Concerned Tortoise Owner!!!

B.R

Location (City and/or State)
California
Second attempt: Ill keep the intro short...

Hello I am new to this forum and the new owner of two sulcata tortoises. They are about 21 months old and I bought them 2 weeks ago. The tortoises are very energetic and have a big appetite. My concern is their shell. The top of the shell is strong and firm. The bottom of the shell is also strong and firm except the very center. It is not soft or squishy but if applied a little pressure you can feel it push in a little. I'm not sure if that's normal or not that's why i decided to join this forum and get knowledge from more experienced owner.
019F78A2-1EE6-4633-8944-C53611565273.jpeg 07F4B8DF-19EE-4665-85D9-02B83EDE74D4.jpeg 0AED2777-695D-4FCE-8297-174EB25D81EA.jpeg B10E1305-461E-4D2C-936F-F7010E931B6E.jpeg 84EE0F19-7B93-4E3A-BEB8-B787C2DD9E56.jpeg 512B1024-63A2-4F99-A20E-1370860B79DA.jpeg 560090B2-56A5-40A7-8A30-C6AF1718B741.jpeg EBA65225-8D88-4740-91C3-F894D2DB24AB.jpeg 2AAEB65C-3461-4617-BD68-73B8A923E0C4.jpeg C87BD2A1-B595-49F0-AE59-31E81B1A90B7.jpeg

Tortoise #1
EBA65225-8D88-4740-91C3-F894D2DB24AB.jpeg
Tortoise #2
2AAEB65C-3461-4617-BD68-73B8A923E0C4.jpeg
Both in the same area so idk if its normal or not...
C87BD2A1-B595-49F0-AE59-31E81B1A90B7.jpeg

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Your two new Sulcatas are beautiful. They look like happy, healthy juveniles. I see that they are moderately pyramidad . . . not to worry at this stage. It is believed that this is the result of a lack of humidity when their shells were formed. You can supply these still growing tortoises with soaking as they continue to grow. Be sure to look up Tom's care sheets for their proper diet and care. I'm sure that others will chime in with further care tips for you. I have no information about the softness of their shells. Welcome to our forums !

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Second attempt: Ill keep the intro short...

Hello I am new tothis forum amd the new owner of two sulcata tortoises. They are about 21 months old and I bought them 2 weeks ago. The tortoises are very energetic and have a big appetite. My concern is their shell. The top of the shell is strong and firm. The bottom of the shell is also strong and firm except the very center. It is not soft or squishy but if applied alittle pressure you can feel it push in alittle. Im not sure if thats normal or not thats why i decided to join this forum and get knowledge from more experienced owner.
Tortoise #1
View attachment 230198
Tortoise #2
View attachment 230199
Both in the same area so idk if its normal or not...
View attachment 230200
I believe the softness you describe is new growth, I believe it stays a tad flexible while they are growing.v My sulcata is a little springy right down that middle line as well. Someone with a little bit more experience will probably be able to give you a definite on that soon.

Last edited:

B.R

California
Your two new Sulcatas are beautiful. They look like happy, healthy juveniles. I see that they are moderately pyramidad . . . not to worry at this stage. It is believed that this is the result of a lack of humidity when their shells were formed. You can supply these still growing tortoises with soaking as they continue to grow. Be sure to look up Tom's care sheets for their proper diet and care. I'm sure that others will chime in with further care tips for you. I have no information about the softness of their shells. Welcome to our forums !

The previous owner soaked them once a week, supplied only romaine lettuce amd had them inside with a uvb light never actually got sunlight directly from the source. I soak them every day after their outside time for 15 to 30 min. I take them or every day for 2 to 4 hours depending on the weather. I installed a misting system in their habitat to ensure humidity and put fake wines on the walls to hold the humidity longer. Their substrate is a mix of eco earth and cypress mulch...
B1C39920-EF61-4356-A607-47CA770CD7DD.jpeg 158A16A7-3BDA-4FC3-AFBF-C86C0ED4EA0E.jpeg
Thank you for your input.

B.R

California
I believe the softness you describe is new growth, I believe it stays a tad flexible while they are growing.v My sulcata is a little springy right down that middle line as well. Someone with a little bit more experience will probably be able to give you a definite on that soon.
Okay thank you i thought it may be normal since both were the same in the same spot but i wasnt 100% sure and i owe it to them to provide great care. So thank you for your input...

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Okay thank you i thought it may be normal since both were the same in the same spot but i wasnt 100% sure and i owe it to them to provide great care. So thank you for your input...
Your welcome, i asked a simiar question about mine. You look like ur giving them good care!! And welcome.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum, you will get all the help you need here to enhance the proper development of those little darlings of yours.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! Please take a look at these links and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Sadly, tortoises don’t like friends, and are very territorial. It would be a good idea to separate them, or get another to form a group. The groups are risky, however, because if one doesn’t get along and you take it out, you’re left with two, and you can’t have pairs so you have to separate them all.
You have some very cute tortoises!

B.R

California
Welcome! Please take a look at these links and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Sadly, tortoises don’t like friends, and are very territorial. It would be a good idea to separate them, or get another to form a group. The groups are risky, however, because if one doesn’t get along and you take it out, you’re left with two, and you can’t have pairs so you have to separate them all.
You have some very cute tortoises!
I will defenetily look into looking for another one if not ill seperate them. I did not now this about them i bought two for the same reason so one wouldnt be lonely. Thanks for the advice.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I will defenetily look into looking for another one if not ill seperate them. I did not now this about them i bought two for the same reason so one wouldnt be lonely. Thanks for the advice.

Just don’t personify them too much; I almost fell into that trap too, lol. Sister wanted a tortoise after she saw mine, and my dad almost convinced me to get one as a friend. Turns out, tortoises don’t really have emotions. They don’t get lonely, don’t get mad, don’t get happy don’t get sad, they don’t love, they don’t hate, and they don’t bond. They do, however, feel satisfied and discontent, so it’s our job to make them healthy and satisfied.
Be very careful with making a group. If they mature and there happens to be more than one male, you have to separate them, and you also have to worry about mating. It is best to just separate them, as tortoises are “happier” on their own.
Also, it would be a good idea to cover the enclosure. It’s going to be impossible to hold in humidity in an open top.

B.R

California
Just don’t personify them too much; I almost fell into that trap too, lol. Sister wanted a tortoise after she saw mine, and my dad almost convinced me to get one as a friend. Turns out, tortoises don’t really have emotions. They don’t get lonely, don’t get mad, don’t get happy don’t get sad, they don’t love, they don’t hate, and they don’t bond. They do, however, feel satisfied and discontent, so it’s our job to make them healthy and satisfied.
Be very careful with making a group. If they mature and there happens to be more than one male, you have to separate them, and you also have to worry about mating. It is best to just separate them, as tortoises are “happier” on their own.
Also, it would be a good idea to cover the enclosure. It’s going to be impossible to hold in humidity in an open top.
ill put out more thought into that. Any information on my initial problem of the shell.