COLOSSUS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happybob59

5 Year Member
Ok so I dont have a tort yet, but, I'm planning on getting a russian tortoise in a few weeks. I just need to get everything ready and settles before it comes along. NOW I wanted to post the initial setup up of what I have. It's a 2X6 galvanized horse trough and SO far it has a few inches of aspen from front to back. As I was reading around (there's so many suggestions on soil my brain hurt!) I read using top soil with worms is also a good idea...I like this idea! SO I'll probably take alot of this aspen out and do just dirt and keep some aspen bedding for him to hide in. I have a repti glow 125W bulb that is a combined heat and UVB bulb, but I think I may need more light coverage...it seems to only cover parts of this pen....SO....Hi! My name is Cody, I've been lurking here for a few months...figured its high time get become a member!!

Attachments

• P1060018.JPG
    P1060018.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 59
  • P1060019.JPG
    P1060019.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 51
  • P1060020.JPG
    P1060020.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 57
  • P1060021.JPG
    P1060021.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 55

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Glad you decided to join us. Yes, I would add some dirt, more natural for them. Some edible plants too. You can check out the tortoisetable.org for plant ideas.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
I think the horse trough is an awesome idea! Where'd you find it and how much, if you don't mind me asking?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hi Cody.

Where in the world are ya?

Some additional lighting like a tube fluorescent would be great. Good call on ditching the aspen and going for dirt. Pack that thing with plants and you'll see a happier Russian that if it stayed empty like that. A Russian in an empty enclosure gets mighty annoying with the scratching and climbing! But who could blame them? ;)

Is this going to be a full time living spot or just a nights and cold winter home?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Welcome, nice idea with the horse trough.

But, there is one major problem.......wait for it.......there's no corner to pee in. :)

But on a more serious note. A full grown Russian will need more space. But your trough will be an ideal foundation on which to mount a 2nd story. Put a ramp with side walls up to a 2nd story. The 2nd story can even overhang the sides and one end of the trough to give maximum sq.ft. with minimum floor space. Just don't interfere with the basking light.

Good choice for your water dish. Mine really like the terra cotta; gives good traction.

Good luck.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi Cody,

A horse trough is an awesome idea for an indoor tortoise enclosure. That thing must be, what, about 100 gallons? Sweet. However, I do have some comments about where to go from here:

1) Replace the aspen bedding with coconut coir. The reason is that aspen does not retain moisture, and tortoises need a substrate that can provide a moist (but not damp), humid microclimate. You could use cypress mulch or soil (bioactive or not), but in my experience, coco coir is best.

2) Looks like you have a shallow water dish, which is great, but you also need a shallow feeding dish. This is to prevent a lot of debris from accumulating on the food, and to help keep them from eating too many non-food particles.

Looks like you have a mercury vapor bulb there. That's good, but if not, please read the following:

3) Ambient temperatures in the day should be in the 70s to low 80s. Russian tortoises also prefer a nighttime cool off down into the 60s if possible. Your Russians should have a basking spot of 95-100*F during the day that shuts off at night. You can use incandescent bulbs for heat, or mercury vapor bulbs for both heat and UV. I prefer ceramic heat emitters (CHEs), which last a long time.

4) Illumination should provide visible light and both UVA and UVB radiation to simulate sunshine. I recommend the 48-inch ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube bulb. Do not use compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), because they release too much UV and can damage your tortoise's eyes. Also, remember to take your tortoise outdoors on days that are about 68-86*F in the shade, sunny, and not windy.

Happybob59

5 Year Member
I got it at a tractor supply store here in good ole' lafayette indiana! It was only 117$. It's pretty cool, and I'm way to lazy to build one....

farber2028 said:
I think the horse trough is an awesome idea! Where'd you find it and how much, if you don't mind me asking?

I live in indiana, I plan on letting the little guy/gal out to run around the yard when I get off work but this is going to be his home until I get a house or something. I have a t5HO 4 bulb fixture left over from my fish tank that I'm thinking of adding to this set-up.

Team Gomberg said:
Hi Cody.

Where in the world are ya?

Some additional lighting like a tube fluorescent would be great. Good call on ditching the aspen and going for dirt. Pack that thing with plants and you'll see a happier Russian that if it stayed empty like that. A Russian in an empty enclosure gets mighty annoying with the scratching and climbing! But who could blame them? ;)

Is this going to be a full time living spot or just a nights and cold winter home?

Really? 6ft by 2ft is going to be to small even if I get a male? And is the corner thing a problem? I have a hard time taking people seriously if I see emoticons. :D

WillTortoise said:
Welcome, nice idea with the horse trough.

But, there is one major problem.......wait for it.......there's no corner to pee in. :)

But on a more serious note. A full grown Russian will need more space. But your trough will be an ideal foundation on which to mount a 2nd story. Put a ramp with side walls up to a 2nd story. The 2nd story can even overhang the sides and one end of the trough to give maximum sq.ft. with minimum floor space. Just don't interfere with the basking light.

Good choice for your water dish. Mine really like the terra cotta; gives good traction.

Good luck.

I replaced the bedding with dirt and kept some of the aspen for the, soon to get, hidey hole. I'm not to sure about the gallon-age on this thing but it sure is mighty big! I'm planning on getting more slate for him to walk around on and I do still need to get some place to put his food. I'm trying to buy what I need a little bit at a time and do more research while I wait!!!
The temp under the light seems to be around 90-100F or so? and everywhere else is staying about what my apartment is 70F. I have been watching the temps at night and its not seeming to go lower than 70 through out the enclosure.
So it's not a good idear to take him outside if it's in the 90 or 100s? I was hoping to let him romp around my place!
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Hi Cody,

A horse trough is an awesome idea for an indoor tortoise enclosure. That thing must be, what, about 100 gallons? Sweet. However, I do have some comments about where to go from here:

1) Replace the aspen bedding with coconut coir. The reason is that aspen does not retain moisture, and tortoises need a substrate that can provide a moist (but not damp), humid microclimate. You could use cypress mulch or soil (bioactive or not), but in my experience, coco coir is best.

2) Looks like you have a shallow water dish, which is great, but you also need a shallow feeding dish. This is to prevent a lot of debris from accumulating on the food, and to help keep them from eating too many non-food particles.

Looks like you have a mercury vapor bulb there. That's good, but if not, please read the following:

3) Ambient temperatures in the day should be in the 70s to low 80s. Russian tortoises also prefer a nighttime cool off down into the 60s if possible. Your Russians should have a basking spot of 95-100*F during the day that shuts off at night. You can use incandescent bulbs for heat, or mercury vapor bulbs for both heat and UV. I prefer ceramic heat emitters (CHEs), which last a long time.

4) Illumination should provide visible light and both UVA and UVB radiation to simulate sunshine. I recommend the 48-inch ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube bulb. Do not use compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), because they release too much UV and can damage your tortoise's eyes. Also, remember to take your tortoise outdoors on days that are about 68-86*F in the shade, sunny, and not windy.

I thought I replied to everyone...but I think I may have sent a bunch of PMs.....my bad if so!!!

abclements

5 Year Member
The corner to see thing is not a big deal lol but the 6X2 being too small is a fact. Russians like to roam and they seem to get bored if their enclosure isn't 8X4ish or larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.