COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Good job. I think you need to add more syrup, it looks very empty.

Thats quite a large hummer there!
I sure hope the little pig can't drink 10 ozs in a single feeding 😱. It's a strange little hummingbird feeder. It's a flat bowl but you can also add one under that by a hook. It can be taken easily totally apart and cleaned. I thought I'd just try one but I think I'll get another and retire my original one. I bought it before I found out not to buy a hummingbird feeder with yellow on it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think my Misty Girl has a cataract. Seems like it was just last week I kept posting, "Did I tell you I got a new puppy??

The pupil of her right eye looks a bit opaque and she's hesitant to hop over the tortoise fences at night unless I shine the flashlight on them.

I'm not ready for her to be old.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I sure hope the little pig can't drink 10 ozs in a single feeding 😱. It's a strange little hummingbird feeder. It's a flat bowl but you can also add one under that by a hook. It can be taken easily totally apart and cleaned. I thought I'd just try one but I think I'll get another and retire my original one. I bought it before I found out not to buy a hummingbird feeder with yellow on it.
I looked it up it's manufactured by wild wings. They have some pretty neat feeders. Beautiful ones This one you can get at Walmart for $8.97. it's called the so real mini but holds what I normally have to use in my large glass feeder. I don't have a herd like you do 😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think my Misty Girl has a cataract. Seems like it was just last week I kept posting, "Did I tell you I got a new puppy??

The pupil of her right eye looks a bit opaque and she's hesitant to hop over the tortoise fences at night unless I shine the flashlight on them.

I'm not ready for her to be old.
🤗I know what you mean. Dilly is around 12 and Razberri about 6. I don't know where the time went.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
🤗I know what you mean. Dilly is around 12 and Razberri about 6. I don't know where the time went.
Yes, tell me about it, I have a one eyed beagle for the last 10 years (she was about 5 when I got her from the rescue) , over the last 2 years she has lost the sight in the one eye she has, the Dr. says it's cataracts, and says the operation will make her Totally blind. Right now, I believe she can see shapes and light & dark. She can bumble around, but I/we don't know if were ready to go totally blind....
She goes out into the back yard and wanders, I think she kinda remembers the lay of the land, so to speak. So, she still gets around . .

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
According to the article he belongs to Swallow Aquatics in East Harling. He escaped and was hit by the train.
Thanks Yvonne, I didn’t have a chance to read the whole article. I was at work and frantic for this person. I pray that he is going to be ok. I read something about
“A hole” in its shell??? 😱😭

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yes, tell me about it, I have a one eyed beagle for the last 10 years (she was about 5 when I got her from the rescue) , over the last 2 years she has lost the sight in the one eye she has, the Dr. says it's cataracts, and says the operation will make her Totally blind. Right now, I believe she can see shapes and light & dark. She can bumble around, but I/we don't know if were ready to go totally blind....
She goes out into the back yard and wanders, I think she kinda remembers the lay of the land, so to speak. So, she still gets around . .

It's funny and sad to watch, isn't it? Kerry's kids had a Labradoodle(?) and he got old & blind....standing in Kerry back yard, with DEER 25ft away.....and even THEY knew he couldn't see them but he managed to get around without too much bumping into things. Like you said, they seem to imprint their surroundings.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon Lyn, what laptop are you getting, just curious. Re: @ and ", why do they need to keep messing with things?
My Seymour is Up and out, having breakfast, then after the sun comes out, it will be out into the yard, for exercise. Been nasty here the last few days , , Windy, ARG! I hate the wind, would rather have it cold or hot.
It's Bird cage Tuesday, I have 4+ hrs of cleaning bird cages to do, it takes longer because they want to come down and help, and want some lovin & attention . . I mistreat my kids terribly 🤔 🦜 🤣😍
Hi there, the shop didn't have the laptop I wanted in stock so I had to order it online. The old laptop I've been using didn't have any security on it so I used my sister's to order it safely.
I eventually decided on a Dell Inspiron 16 plus 7610. I've always had Dells and they've been pretty good so stuck with what I know. The position of the symbols for @ and " turned out not to be an issue. It seems they are reversed on the US models which the pictures on the website showed, but they are still in the same spots for the UK so I don't have to retrain myself - it took me so long to get a straight answer about that though - even the Dell help team didn't know.
Anyway it arrived today and so far so good!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all,
I've not been able to get on the forum for a few days on the borrowed laptop, so I wondered if it was down for site maintenance, but judging by the number of posts I have to catch up on it doesn't look like anyone else was having trouble. Anyway all good now and no problems with TFO on my shiny new laptop!!
I hope you are all well, and especially hope that any Kentucky members and those from nearby areas are safe after the horrendous floods they've had. :(
It's very muggy here - we've had some rain and temps are back to usual mid to high 20Cs / 70Fs.
No substantial rain is likely for a while and hose pipe bans for gardens swimming pools and ponds etc have started in the south - so Linda will be affected by that and I can see many other areas doing that soon. The last time we had such a dry spring and summer they turned the water off to ration it and people had to get their water from stand pipes in the street - I was a teenager at the time and remember it well.
Lola is well - very active and hungry!!
I hope you're all having a good Weds and I'd better get back to reading what you've all been getting up to.
So TTFN

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It''s been 102-108 every day for nearly a month. Houdini gets way too hot even in the shade, so he''s stuck inside w/me. His outdoor pen is still not finished but when it was cooler, he was literally up to his old tricks of trying to escape. He also "graduated" to a bigger soaking tub since he was tall enough to hook an armpit, strong enough, stubborn enough & determined to escape the old one. I figure he's got at least a good year in this new one. He knows it, too, from the look on his face.
Lola has started doing that with his front legs but because he's wonky on his back legs he hasn't managed to pull himself out of his tub yet. I'm looking for a higher sided tray for him though.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Lola has started doing that with his front legs but because he's wonky on his back legs he hasn't managed to pull himself out of his tub yet. I'm looking for a higher sided tray for him though.
Having said that, I just popped outside to check on Lola and he had managed to bulldoze one side of his enclosure over and escaped into the rest of the garden. Thankfully it's only small and he can't get out, but looks like he pushed some pots around and tried to get out through the hedgehog gate in the fence - it's a good job his butt is too big or I would be frantically running around looking for him now.
Some modifications are needed!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Having said that, I just popped outside to check on Lola and he had managed to bulldoze one side of his enclosure over and escaped into the rest of the garden. Thankfully it's only small and he can't get out, but looks like he pushed some pots around and tried to get out through the hedgehog gate in the fence - it's a good job his butt is too big or I would be frantically running around looking for him now.
Some modifications are needed!!!
It looks like Tortoises always suspect the grass is greener on the other side and don't leave a stone unturned just in case it really is. The little turdesses 🐢🤗

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Our weather prognosticators called for a nice hot day, but no humidity. Soooo, got out on the water early. Flat calm conditions. Spotted plenty of fish, a massive watersnake, many Blue Herons, a few Green Herons, and many ducks n geese.

There were a few Snowy Egrets flying about and this one stayed still long enough for a photo op. As i pushed the shutter, up flys a Bald Eagle. Two birds with one snap.

AC84B6F3-0DE0-48CE-82FC-26F0BE17CECA.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Our weather prognosticators called for a nice hot day, but no humidity. Soooo, got out on the water early. Flat calm conditions. Spotted plenty of fish, a massive watersnake, many Blue Herons, a few Green Herons, and many ducks n geese.

There were a few Snowy Egrets flying about and this one stayed still long enough for a photo op. As i pushed the shutter, up flys a Bald Eagle. Two birds with one snap.

View attachment 348266

Another shot of this same Snowy Egret

6BF8183C-2161-4C90-A920-3530E517305C.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Another shot of this same Snowy Egret

View attachment 348273
Here the weather prognosticators were saying I'd be half dead by the end of the day and my poor tortoise to boot 🙃😁 but guess what it's a lovely 91°f in the front yard under the crab apple tree and 89 in the out back. I'm comfortable even though I'm cooking a meatloaf in the oven. It's 79°f in my living area and evidently the humidity is perfect for me at 58%☺️

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's funny. I finally looked up what one of my clocks says the time is. It's shows 5 hours after my real time. It's a WiFi temperature device for the outback in Sapphire's enclosure. I thought about resetting it but couldn't bring myself to do that. Guess where 🙃it is 😂😁