COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Good afternooning all.

We spent today out at the Dungeness nature reserve. Binoculars essential of course.

The weather started off grey and still, but the sun came out then then the wind got up… and finally we got soaked in a heavy shower, but as it coincided with us hearing an extremely rare Bittern we retreated to our car happy.

Dungeness is in the extreme south east of the UK and the area is one ginormous shingle beach stretching miles inland. It’s a very unusual and ecolologically important environment.

View over towards the nuclear power station. My Dad was working at the predecessor power station when I was born.
E374705F-3695-446A-B3B2-0E553428E551.jpeg

Lesser Whitethroat
51EB5FE0-90B0-428F-8484-B811113EF4C6.jpeg
Coffee stop with lambs
F057D869-67B8-46F2-A747-2AF98D39D69E.jpeg

Mute swans
97E9C04E-F84C-4051-BFFB-9FC5483306EA.jpeg

Male Reed Bunting
811CB5A2-D927-4C9C-BDB0-48996F29A71B.jpeg

Little Egret
1AED4FF8-B99B-4F03-B0A2-FEC37C17E925.jpeg

Female Linnet collecting fluff from a bullrush for her nest
9BE00F2A-5EE2-45A0-A798-9C9B228951AE.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
She has a few good recipes, one using coconut milk. I stay away from the heads also. The groupers we caught actually have cheek meat that is very good. I do have to say. The first time she cooked a pig head. I was skeptical, but the cheek meat was the best pork I ever had.
The recipe using coconut milk would be interesting. One can always substitute.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evening all, hope you're all enjoying a good day.
We have our May Day Bank Holiday in the UK tomorrow, so some people will have a day off work and a long weekend.
The weather forecast for the afternoon is for heavy rain and high winds and temps below 50F so typical bank holiday weather but much needed rain.
I'm off to bed with my book so enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
Nos Da.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Another quiet day here in the CDR.
The weather has been far from quiet here today and the rain and high winds are just as forecast so I've not ventured out.
Hope you're all having a good Monday.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Another quiet day here in the CDR.
The weather has been far from quiet here today and the rain and high winds are just as forecast so I've not ventured out.
Hope you're all having a good Monday.
I went shopping and doing paperwork for Joe. It was rainy here and I didn't mind. Except Sapphire couldn't go out. Everytime I walked in to check on him he caught me. And I know that begging look. By the time I got the steal from Kohl's and had to say NO to Sapphire, I felt guilty as charged ?

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
She has a few good recipes, one using coconut milk. I stay away from the heads also. The groupers we caught actually have cheek meat that is very good. I do have to say. The first time she cooked a pig head. I was skeptical, but the cheek meat was the best pork I ever had.
I bet she makes a great pork adobo!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh yes, one of my favorites. Also makes it with chicken.
Hey Ray have you ever heard of a law that stops people keeping a sulcata in their yard in Florida?
I've just tagged you in a post from someone whose neighbours have reported them for having a 10 inch sully and they think they'll have to rehome.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all .
Hope you are all having a good Tuesday.
I think everyone must have been pretty busy the last few days.
I've been busy doing nothing, just keeping warm and dry with Lola.
I sat on his floor today to spend some 'quality time' with him, (and to put off doing some ironing) but he marched straight up to me and tried to barge me out of the way.
He made it perfectly clear I wasn't welcome so I left him to it and reluctantly did my ironing.
What an exciting day I've had?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all .
Hope you are all having a good Tuesday.
I think everyone must have been pretty busy the last few days.
I've been busy doing nothing, just keeping warm and dry with Lola.
I sat on his floor today to spend some 'quality time' with him, (and to put off doing some ironing) but he marched straight up to me and tried to barge me out of the way.
He made it perfectly clear I wasn't welcome so I left him to it and reluctantly did my ironing.
What an exciting day I've had?
That's so funny ?. Well... they are truthful about their opinion. When I first got Sapphire I slapped together a hidy hut and he loved it. Well I got the bright idea of souping it up and make it look like a little hacienda. He took notice and just sat and looked at it for a couple of hours. Then he waltzed past and rested beside it. It was hilarious ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hey Ray have you ever heard of a law that stops people keeping a sulcata in their yard in Florida?
I've just tagged you in a post from someone whose neighbours have reported them for having a 10 inch sully and they think they'll have to rehome.
It will be interesting to see the answer to this.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It seems it's not a Florida law but the neighbourhood association :(
Doesn't seem right to me that they can dictate what pets you have as long as they're not causing a nuisance.

HOAs have all kinds of crazy rules & regulations. Some don’t like hanging baskets on balconies, some only want “approved” paint colors on the front door, some say NO to visible satellite dishes, some want trash bins placed out only on the morning of pickup....... Excited “buyers” often don’t read the fine print Of the HOA and more excited by signing the paperwork.

Pro Tip - read the HOA if your community has one...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It seems it's not a Florida law but the neighbourhood association :(
Doesn't seem right to me that they can dictate what pets you have as long as they're not causing a nuisance.
Florida is pretty strict about wildlife and in a few ways I don't blame them. There's been a lot of non native snakes etc that have been released. They are decimating the Florida native wildlife. But I don't think I'd want to live in a neighborhood that can dictate against a 10 inch tortoise when it doesn't violate Florida's laws.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HOAs have all kinds of crazy rules & regulations. Some don’t like hanging baskets on balconies, some only want “approved” paint colors on the front door, some say NO to visible satellite dishes, some want trash bins placed out only on the morning of pickup....... Excited “buyers” often don’t read the fine print Of the HOA and more excited by signing the paperwork.

Pro Tip - read the HOA if your community has one...
Crazy!!!!
Stepford is alive and kicking!!

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
In Hawaii there are really crazy HOA rules too. Houses can only be painted selected, approved colors, trash bins out of sight from the road, and must be pulled in by 3:00 pm (like everyone is going to drive home to do that) no hanging plants on the front porch, and no clotheslines. Arenʻt we trying to make the world more sustainable? A friend of mine had a plastic pink pig that was used to keep her gardening tools inside against her fence, but someone mustʻve walked by, looked over the fence, and saw it. My friend got a notice to remove it even though it was there for over 3 years. Sheesh these people!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Crazy!!!!
Stepford is alive and kicking!!
It's a whole lot worse than that. Not only do they try to tell you what to do, many HOA's accumulate massive amounts of fees & assessments to cover "contingencies" with very little control from the homeowners over how the monies are spent. Then there's telling you what colors you can paint the outside of your house, what flags you can fly, etc. These are very hard cases to win. HOA's usually prevail.