cold weather question

Spazz_Attack24

Location (City and/or State)
Clinton Iowa
How do you guys keep your tort happy and healthy when they cant go outside for the sun and to move around, do i need to tort proof a bedroom for winter time?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size tortoise do you have?
I have a insulated and heated tortoise shed and they each have a large area for winter. It's heated, has basking areas and brightly lighted.
If you can't do a shed and you have a fairly large tortoise, basically anything other than Mediterranean species, star, or pancakes, they will need a room size enclosure.
The smaller ones I listed can have smaller than a room size, but no smaller than an 4x8 larger would be better.

Reactions: Tom

Spazz_Attack24

Clinton Iowa
What size tortoise do you have?
I have a insulated and heated tortoise shed and they each have a large area for winter. It's heated, has basking areas and brightly lighted.
If you can't do a shed and you have a fairly large tortoise, basically anything other than Mediterranean species, star, or pancakes, they will need a room size enclosure.
The smaller ones I listed can have smaller than a room size, but no smaller than an 4x8 larger would be better.
I have 2 Russian tortoises that are about 5 inches big

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A couple of 4x8 foot enclosures should suffice to get them through the less than ideal weather. With some hides, logs, big rocks and that sort of thing, they should be fine. If you brumate them, their indoor time will seem even shorter.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You don’t house them in the same enclosure do you? tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

As mentioned above, two 4x8 foot enclosures will suffice for winter time, I think you’ll hopefully find this thread useful to look through, it goes over correct equipment, appropriately maintaining humidity, correct level etc, there’s lots of visual examples and a good link for the diet side of things🙂

This one is also handy to make sure you’re avoiding incorrect equipment(very easily done) and materials etc

Hope they help!🐢💚