COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
If you want noisy birds, come to the rescue. The starling boom has taken off and it is deafening. We have two big enclosures with youngsters in them and if my feeding partner and I happened to be doing both at the same time the noise levels were almost painful!

At the cuter end of the scale I was feeding this tiny Treecreeper who dozed off on my hand.
View attachment 327208

Google picture of an adult.
View attachment 327209

And also this little pied wagtail.
View attachment 327210

View attachment 327211

In another cage we had 3 young Jackdaws and a young Carrion Crow. The Carrion Crow is starting to feed himself, but the Jackdaws kept begging from him so he fed them. I intervened and fed the Jackdaws. The Crow moved to the back and just gave me a look as if to say “Where were you? I’ve been doing your job! It’s not good enough!” ?
I love that!!!! You can truely see how different the babies look from the adult. It would make a great book for rehabilitators and people that want to help wildlife.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Some very large thunderstorms rolled through here late last night. A ton of rain, thunder & lightening. Lots of downed limbs & trees. One house near DC was struck by lightening - burnt down.

I got out early to enjoy the calm after the storm.

Nice Calm Start
8DFFA8B5-B27C-4DEC-8DC8-C1ED6CBB0C9C.jpeg

What I See
4B9EFA2F-2359-45BE-9D06-2B56DD769631.jpeg
What the Camera Sees
D60BA801-19F9-4CC9-86E4-3D910ADB2404.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If you want noisy birds, come to the rescue. The starling boom has taken off and it is deafening. We have two big enclosures with youngsters in them and if my feeding partner and I happened to be doing both at the same time the noise levels were almost painful!

At the cuter end of the scale I was feeding this tiny Treecreeper who dozed off on my hand.
View attachment 327208

View attachment 327209

View attachment 327210

View attachment 327211

In another cage we had 3 young Jackdaws and a young Carrion Crow. The Carrion Crow is starting to feed himself, but the Jackdaws kept begging from him so he fed them. I intervened and fed the Jackdaws. The Crow moved to the back and just gave me a look as if to say “Where were you? I’ve been doing your job! It’s not good enough!” ?
What a most fearsome name "Treecreeper"!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I love the birds in my garden. It's been quite noisy for a few days I think some sparrow fledglings were still calling to be fed but Mother Sparrow had obviously had enough of her youngsters and left them to it. She's probably busy laying another clutch so will have to go through it all over again.

My bee isn't looking very good. He's probably worn himself out doing whatever he was doing. I've left him some more sugared water to see if he'll revive but don't think he will, it's been too long.

Fix hiiimmmm
Save himmm!!!!! ?????❤️?
Poor little bee..
Never hurt anyone ..... (yet).
Does anyone on here raise bees?
Maybe they could tell you why he is down on the dumps? Not feeling well...etc...
I heard once long ago when a certain kind of bee stings you it dies is that the kind of beat this is?
What about a spoonful of honey?
Or will he be like...
“Lady, are you SERIOUS?”
Just a suggestion ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

View attachment 327208

View attachment 327209

View attachment 327210

View attachment 327211

Ooooooo...!!! How adorable!!!
I want the first one!
I might have to send you a pair of earbuds and a list of good tunes!!???
Maybe Maro2bear can send a tape of the cicadas?? ???????
It must be deafening and you want to scream every time you leave the place? ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What a most fearsome name "Treecreeper"!
They creep up trees. Nothing sinister. They start at the bottom of the trunk and work their way up the tree looking for insects in the bark. They’re just under 6 inches long. Not big.

The Nuthatch I showed a few weeks ago feeds in a similar way, but starts at the top of a trunk and works it’s way to the bottom, head down. It’s an easy way to know what you have seen: head up = treecreeper, head down = nuthatch :)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Fix hiiimmmm
Save himmm!!!!! ?????❤️?
Poor little bee..
Maybe they could tell you why he is down on the dumps? Not feeling well...etc...
I heard once long ago when a certain kind of bee stings you it dies is that the kind of beat this is?
Or will he be like...
“Lady, are you SERIOUS?”
Just a suggestion ?
It's a honey bee that when they sting something they die. I don't know if that happens to others.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
That's interesting that you only have 3 species. We have so many different ones and some that mimic venomous ones to boot. I've always had an interest in knowing what I'm seeing because...if there's a snake in the yard I'll probably step on it. I don't know how I have never been bit. Except for the grace of God.?
I ran over a big black one on the road on my bike & I screamed but didn't wreck, which was a miracle itself.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Fix hiiimmmm
Save himmm!!!!! ?????❤️?
Poor little bee..
Or will he be like...
“Lady, are you SERIOUS?”
Just a suggestion ?
Sadly he didn't make it. :(
I've had a good look at him with a magnifying glass to see if I could spot what was making him behave so strangely, and manically, but he looked perfect. He was a white tailed bumblebee I think.
At least he had a chance to recover, if I'd left him on the path a bird would have had him or he would have been too hot in the sun.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Did a quick walk about the garden. Lo & behold, the banana plantation is putting up yet another flower pod. Early stages they look like a mis-shapen ear of corn.

View attachment 327028

The front garden is still flowering with Hostas & Astilbe. Leatrice & yellow Cone Flower just opening.
View attachment 327029

Our Persimmon Tree is FULL of fruit as well. They are self selecting, so will drop a lot of fruit before they ripen in late October.
View attachment 327030
Hello Marco2Bear, like the looks of your garden and your Banana Tree. I took your advice and bought a Hardy Banana tree, have a guestion. Since I transplanted my tree into a larger pot, I've noticed some new growth coming from around the sides of the bigger plant. Do you thing its possible to transplant the newer plants into their own pots once they get a little bigger, or should I just let them grow together.

Attachments

• 20210615_182641.jpg
    20210615_182641.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Some very large thunderstorms rolled through here late last night. A ton of rain, thunder & lightening. Lots of downed limbs & trees. One house near DC was struck by lightening - burnt down.

I got out early to enjoy the calm after the storm.

Nice Calm Start
View attachment 327214

What I See
View attachment 327216
What the Camera Sees
View attachment 327215
And more great bird pictures...we had a beautiful day here. Humidity perfect and only around 77f or so. I had to get a blanket?. It's supposed to get down to 52f tonight. I'll be freezing. For a few days it's going to be fall like instead of summer.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Haven't a clue. I was riding a bike w/skinny tires. I didn't look back. If you saw me riding a bike, you"d understand. I used to hit trees & telephone poles w/regularity, no matter how far they were from the street.
Sounds like me and one reason I like both feet on the ground.? Even though I take the chance of stepping on a snake. I even had one chase me once. I didn't step on that one but came real close. I think it was a blue racer.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Sounds like me and one reason I like both feet on the ground.? Even though I take the chance of stepping on a snake. I even had one chase me once. I didn't step on that one but came real close. I think it was a blue racer.
Yikes!! I haven't had one chase me, but I've been too close to live rattlers. When I met my husband, he had "Henry" in the freezer. Henry was a dead rattler. I didn't cook meals at his house back then.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
Mid week again.
Lola has found his usual basking spot and is stretched out watching the world go by.
He'd better make the most of it some rain and lower temps are on the way.
I have a list of things to do today so better get on with them.
See you later.