Compare your russians weight/size

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm curious as to the size and weight ratio of everyone's Russian torts so I thought a thread with the details might be a good reference to compare for everyone.
I think mine are pretty light so here goes..

Harley; 4.2"/10.5cm and 264g/9.3oz
Yoshi; 2.4"/6.5cm and 72g/2.5 oz

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
They all grow at different rates. Just off the top of my head, when I last checked, which was about a month ago:

Brains 5.5" 540grams
Tootsie is close to 3.5" and just passed 150g
Tank was just over 3" and I believe was about 120g

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Jill (female) is my smallest, she is a little under 5 inches and weighs 410g.
Mila (female) is just shy of 6 inches and weighs 510g.
Roz (male) is 5.5 inches and weighs 515g.
Timmy (female) is between 7.5 and 8 inches and weighs a bit less than 900g.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
What measurement method are you all using?

Indy
Adult male, age unknown (more than than 8 years old)
Length
- SCL (maximum): 5.25in./13.5cm
- Plastron length: 4.8in./ 12.2cm
Weight: 430 grams/15.17oz

I haven't measured Indy in awhile. I thought he was bigger. LOL! He does NOT like to be measured! :p

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I just held them up and measured their plastron but I think the head to wall method is the proper way to do it.

It's interesting seeing other weights and sizes :) but I'm a geek lol

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Boris is 4-1/8 scl & 170g.... Looking at the previous postings it looks like Boris's weight is low.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Darn it, my measurements are at home.

I know my largest female is 7" and was 1178g at her largest. She is a chunk (she lived outside with no supplemental feeds, go figure).

Thought it would be nice to post 2 ways to measure height/length for Horsfields. The common Jackson ration does not work for them due to their more domed shape.

McIntyre ratio (based on a small sampling, but could be helpful)
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1ASZg0

Or:
The Donoghue Ratio works for any species of tortoise, but you need an accurate 'straight-line carapace length' measurement to get a good reading.
Using that number (Straight-line Carapace Length in centimeters, or SCLcm), take it to the third power, then multiply that result by 0.191 to get the target minimum weight in grams. The formula looks like SCLcm^3 x 0.191 = WTgr

This may be TMI, but I am kind of a geek too :rolleyes:

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Females:

7.75-1,518g
6.33-915g
7-1,055g
6-718g

Males:
5.25-481g
5.33-533g
5.33-474g

The above ages are all unknown
unknown sex:
3.5-131g

This one was born here. It is about 1.5 years old

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
lynnedit said:
Darn it, my measurements are at home.

I know my largest female is 7" and was 1178g at her largest. She is a chunk (she lived outside with no supplemental feeds, go figure).

Thought it would be nice to post 2 ways to measure height/length for Horsfields. The common Jackson ration does not work for them due to their more domed shape.

McIntyre ratio (based on a small sampling, but could be helpful)
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1ASZg0

Or:
The Donoghue Ratio works for any species of tortoise, but you need an accurate 'straight-line carapace length' measurement to get a good reading.
Using that number (Straight-line Carapace Length in centimeters, or SCLcm), take it to the third power, then multiply that result by 0.191 to get the target minimum weight in grams. The formula looks like SCLcm^3 x 0.191 = WTgr

This may be TMI, but I am kind of a geek too :rolleyes:

Thanks Lynnedit! After doing the Donoghue Ratio, it looks like Boris should be about 30 grams heavier than what he is now.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is a minimum, of course, and like everything else with tortoises, an estimate. :rolleyes:

If he is healthy and active, you don't need to worry, of course, but you can be sure he isn't over eating, and it would be OK to feed him a bit more, or a second time in the afternoon if he is interested. It he isn't interested, no worries.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
lynnedit said:
That is a minimum, of course, and like everything else with tortoises, an estimate. :rolleyes:

If he is healthy and active, you don't need to worry, of course, but you can be sure he isn't over eating, and it would be OK to feed him a bit more, or a second time in the afternoon if he is interested. It he isn't interested, no worries.

He has a good appetite. I usually put a good size handful of a variety of greens on his dish in the morning and whatever he doesn't eat right away I just leave for him to nibble on throughout the day. He usually eats 95-100% of it before he goes to "bed", lol. He usually gets 2-3 different types of greens & lettuces daily. Never the same thing two days in a row.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He sounds fine! Another good test is if your tortoise just feels 'solid' or 'heavy' when you pick him up, rather than 'hollow'.
This is NOT scientific, lol, but it works.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
lynnedit said:
He sounds fine! Another good test is if your tortoise just feels 'solid' or 'heavy' when you pick him up, rather than 'hollow'.
This is NOT scientific, lol, but it works.

Thanks. I will just keep an eye on him. He doesn't feel hollow or light so I will weigh him occasionally and see how he's doing. I should have weighed him when I got him about 6 weeks ago but he seems to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.