would someone think green beans is an acceptable substitute for leafy greens?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sheesh! I do my grocery shopping online and it's delivered to my door. Today instead of 7 bags of various greens I got 7 bags of green beans - to the tune of $25. The bags of greens would have cost about $16. I don't feed green beans. Why on earth would someone think green beans is an acceptable substitute for leafy greens?
Nice to not see you back in the CDR Yvonne. I missed you.

We get odd substitutions here too. It’s got better in recent years, but we still get some downright peculiar things.

I can only assume the packer is young and probably male and has never had to shop themselves.

Years ago we had 4 four pint bottles of milk delivered when I had ordered 4 pints of milk. More recently I order 2 boxes of 6 large eggs and got 2 boxes of 15 mixed size eggs!

And then there’s the time I ordered 1 piece of root ginger and got a massive bag full weighing about a pound and a half! JoesDad took the ordered in and didn’t realise. I donated the excess to a chef friend for their restaurant :D

We have had some substitutes like yours where the item is completely unrelated to what I ordered. I just can’t remember them

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Gary's doing great! Lol he had some kale for breakfast
View attachment 295895
Oh how cute! I wasn't able to get on the link Marco2Bear sent but I did screenshot the link. Snails are kind of interesting to me. Gary's shell looks like the Apple snails of Florida I used to find.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

7 bags of greens = 7 bags of green beans. (oops, they read too much into your order!). Thats a lot of beans