COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
At least with my nasty neighbours I don't have to worry about shots being fired - I can't promise that they won't have to worry about the same from me though next time they cut my trees! ;)
Remember if you are shooting from a elevated position. You have a tendency to shot high.👍

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Just be careful. You don’t want to have a “medical emergency” out in the middle of no where.
With her still not feeling 100%. She has decided not to go. We talked about a emergency in a area with no medical available. Could you imagine having a situation where the plane was half way over the ocean. When we were discussing that. I had a realization that my air travel anywhere but the U.S. Is probably my only option.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning all,
Another bright and sunny day here.
Our new King isn't too far away from me today 👑
He's on the Welsh leg of his tour of the 4 nations of the UK, but with my gammy hammy leg I didn't think I'd be able to walk as far I'd have to, or stand too long, so watching it on TV. He's had to give his speeches in both the English and Welsh language, but he's given it his best shot. I've been hoping the Welsh nationalists wouldn't turn up to shout and boo at him - maybe they're waiting for William's visit - they don't want a Prince of Wales.

We've been given an extra bank holiday for the Queens funeral on Monday so it will be a long weekend for most people in the UK.

The new date for my op is the10th October so not too long - and I still have the option of postponing again if I don't think my hamstring has healed enough. Fingers crossed it will be much better by then🤞

I hope you all have a good day.
TTFN
Good luck with your hamstring.

LJL1982

UK
Good luck with your hamstring.
Good morning all,
Another bright and sunny day here.
Our new King isn't too far away from me today 👑
He's on the Welsh leg of his tour of the 4 nations of the UK, but with my gammy hammy leg I didn't think I'd be able to walk as far I'd have to, or stand too long, so watching it on TV. He's had to give his speeches in both the English and Welsh language, but he's given it his best shot. I've been hoping the Welsh nationalists wouldn't turn up to shout and boo at him - maybe they're waiting for William's visit - they don't want a Prince of Wales.

We've been given an extra bank holiday for the Queens funeral on Monday so it will be a long weekend for most people in the UK.

The new date for my op is the10th October so not too long - and I still have the option of postponing again if I don't think my hamstring has healed enough. Fingers crossed it will be much better by then🤞

I hope you all have a good day.
TTFN
Sorry to hear you have had a bad leg, I know some excellent physios if you get stuck and need recommendations. I too considered heading into the Capital today but couldnt face the road closures...Cardiff has become a nightmare with all the one ways and cycle lanes as is!

I'm having a big sort out of my back oom this weekend to prep for what might be a decision not to hibernate my Ibera. I've convinced myself he has stones stuck in his tail and that's what his weight is made up of. He toileted some out recently and I think I can feel more. I swear it could just be some health anxiety by me though as he's eating and toileting and behaving perfectly normally! I'm tempted to get him an xray when I take another to the vets in the week...but the costs just stack up and probably unnecessarily. May as well prepare for a failure to hibernate by him as happened last year, and use the excuse to actually get things onto ebay which I've meant to shift for months!

Have a lovely weekend all.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
With her still not feeling 100%. She has decided not to go. We talked about a emergency in a area with no medical available. Could you imagine having a situation where the plane was half way over the ocean. When we were discussing that. I had a realization that my air travel anywhere but the U.S. Is probably my only option.
I'm sorry Rose isn't feeling 100%yet and will miss this trip buuuttt... taking her time to heal is best. That'll just make the next trip even better.🤗🙏

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Rose is still feeling a little off. So she decided to stay home. They are already talking about Japan and S. Korea next year.😁
Better safe than sorry - there's no place like home if you're not feeling well. Next year sounds exciting and something for Rose to look forward to.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry to hear you have had a bad leg, I know some excellent physios if you get stuck and need recommendations. I too considered heading into the Capital today but couldnt face the road closures...Cardiff has become a nightmare with all the one ways and cycle lanes as is!

I'm having a big sort out of my back room this weekend to prep for what might be a decision not to hibernate my Ibera. I've convinced myself he has stones stuck in his tail and that's what his weight is made up of. He toileted some out recently and I think I can feel more. I swear it could just be some health anxiety by me though as he's eating and toileting and behaving perfectly normally! I'm tempted to get him an xray when I take another to the vets in the week...but the costs just stack up and probably unnecessarily. May as well prepare for a failure to hibernate by him as happened last year, and use the excuse to actually get things onto ebay which I've meant to shift for months!

Have a lovely weekend all.
I always use the trains when I go to Cardiff now to avoid the roads and steep parking fees. I'll be seeing a physio soon enough after I have an arthroscopy on my knee but many thanks for the offer of contacts.
Could it be that your tort needs more hydration/soaking? That generally seems to be the cause of stones - or maybe too much calcium in his diet? If he's a stone eater in the garden then it could be a mineral deficiency. In the US a product called Miner-All is used for that, I think it's available online here.
The last x-ray Lola had several years ago had the added cost of sedation with it so that they could relax his limbs to do it, but it was the only way to find out what was going on with him. That was with Sophie of Origin at the Whitchurch vet clinic.
I hope it's nothing serious. Best to keep him awake if there's a potential problem. Good luck with the ebay sales!

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We are finally getting some nice weather for Sapphire. It's been so cold even during the day, he's not really gotten outside for very long for several days. It stayed nice and hot in the sun (a little above a 100°f or so) and a comfortable 80ish° f in the air today. Here's hoping we get a few more.🙏🤗
Sounds like our climates have swapped over Cathie! Lola is still out enjoying the sun here in his favourite sheltered spot, but the temps have dropped considerably this weekend to about 62F. so he won't have much longer outside.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all,
It's bright and sunny here but definitely chillier. It would be a lovely day for a good walk - hopefully something I'll soon be able to do.
Lola is only just stirring in his hide and he'll soon be out looking for his breakfast so I'd better go and plate it up!!
Have a good day and TTFN

LJL1982

UK
I always use the trains when I go to Cardiff now to avoid the roads and steep parking fees. I'll be seeing a physio soon enough after I have an arthroscopy on my knee but many thanks for the offer of contacts.
Could it be that your tort needs more hydration/soaking? That generally seems to be the cause of stones - or maybe too much calcium in his diet? If he's a stone eater in the garden then it could be a mineral deficiency. In the US a product called Miner-All is used for that, I think it's available online here.
The last x-ray Lola had several years ago had the added cost of sedation with it so that they could relax his limbs to do it, but it was the only way to find out what was going on with him. That was with Sophie of Origin at the Whitchurch vet clinic.
I hope it's nothing serious. Best to keep him awake if there's a potential problem. Good luck with the ebay sales!
He has lots of soaks...he ate them after I didn't realise they were in his enclosure...I tried to stop him but he swallowed them.

I've tried miner-all and all the cuttlefish and zoomed blocks in the world, nutrobal, everything. I think he thinks gravel is pellet food.

He's been pooing in the bath and some came out. I feel like I can feel some in his tail (but never really felt his tail before so it might be his down belows inside it!)

He's got a couple of weeks till hibernation decision. I'll keep daily bathing and check he's still eating.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He has lots of soaks...he ate them after I didn't realise they were in his enclosure...I tried to stop him but he swallowed them.

I've tried miner-all and all the cuttlefish and zoomed blocks in the world, nutrobal, everything. I think he thinks gravel is pellet food.

He's been pooing in the bath and some came out. I feel like I can feel some in his tail (but never really felt his tail before so it might be his down belows inside it!)

He's got a couple of weeks till hibernation decision. I'll keep daily bathing and check he's still eating.
Yes, you need to be sure he's passed them all and that his gut is empty before hibernation so there isn't anything that could turn toxic and kill him. It's a tricky business - I'm glad my tort isn't a hibernating species to save me making that decision.
Do you use a fridge to keep the temps constant in our milder winters?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can't remember if I posted on this thread that I'm fostering a kitten. Well... I was so happy when Silvian finally got worn out today 🤗IMG_20220917_152209939.jpgthats my living room floor because I have a new baby.☺️ and now she looks like this. Something tells me I'll be in for it soon 😃.IMG_20220917_152815635.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sounds like our climates have swapped over Cathie! Lola is still out enjoying the sun here in his favourite sheltered spot, but the temps have dropped considerably this weekend to about 62F. so he won't have much longer outside.
LOur nights are really cool and we're getting

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
LOur nights are really cool and we're getting
Sorry somehow that posted. Our nights are getting colder and soon will be freezing. But we'll have really warm days with sunshine for quite a few days so I'm going to get Sapphire outside every single day I can.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all,
It's a bright autumnal feeling morning here.
No big plans for today, but I'm sure there's some overdue chores that need my attention - as always.
Wishing you a peaceful Sunday.