Condensation

JoshGoldberg

My enclosure was perfect. Only damp substrate all of the glass fogged up with hunidity and 90 degrees warm section. 105 under basking spot and 85 in cool section and 80 in the hide. Then my mum opened up the top to let lilzilla out to feed her... And left the top off. The cool side cooled down to the 70 degrees that my room is and all the water condensated on the substrate. Leaving it like a marsh... :| it wont un-marsh. What should i do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe if you get the temps back up it should be fine. But @Tom might be able to answer this better. He has lots of experience with high humidity and closed chamber

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic. I don't think it will be a problem. If you want it too dry up some, you could leave it open for a bit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If its too wet you need to let it air out.

Leaving the top off all day should not have had that effect. Quite the opposite.

You should not be housing grasshoppers with your tortoise. Put the grasshoppers in their own enclosure.

JoshGoldberg

If its too wet you need to let it air out.

Leaving the top off all day should not have had that effect. Quite the opposite.

You should not be housing grasshoppers with your tortoise. Put the grasshoppers in their own enclosure.
Okay. Also could the soil have marshed when the top was on and i didnt notice? Also is it bad to be that marshy?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay. Also could the soil have marshed when the top was on and i didnt notice? Also is it bad to be that marshy?

Yes it could have, and I have had marshy substrate before with no ill effect, but its not something I would advise. My tortoise was also outside in the hot dry air here for hours at a time when the substrate was wet like that.

Next time your tortoise is in its outside enclosure for a sunning session, I would open it up and run a fan in there to dry things out.

JoshGoldberg

Yes it could have, and I have had marshy substrate before with no ill effect, but its not something I would advise. My tortoise was also outside in the hot dry air here for hours at a time when the substrate was wet like that.

Next time your tortoise is in its outside enclosure for a sunning session, I would open it up and run a fan in there to dry things out.
I have trouble getting up humidity. I can keep it at a certain percent but i find it hard to get up. I dont know why as we have 46 percent humidity all around the house so it shouldnt be hard to double but i find it hard :-$

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have trouble getting up humidity. I can keep it at a certain percent but i find it hard to get up. I dont know why as we have 46 percent humidity all around the house so it shouldnt be hard to double but i find it hard :-$

Are you using a closed chamber? What are you measuring humidity with?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Exo terra combometer

As I feared. I have two of those. They are junk. Not even close. I don't have an easy solution. I used to recommend the accurate ones from the hardware store, but they changed them and now those are not even remotely accurate any more either.

JoshGoldberg

As I feared. I have two of those. They are junk. Not even close. I don't have an easy solution. I used to recommend the accurate ones from the hardware store, but they changed them and now those are not even remotely accurate any more either.
I dony know what to do then

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California