Common? (only poops in water)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Just wondering if other peoples RF'S do the same thing as mine. Is it common for a RF to not want to go to the bathroom in the substrate of their enclosure? My RF only poops in his water dish, and urinates in his food dish, literary everyday. I've not found any waste in his substrate since when I first got him.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Just wondering if other peoples RF'S do the same thing as mine. Is it common for a RF to not want to go to the bathroom in the substrate of their enclosure? My RF only poops in his water dish, and urinates in his food dish, literary everyday. I've not found any waste in his substrate since when I first got him.

Yes, it's very common that they poop in their soaking water, or water bowl. Mine does too. But there are times she hasn't gone for a couple days in the water - or in the habitat. I wonder if those times, she eats it. Yes, very gross. But I've seen her do it in her soaking tub, if I don't get her out of there quick enough. She tries to put everything in her mouth - even saw her chasing after her shadow and biting at it. But I love her anyway.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
RFs have a reputation for eating poop - cat poop is particularly attractive apparently even if it isn't exactly recommended as part of a healthy diet (understatement)

Not finding it in the substrate doesn't mean that poop hasn't been done. Just keep up with the daily 20 minute soaks

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
RFs have a reputation for eating poop - cat poop is particularly attractive apparently even if it isn't exactly recommended as part of a healthy diet (understatement)

Not finding it in the substrate doesn't mean that poop hasn't been done. Just keep up with the daily 20 minute soaks
I have caught him eating it before, but he was in his outdoor enclosure when I seen that. It is pretty gross!

daniellenc

Maryland
Mine only poops when I’m soaking but I imagine as I soak less he’ll probably poop in his cage lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I know a lot of them poop when they soak but I've never heard of the urinating in his food dish? Everyday I try to tell him him "Murphy that's where you eat"! He just won't listen lol. I'm thinking of putting a second terracotta dish next to his food bowl strictly for number 1's and see if he uses it!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I know a lot of them poop when they soak but I've never heard of the urinating in his food dish? Everyday I try to tell him him "Murphy that's where you eat"! He just won't listen lol. I'm thinking of putting a second terracotta dish next to his food bowl strictly for number 1's and see if he uses it!

Joe would pee as and when needed and if that was as he stomped over his greens then that’s when it happened [emoji849]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yes, it's very common that they poop in their soaking water, or water bowl. Mine does too. But there are times she hasn't gone for a couple days in the water - or in the habitat. I wonder if those times, she eats it. Yes, very gross. But I've seen her do it in her soaking tub, if I don't get her out of there quick enough. She tries to put everything in her mouth - even saw her chasing after her shadow and biting at it. But I love her anyway.
Thats really funny.

HouKen

10 Year Member!
Houston
Every species I have poops in the water... my MEP’s, yellowfoot, redfoot, leopards, radiated... they have ponds in their enclosures with fish and strong filters