Concerned about Russians eyes

gaulin

I am concerned about my Russians eyes A little sunkin in on the bottom.She gets regular soakes and I always water down their food. How sunken is to sunken and whens A cause for concern? I know some have half moons on the bottom of their eyes. Any suggestions ? Shes also really large and im worried about eggs maybe or A stone.Im A worrier

IMG_20160422_232248978.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I don't see anything unduly worrying in that picture.

If you're soaking for a good twenty minutes on a regular basis then your tort will be hydrated.

If eating and activity levels are normal, try to relax and enjoy - although most of us have some degree of paranoia about our charges :D

Please post pictures of the enclosure and lighting if you need further reassurance. Also tell us what you feed and how much and the 4 important temperatures: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Both my russians also look like this, but i know they're well hydrated. I used to soak them daily when i first got them, but since they've been peeing every day and their urates are very slimy and have little white in them, ive brought it down to 2-3 times a week. Their eyes still look a little sunken in and im a worrier also so im constantly checking to see if they're dehydrated but they're just fine, so far...

gaulin

cool thank you guys for the comfort. I can get some pics of the enclosure tonight.my phone didnt charge last night.They have A huge bookcase flipped on its back.A room to hide with top soil.It is coverd on that half.Main reason being I dont want our cats using that half as A litter box .The other open half has reptile carpet.Thats there eating,water bowl area etc. they also have A basking area. I am switiching their lights to the power sun today. I was using A coil UVB bulb.They are the last of my reptiles/Tortoises to get the switch.She is our #1 eater so no worries there.I feed collard greens,Orchard grass and raddicho on a regular basis.A couple times A week I take them out to A park to graze on clovers etc.I confirmed the park dont treat with chemicals.Once in awhile shredded carrot as well.Temps range from low to mid 70s on the cool end to 95ish in the warmest of the basking spots

Last edited: