COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The advantage with a “mentor program” is that a new person with Sulcata questions could be paired up with a Sulcata owner who maybe also lives in the same area, state, region. Of course “Master Gurus” (Like Yvonne, Tom, Will, MarkW, Zovick, etc) would always be able to provide their sage wisdom. But if a NEWB was receptive to a willing mentor it might help. Would eliminate the barrage of similar questions/answers, and the mentor can always reach out. Etc. Of course, as with anything the devil is in the details. We couldn't get the Photo Contest to run last year, so this might even be more challenging to administer. Anyhow, just some random thoughts.
What irritates me about answers to newbie questions is when no one answers for a while then a different newbie jumps in with the wrong answer.

I wish people would refer those repeat questions to our FAQ section.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Does anybody know how to get this darn toothpaste on to the toothbrush??? No instructions smh
Yes, but how much toothpaste do you put on the toothbrush? If you do it like a toothpaste commercial, you waste a lot of toothpaste... ;)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The advantage with a “mentor program” is that a new person with Sulcata questions could be paired up with a Sulcata owner who maybe also lives in the same area, state, region. Of course “Master Gurus” (Like Yvonne, Tom, Will, MarkW, Zovick, etc) would always be able to provide their sage wisdom. But if a NEWB was receptive to a willing mentor it might help. Would eliminate the barrage of similar questions/answers, and the mentor can always reach out. Etc. Of course, as with anything the devil is in the details. We couldn't get the Photo Contest to run last year, so this might even be more challenging to administer. Anyhow, just some random thoughts.
Unfortunately, we don't have a budget to pay the mentors... And from a volunteer (or voluntary) standpoint, it's a lot of work.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Unfortunately, we don't have a budget to pay the mentors... And from a volunteer (or voluntary) standpoint, it's a lot of work.

Nagh, no budget needed. Just Senior TFO folks helping Brandy New TFO newbies. But, i know, it still takes time. Id be more than willing to ease @Chubbs the tegu out of his dark hidden corners.! ?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Lots of people ask lots of questions that are just as easily researched. I think ppl like having others do their research! Or like being told What to do!
I agree... but, that many questions just seemed a little off.. I’m a firm believer in asking when you don’t know something but you have to be willing to learn.. and to listen to the correct answer..

We just got a questionnaire from the school system about wether we want to send our children to school or do at home learning... I don’t even have to think about it.....I’M NO TEACHER... my son will not benefit from at home learning at all.....and he’s exceptionally smart.. I can teach him about one thing but I can’t explain the countless things that are needed for furthering an education.. the older children who can read the tools to teach would be fine...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
More frustrated than angry, I think... Although maybe a little bit angry toward the parents for not researching what they're getting into. Even the smartest kid needs help and support for something like a tortoise. We've seen plenty of threads with adults that need varying degrees of help with getting it right.

The learning curve for a 13-year-old... with a hatchling tortoise... is HUGE. Usually we get to deal with the parents directly. However, we do have a number of new, young members on the forum, and well... We need to raise them right. ;)
I can definitely agree with this. Nothing like getting a sulcata as your first reptile (and pet, for that matter) at the age of 12, only to realize that your 1 and a half year of research was done in all of the wrong places :p

Good thing I found the forum! Definitely saved Curtis, and gave me the information to take in my new boy, Button :)36905A84-C581-44AD-8695-850059C5F7F9.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Actually, I recently had that exact experience. I'm not an idiot, I CAN research a subject my own self. However, I posted my question and I was answered by one of those, 'smarter than I members' who I happen to like a lot. And because my dumba** question really was dumb, the comments to me were pretty sarcastic. I asked a dumb question because the answer was so obvious that I didn't see it, really. Frankly, I think the reasoning behind not doing your own research is because of...taaaa daaa...laziness

I don’t think that’s the same at all... one question is just that ... simply a question. Everyone does that and there really aren’t dumb questions.. if there were, I’d be the queen of them.... I guess what I was really thinking was that this kid made a conscious decision to get a pet not once, but twice... and he/she seems absolutely clueless.. yet they have clearly made some decisions about the care they will provide.... just seemed kind of suspicious...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

I like that train of thought!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I can definitely agree with this. Nothing like getting a sulcata as your first reptile (and pet, for that matter) at the age of 12, only to realize that your 1 and a half year of research was done in all of the wrong places :p

Good thing I found the forum! Definitely saved Curtis, and gave me the information to take in my new boy, Button :)View attachment 299579

Your an exception to most every teenage rule! Your torts are lucky to have you.