Coloring on Plastrons

luke2431

Location (City and/or State)
pensacola, fl
My 3 year old Sulcatas show white in edge of shell and one plastron. Does anyone know what causes that? Ok I am tech challenged and can't figure out how to post photos.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 3 year old Sulcatas show white in edge of shell and one plastron. Does anyone know what causes that? Ok I am tech challenged and can't figure out how to post photos.
We need to see a pic.

Click on the "attach files" that is just to the lower left of the box you do your typing in to post.

luke2431

pensacola, fl
its difficult to see the white plastrons but they are there

Attachments

• Scoots.PNG
    Scoots.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • AU.PNG
    AU.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not seeing any white in your pics, and these are both carapace (top shell) pics. Is there something going on with their plastrons (bottom shell)?

luke2431

pensacola, fl
I'm not seeing any white in your pics, and these are both carapace (top shell) pics. Is there something going on with their plastrons (bottom shell)?
oops again I feign ignorance maybe I meant scutes? toward the back bottom of their shell and along the outer edge? You are so patient Tom --so grateful diana

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
oops again I feign ignorance maybe I meant scutes? toward the back bottom of their shell and along the outer edge? You are so patient Tom --so grateful diana
I'm not seeing any problem. Looks like hard water stains or new growth between the scutes, and it looks like the scutes at the rear might have rubbed on a rough surface, but I don't see any noteworthy "problems" in your pics. Try to get clear close ups of the area you are concerned about. I don't want to dismiss your worries prematurely, but I don't see anything in the pics.

luke2431

pensacola, fl
I'm not seeing any problem. Looks like hard water stains or new growth between the scutes, and it looks like the scutes at the rear might have rubbed on a rough surface, but I don't see any noteworthy "problems" in your pics. Try to get clear close ups of the area you are concerned about. I don't want to dismiss your worries prematurely, but I don't see anything in the pics.
Thank you --I regard you as the Torty Obiwan and am so thankful for your help! diana I will work on close ups

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your three year old "sulcata" is a Gopherus species of tortoise, not a sulcata. And since you're in Florida, I'm wondering if they're "gopher tortoises," which are protected in Florida.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your three year old "sulcata" is a Gopherus species of tortoise, not a sulcata. And since you're in Florida, I'm wondering if they're "gopher tortoises," which are protected in Florida.
HA! I totally missed that she was calling it a sulcata. Says it right in the first sentence. My mind went straight to looking for white stuff in the pics.

luke2431

pensacola, fl
HA! I totally missed that she was calling it a sulcata. Says it right in the first sentence. My mind went straight to looking for white stuff in the pics.
So they are definitely gopher torties? They just showed up as babies in my yard two years ago. In fact my border collie brought me the second one from the burrow. Sheesh!!! We saw a sully in the local pet store 60 years old and Jack inspired me to pray for a Sulcata torty and poof the next day there was a tiny baby---boy have I been messed up diana

luke2431

pensacola, fl
So they are definitely gopher torties? They just showed up as babies in my yard two years ago. In fact my border collie brought me the second one from the burrow. Sheesh!!! We saw a sully in the local pet store 60 years old and Jack inspired me to pray for a Sulcata torty and poof the next day there was a tiny baby---boy have I been messed up diana
Teach me how to spot the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are no 60 year old sulcatas in this country. They didn't hit the scene until the late 80's/early 90s. Its rare to find a sulcata that is over 30 years old.

The leg scales on a sulcata are completely different than on any Gopherus species. This is the most telling and obvious sign to me. Color can vary a lot, so that one is harder to explain in words. The presence or absence of a nuccal scute at the front of the carapace is another tell tale sign. Gopherus all have one, and sulcatas don't.

Sorry I missed this. Your first post that mentioned "sulcata"came in yesterday morning. I've read and answered a lot of posts between now and then, and when the pics came in today, I just looked at the pics and didn't re-read the first post. But now you know. Glad Yvonne was paying better attention than me!

luke2431

pensacola, fl
Teach me how to spot the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are no 60 year old sulcatas in this country. They didn't hit the scene until the late 80's/early 90s. Its rare to find a sulcata that is over 30 years old.

The leg scales on a sulcata are completely different than on any Gopherus species. This is the most telling and obvious sign to me. Color can vary a lot, so that one is harder to explain in words. The presence or absence of a nuccal scute at the front of the carapace is another tell tale sign. Gopherus all have one, and sulcatas don't.

Sorry I missed this. Your first post that mentioned "sulcata"came in yesterday morning. I've read and answered a lot of posts between now and then, and when the pics came in today, I just looked at the pics and didn't re-read the first post. But now you know. Glad Yvonne was paying better attention than me!
EGADS!!!! well I do love to learn!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! Blessings upon both of you!!!!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Those look like gopher tortoises they're highly protected in Florida and unfortunately, You cannot legally own them without a permit.