COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Agree. Just no Vitamin shots or others needed.
Thanks for answering. The biggest reason I'm so crazy is because Sapphire wasn't in good shape when I got him 14 years ago. He had holes in his shell and was very dirty. He looks a lot different now but I'm afraid they won't recognize that. He may not be perfect ever but he's active, eats good, and I don't want to kill him by trying to help him.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe @Yvonne G can tell you about the treatment they might suggest for worms/parasites if it's needed.
Then at least you'll have the information and know what to expect if there's a problem.
I have seen on here that panacure is one medicine for that. I'm so glad to have all of you. When I wake up tonight I'll be able to go back to sleep because I'll need it for tomorrow.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm no fan of vets...my current vets have been good to two of my babies, but now I have to find a new vet since we're almost done moving. I do really, really, really hate the COVID rules for vets, dentists, etc. I'd put on 5 masks to go in with my cat for a vet visit. Sending good vibes your way.
Thanks all the vibes will help a lot. With our cat and my bunny, their vet office has been the same for 11 years and I'm not so nervous. This is a new vet and first time for Sapphire. I don't get to meet her but she doesn't get to meet me either. I'm really glad to get her if she's good. Our city hasn't had a reptile vet until lately due to city laws about reptiles. I've got my fingers crossed and my hands praying she's good.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good midweek morning all.
The sky's gone pretty dark and it's threatening to rain or hail, or sleet, or snow, or maybe all four!
Place your bets!!!;)
Lola hasn't surfaced yet so maybe he knows something I don't and is staying cosied up in his hide.
Well I'd better find something to do so I'll see you later.
TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
House Rehab Update - things are moving along quickly. New roof, new windows, all rooms & ceilings painted, all old fixtures down & new ones ready to go up. Today new SS microwave, double oven & refrigerator get delivered. All new carpeting end of week. Garage exterior had some damaged wrapping & siding - being replaced when the rain stops. Wifey is refreshing/painting all the kitchen cabinetry.

Then some final landscaping.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
House Rehab Update - things are moving along quickly. New roof, new windows, all rooms & ceilings painted, all old fixtures down & new ones ready to go up. Today new SS microwave, double oven & refrigerator get delivered. All new carpeting end of week. Garage exterior had some damaged wrapping & siding - being replaced when the rain stops. Wifey is refreshing/painting all the kitchen cabinetry.

Then some final landscaping.
You're going to a lot of expense on a house that's going to be sold. I hope you're able to recoup your output.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
It's a sellers market in Oregon, I bet in Maryland as wellView attachment 324538
I think it's a seller's market all over. We sold our home in Colorado "As Is" a few days before putting a sign out or it even going on the internet.

Our neighbor across the street sold his home within 3-4 weeks after putting it on the market at a ridiculously high price. He had a contract within the first 5 days, but the 1st deal fell thru.

A friend's daughter"s home in Colorado sold the day it went on the market for $55,000 over their asking price.

We bought our home in Oklahoma within 4 days of it hitting the market. We bought the house from the photos & a friend's viewing of the house.

It's crazy. @Maro2Bear may be right to do the rehab. Of course, I've been watching way too much HGTV over the last 2 or 3 months.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm quite shocked at hearing about what HOAs can make people do with their own properties. I'm all in favour of people being considerate to their neighbours, but what paint and planters you can have and how you dry your washing etc is way over the top!?
There may be similar schemes in posh housing estates in the UK but none that I've heard of - I'm not posh enough!?
I have never heard of this in the UK either.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've just been reading about all the places in the UK that have had snow today.?
North Wales, some areas of the Midlands, Northern England and Scotland had snow but it could reach further south this week. The good news is it doesn't last too long.
Night temps are down to about 32F in some areas.
The Man Utd football pitch had to be cleared of snow and hail before a big game today - not what you'd expect in May!!
Yes, my Mum had snow in Buxton yesterday

We jhabe finally had some rain. The grass is still like concrete, but it’s a start

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I have never heard of this in the UK either.

You guys have tall hedges, fences, stone walls. Sometimes, HOA rules are a benefit. We had a next door neighbor running a business from his house that included bucket trucks, many employees showing up for dispatch, “verticulated lorry” (tractor trailer) deliveries, power washing the fleet of trucks in the cul-de-sac, etc.

We were able to encourage him to depart via some HOA help.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good evenooning all.

Monday started early as I covered a shift at the rescue from 7-10am. When I got home, we got stuck into chores. It’s Hedgehog Awareness Week in the UK and I had got some leaflets from the British Hedgehog Preservation Society about how to help them. I posted them at all the houses on the roads in our block... about 130. Initial results are encouraging. I had two people who happened to be outside their properties talk to me at length about what they could do and two nice emails too. :)

That night we saw something dreadfully sad on our camera. A hedgehog with no use of it back legs. I raced out in the rain and grabbed it and we boxed it.

I was back at the rescue for my regular shift early on Tuesday and took it with me, but as I feared had a broken back and it had to be put to sleep. ? There was no sign of open wounds so how the hedgehog got injured is a mystery.

At the rescue we are inundated with baby birds blown out of their nests in the recent high winds.

I fed everything from just hatched Song Thrushes which needed attention every 10 minutes to a near fledging Rook, our biggest crow species, that was about the size of duck! The Rook was lovely actually and very easy to feed. You just shovel it in him and then he suddenly goes to sleep for half an hour. It’s like those videos of very tired toddlers falling asleep in their high chair. ?
C14ABCFE-4B86-486B-BB9B-DCF3C754CC2F.jpeg

Today has been cold and just got very wet. At least our pond is refilling.

In other news my Schlumberga as decided to flower. I have no idea what this one is. It has a very narrow leaf and doesn’t usually flower until June.

78429E6C-A7BF-44B7-AC0B-5982505FD731.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I think it's a seller's market all over. We sold our home in Colorado "As Is" a few days before putting a sign out or it even going on the internet.

Our neighbor across the street sold his home within 3-4 weeks after putting it on the market at a ridiculously high price. He had a contract within the first 5 days, but the 1st deal fell thru.

A friend's daughter"s home in Colorado sold the day it went on the market for $55,000 over their asking price.

We bought our home in Oklahoma within 4 days of it hitting the market. We bought the house from the photos & a friend's viewing of the house.

It's crazy. @Maro2Bear may be right to do the rehab. Of course, I've been watching way too much HGTV over the last 2 or 3 months.

Yes, it’s a seller’s market here in Maryland as well. We want to present a pretty well updated 50 year-old house. It NEEDED a new roof, and NEEDED the windows, the rooms all needed painting. The kitchen oven was original......pretty much non-operational. Carpeting could have probably stayed, but folks like a NEW fresh look. A lot of upgrades are cosmetic as well - new wall switches/plates, lights. Staining of the deck.

We’re hoping as well for a quick sale. After all the upgrades, we’ll put it on the ma4ket in
You're going to a lot of expense on a house that's going to be sold. I hope you're able to recoup your output.

Yes, but a lot of these “fixes” needed to be done. Depending on the buyer & who they are financing with & buyer’s “home inspections”. These upgrades will just add to the value. There’s also a nice big back yard & we are within walking distance to our neighborhood swimming pool, ball field, & tennis courts (no fees for home owners).

I’m sure wifey will up our initial asking price a bit as well. Most houses in our little block going for about $475k give or take.

The Common Areas for Recreation (walking distance)C6120079-6AA4-478E-AD89-BCB68958F27E.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sapphire had his first vet appointment today and she was very nice. I didn't get to see her face to face but I was so happy I almost cried. We talked on the phone. Sapphire was a good boy and gave her a goody care package ? too so it was fresh as it could be ?. She'll be an extra backup just in case. I was really nervous about it but it went the way I knew it should.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good evenooning all.

Monday started early as I covered a shift at the rescue from 7-10am. When I got home, we got stuck into chores. It’s Hedgehog Awareness Week in the UK and I had got some leaflets from the British Hedgehog Preservation Society about how to help them. I posted them at all the houses on the roads in our block... about 130. Initial results are encouraging. I had two people who happened to be outside their properties talk to me at length about what they could do and two nice emails too. :)

That night we saw something dreadfully sad on our camera. A hedgehog with no use of it back legs. I raced out in the rain and grabbed it and we boxed it.

I was back at the rescue for my regular shift early on Tuesday and took it with me, but as I feared had a broken back and it had to be put to sleep. ? There was no sign of open wounds so how the hedgehog got injured is a mystery.

At the rescue we are inundated with baby birds blown out of their nests in the recent high winds.

I fed everything from just hatched Song Thrushes which needed attention every 10 minutes to a near fledging Rook, our biggest crow species, that was about the size of duck! The Rook was lovely actually and very easy to feed. You just shovel it in him and then he suddenly goes to sleep for half an hour. It’s like those videos of very tired toddlers falling asleep in their high chair. ?
View attachment 324545

Today has been cold and just got very wet. At least our pond is refilling.

In other news my Schlumberga as decided to flower. I have no idea what this one is. It has a very narrow leaf and doesn’t usually flower until June.

View attachment 324546
I wonder if hedgehogs are similar to rabbits since their body shape is so similar. Rabbits can break their back easily just by being startled. That's why it's such a search for a vet to nueter or fix them. It's dangerous for the rabbit coming to after sedation.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I wonder if hedgehogs are similar to rabbits since their body shape is so similar. Rabbits can break their back easily just by being startled. That's why it's such a search for a vet to nueter or fix them. It's dangerous for the rabbit coming to after sedation.
No they aren’t. Hedgehogs are designed to “ball”. They’re really flexible and can get into the most extraordinary positions. A broken back suggests impact damage of some sort. Perhaps a car, but it’s odd there were no other wounds.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
You guys have tall hedges, fences, stone walls. Sometimes, HOA rules are a benefit. We had a next door neighbor running a business from his house that included bucket trucks, many employees showing up for dispatch, “verticulated lorry” (tractor trailer) deliveries, power washing the fleet of trucks in the cul-de-sac, etc.

HOAs aren't all bad. They do help when you have extreme abuse of the rules, as your example exemplifies. It's when their enforcement of the rules go to the opposite extreme, like Squirt, who will at worst try to get out of his yard/patio & eat neighbors' dandelions, ram their fence or burrow in their yards. In this sense, he is kind of like having a cat or dog. (I know he's not in reality).

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
HOAs aren't all bad. They do help when you have extreme abuse of the rules, as your example exemplifies. It's when their enforcement of the rules go to the opposite extreme, like Squirt, who will at worst try to get out of his yard/patio & eat neighbors' dandelions, ram their fence or burrow in their yards. In this sense, he is kind of like having a cat or dog. (I know he's not in reality).
Well I'm thinking that zoning laws should cover a business operating in a residential district anyway. Also any tort parent would be mortified if s/he got loose and ate a neighbor's dandelions. They might have used poison to get rid of them. Other than that, I can't think of a single reason why a neighborhood should have a cookie cutter look to it.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

We'd use the local council for something like that.