COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Seems like a messy situation all the way around there. There are family farms in the UK that are suffering too, losing bloodlines and quite possibly the future of the farms themselves. Bovine tuberculosis outbreaks aren't fun to deal with in any species. :(
I agree BTB is bad news for farmers but there isn't any real evidence that culling badgers is reducing the infection in cattle and some of the blame has to lie with some of the farmers bad practices as well. It's a very controversial subject.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Thanks Mark. It makes me mad! I'll be signing it and I'm sure my sister in nearby Leics will be going there to try to upset their plans by removing the peanuts they use to trap them, and sitting near the setts.
Don't they have an oral vaccine for bovine TH that can be used on the badgers? I thought they did trials on it around 2011-2012.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Don't they have an oral vaccine for bovine TH that can be used on the badgers? I thought they did trials on it around 2011-2012.
Many areas are vaccinating but it's not nationwide yet. The government is supposed to be phasing out badger culling but sadly it wont happen before hundreds more are shot. I don't know why it has to be phased rather than just stopped.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I agree BTB is bad news for farmers but there isn't any real evidence that culling badgers is reducing the infection in cattle and some of the blame has to lie with some of the farmers bad practices as well. It's a very complicated and emotive subject.
I get that. I guess part of me was hoping that after everything the UK had been through, after BSE and FMD, that maybe the powers that be would have learned more than they did. :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's quite chilly here today compared to a few days ago, but it's a very welcome drop in temps. Lola has ventured outside but didn't stay too long today and headed straight back into his heated hide. I have to go and find a heap of weeds for him now - he really is eating me out of house and home! See you later,

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Seems like a messy situation all the way around there. There are family farms in the UK that are suffering too, losing bloodlines and quite possibly the future of the farms themselves. Bovine tuberculosis outbreaks aren't fun to deal with in any species. :(
It’s a very messy situation. Culling isn’t the answer. Vaccination of cattle is.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon CDRers hope you are all enjoying a good weekend so far.
I am because I just realized today that Dilly is 11 years old. A vet tech informed me. I guess time flies when you're having fun. I knew he was a senior cat but never did the math. Where did the time go? I should have known because I've had Sapphire 13 years. So it's been an enlightening day.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I am because I just realized today that Dilly is 11 years old. A vet tech informed me. I guess time flies when you're having fun. I knew he was a senior cat but never did the math. Where did the time go? I should have known because I've had Sapphire 13 years. So it's been an enlightening day.
And I do have to say I've been reading a bit about Elsmere and Greenland the past few days. I don't even want to say all that I was reading.?

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
As a lot of you know I lost my beloved dog just a little short of three weeks ago. Funny how things turn out, but I took in a very troubled dog who was so frightened that at the animal welfare league no one could touch her and she was hiding in a corner shaking. Their behavioral trainer had taken her home and was trying to work with her but she was struggling. There are three pictures here. The first is when they put her in the back of my pick up truck and I had never even touched her because she wouldn’t allow it. That was yesterday. The second was last night when I was going to bed. The last is right now as she’s lying next to me. In the first her name was Summer. My nephew renamed her Mookie because he thought she look like a cow and a Oreo cookie. My has she changed!

75DB62B8-21AE-4761-9AA2-E2CB52D74D51.jpeg7454BACE-A1FD-43D8-9F9B-CC33B1FB8648.jpegFFA6E479-51C6-4AF8-9B83-ECA3C8AFF8A5.jpeg

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
As a lot of you know I lost my beloved dog just a little short of three weeks ago. Funny how things turn out, but I took in a very troubled dog who was so frightened that at the animal welfare league no one could touch her and she was hiding in a corner shaking. Their behavioral trainer had taken her home and was trying to work with her but she was struggling. There are three pictures here. The first is when they put her in the back of my pick up truck and I had never even touched her because she wouldn’t allow it. That was yesterday. The second was last night when I was going to bed. The last is right now as she’s lying next to me. In the first her name was Summer. My nephew renamed her Mookie because he thought she look like a cow and a Oreo cookie. My has she changed!
You're making me tear up a little bit here, Doc. :)
I'm SO HAPPY for you and Mookie... and that you found EACH OTHER! ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh my! I love Mookie! Animals are so cool. I ended up with a 6 yr old Maine Coon cat who was so mean her people wanted her euthanized. I got her and for the next 3 months he was locked in a tort room because he attacked anybody. Now he is pretty mellow and getting to be affectionate. Plz keep us reminded about mooki9e

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's so sweet. I can't wait to see her happy eyes in a few days.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That is great. Mookie will finally have a great life.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's so sweet. I can't wait to see her happy eyes in a few days.?
I'm glad you found a new baby to baby. It was funny when I found Dilly for my brother. I picked him brought him home. I do all of his care. But Dilly knew from the time he was a kitten that he's Joe's cat. My brother can't really talk but when he makes certain vocals the cat understands and cones. Looks like you found the same.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh my! I love Mookie! Animals are so cool. I ended up with a 6 yr old Maine Coon cat who was so mean her people wanted her euthanized. I got her and for the next 3 months he was locked in a tort room because he attacked anybody. Now he is pretty mellow and getting to be affectionate. Plz keep us reminded about mooki9e
He, Simon the cat is he he not she and the reason he is so fearful is because he weighs 30 lbs. Here he is washing his belly
100_4888.JPG

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You had a secret weapon- The fiercest of all the man killing breeds a Chihuahua, what dog could not feel safe with a gaurdian like that!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

View attachment 303607View attachment 303609View attachment 303610
She just needed to know that she was 'home' and someone loves her! Tell your son, "Good Job!!!" on the naming.