concerned about his urine

karenfromscotland

hi im a newbie, just had mike for two days. hes drinking and eating if I put him to it and hes done both from the other end. im a bit concerned as his pee was really smelly and kinda green/yellow. plz advise. . im going to take him to the vet Tuesday for an initial checkup. cheers karen

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
If the tortoise is new to you and you are offering regular soaking..then the tort is likely expelling prior diet material....is the tort active (I mean, relative to being new that is)....is the tort eating some, basking and such? It takes awhile for a tort to clear food out that they have eaten....

karenfromscotland

If the tortoise is new to you and you are offering regular soaking..then the tort is likely expelling prior diet material....is the tort active (I mean, relative to being new that is)....is the tort eating some, basking and such? It takes awhile for a tort to clear food out that they have eaten....[/QU
Hi there, sorry for the delay in the reply, internet problems. yeah mike has settled in fine now, he wasn't active at first, and does sleep quite a lot but is coming out to eat and bask all by himself and although he does soak, hes not overly keen. he even fed from hand. thanks Karen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't pee often, like mammals do. In the tortoise world they hold onto their pee because they never know when they will have the chance to drink again. Since they hold it for such a long time, when it finally comes out it is VERY strong and smells quite strong. Also, what they eat has an effect on how it looks and smells.

karenfromscotland

Tortoises don't pee often, like mammals do. In the tortoise world they hold onto their pee because they never know when they will have the chance to drink again. Since they hold it for such a long time, when it finally comes out it is VERY strong and smells quite strong. Also, what they eat has an effect on how it looks and smells.
thanks or that, I was worried that he didn't pee very often so that gets rid of that worry. karen