COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My little hummingbird came back again this evening. It's a little green one. I've seen that same color in my back yard in the past. I think it may be an Anna's. I feel so blessed. Pictures when I can. It shouldn't be hard because they don't scare easy. It's catching them with the slowness of a camera that's the only problem. Hope and pray ?

Hey Cathie. I’m pretty sure that you are seeing Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds at your feeder, not the Anna’s type.

I looked at the range map for Anna’s and they are really a western hummer.

9F77C75F-5D8A-44A9-9F22-8CCD47B6765F.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hey Cathie. I’m pretty sure that you are seeing Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds at your feeder, not the Anna’s type.

View attachment 330241
Notice that the Anna's hummer has a Rufus colored back, the ruby-throated do not. We get 5 different subspecies of hummer here...I have 3 feeders...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 330241
They actually have been seen although rarely in our area. Unless it's a female Ruby throated. It's a dull green all over. That's what keeps coming up when I describe it. Also there's no red on it at all that I can see so far . I don't care either way. I'm just thrilled that putting up my feeder got results. I'll try my best to get a picture. I've seen that color of one in my backyard for several years but I always just see one hanging around.?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Good evenooning all. We had both children visit today as it’s JoesDad’s birthday tomorrow. They’re gone now, but it is lovely to see them :)

We are currently in the middle of a deluge. I hesitate to call it a storm. It’s raining so hard that the satellite tv isn’t working.
It was horrible here yesterday. We finally had a dry yard. Our area surpassed our annual rainfall back in June. It was so nice to have the mud drying up. Then this is what we looked like after 45 minutes of rain.

Attachments

• 195404FD-47A1-4659-A79B-9363D341D434.jpeg
    195404FD-47A1-4659-A79B-9363D341D434.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Good afternooning all. We had a lot of rain and there has been flooding locally. Fortunately we are at the top of a hill and, while the pond is brim full and so are the rain butts, we are very unlikely to flood ever.

JoesDad and I are going to London again tonight for his birthday present this time. We have tickets to see comedian Bill Bailey who is probably unheard of on the other side of the Atlantic. He is is very funny and also a talented musician, so it will be interesting to see what his show is like. He’s also a keen birdwatcher which undoubtedly features very little in his act :D
I’ll have to look him up.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
My photos certainly don't match those of our friends across the pond, however, here is what Californians call the Beach and Oregonians call The Coast.
This is less than an hour from my house, but it's mostly a 2 lane mountain road that most Oregonians can't seem to drive well.
It was gonna be over 100 degrees in the Willamette Valley, so my friend and I headed for the Coast with every other person from Corvallis...
we had a ball...
This is Nye beach at Newport Oregon...crowded but the fog bank is staying out...
View attachment 330146
I love this picture. It is so pretty there!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
It was horrible here yesterday. We finally had a dry yard. Our area surpassed our annual rainfall back in June. It was so nice to have the mud drying up. Then this is what we looked like after 45 minutes of rain.

Ok… let’s find the “good in the bad”….

1)- the torts will love to soak in it.
2)- piggies will play in mud and cool off.
3)- ducks and geese well…. That goes without saying (as already in the picture)
4)- horses don’t care they are used to all types of weather…??
5)- scoop it into buckets and use it instead of using your house water and save $$$??
6)- you now have your very own in ground pool?
Put on a bathing suit the next sunny day and sit in it with a Piña colada?
….. ?

Be right over! ?????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Ok… let’s find the “good in the bad”….

1)- the torts will love to soak in it.
2)- piggies will play in mud and cool off.
3)- ducks and geese well…. That goes without saying (as already in the picture)
4)- horses don’t care they are used to all types of weather…??
5)- scoop it into buckets and use it instead of using your house water and save $$$??
6)- you now have your very own in ground pool?
Put on a bathing suit the next sunny day and sit in it with a Piña colada?
….. ?

Be right over! ?????

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/63/03/B6F767AA-9773-438E-BCA5-46065FD41AED/tmp.gif

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Or…..you could re live one of the most funnest moments in creation!!
I don’t know anyone who hasn’t tried this at least once! ??

Attachments

• 30B8ABAD-1BEE-45A4-A2FF-1DB0E7CE3FF4.png
    30B8ABAD-1BEE-45A4-A2FF-1DB0E7CE3FF4.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 1F700132-0E05-4CB8-AEEA-BDCA7856A8A9.png
    1F700132-0E05-4CB8-AEEA-BDCA7856A8A9.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 68D7EC90-D3A4-4321-9F2C-417696981124.png
    68D7EC90-D3A4-4321-9F2C-417696981124.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 7
  • B6C35FF5-2867-4DAB-B7E7-D529870FFA68.png
    B6C35FF5-2867-4DAB-B7E7-D529870FFA68.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 4D4D0A02-AE13-41AF-8D1A-7A49F6FBBF67.png
    4D4D0A02-AE13-41AF-8D1A-7A49F6FBBF67.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 7
  • E2EA693F-49E6-4167-866B-20BED843B63B.png
    E2EA693F-49E6-4167-866B-20BED843B63B.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 7

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We'd been getting hundred year floods for a few years but so far this year has been a bit better. Thank God. Hello it's nice to see you again ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Notice that the Anna's hummer has a Rufus colored back, the ruby-throated do not. We get 5 different subspecies of hummer here...I have 3 feeders...
What's a Rufus colored back? The hummingbird I'm seeing is about the same color as a green apple. It's not shiny even in the sun. Whatever species it is is fine with me. I got a hummer ☺️ woohoo ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
@Maro2Bear : Now I'm seeing your avatar picture. Is it a sulcata? Before it was either blank or some sort of little blue square.
It was weird with me. His avatar looked the same on his posts but not on my alerts. They had a light blue look and not the same. I thought he had changed it and it wasn't showing up yet.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternooning all. We had a lot of rain and there has been flooding locally. Fortunately we are at the top of a hill and, while the pond is brim full and so are the rain butts, we are very unlikely to flood ever.

JoesDad and I are going to London again tonight for his birthday present this time. We have tickets to see comedian Bill Bailey who is probably unheard of on the other side of the Atlantic. He is is very funny and also a talented musician, so it will be interesting to see what his show is like. He’s also a keen birdwatcher which undoubtedly features very little in his act :D
I like Bill Bailey he is funny and very talented - that should be a good show!
Have a great time!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Didn't fall through the ceiling so all good. ?
I found a lot that can go out but will have to wait for one of my nephews to help me move it, I don't think my weak knee could cope with several trips up and down a ladder.
It has felt quite autumnal this evening, My feet were freezing so I've got my woolly socks on to warm them up. We had some lightning and rain this afternoon and it was quite dark by 9.30 pm.
I think I'll be like Lola and take to bed early, so nos da see you tomorrow.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Didn't fall through the ceiling so all good. ?
I found a lot that can go out but will have to wait for one of my nephews to help me move it, I don't think my weak knee could cope with several trips up and down a ladder.
It has felt quite autumnal this evening, My feet were freezing so I've got my woolly socks on to warm them up. We had some lightning and rain this afternoon and it was quite dark by 9.30 pm.
I think I'll be like Lola and take to bed early, so nos da see you tomorrow.
Of course I had to watch singing in the rain ?️☔ and it got me to thinking about a UK comedian that used to be on over here. I found the unforgettable Benny Hill Show.?