conflicting info....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzizA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, wa
I just got a russian tort a little over a week age. I took him to the vet and she said he needed more protien and suggested I feed him worms or cat food. Most of what I've read says they are herbavores and animal protien is not good for them. Any suggestions would be great.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I don't keep that species, but one thing I know is they should NOT have animal protein. The only species of tortoises that should have animal protein are the forest-type tortoises...Russians are a more grazing species. Your vet is, sadly, very wrong.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A Russian tortoise does not need worms or cat food. Your vet may have confused this dietary need with that of a box turtle. Vets are humans, they make mistakes ;)

AzizA

5 Year Member
Olympia, wa
That is what I thought. I just didn't want to not add the protien and make things worse for him without double checking.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Sadly most vets know extremely little about tortoises and turtles. No Russian needs protein. And males do not have a concave plastron. Almost got into an argument with a vet because he kept insisting my male was a female!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I am glad you checked on here! It makes me want to scream when vets give owners (who have already educated themselves) wrong info about tortoise dietary needs. But then I remind myself that vets spend about 3 minutes in vet school learning about turtles, and most of the rest of the time is spent learning about 'other' animals. I feel blessed to have found a reptile vet who actually has specifically gone out of her way to educate herself on proper care of HERBIVOROUS tortoises.

As said above (I am only reiterating) NO cat food, NO animal protein. Your RT will live a long and happy life eating a wide variety of dark leafy greens. :)

AzizA said:
That is what I thought. I just didn't want to not add the protien and make things worse for him without double checking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is that your tortoise as your avatar?

If yes, its time for a new vet. Anything else this person has to say about your tortoise is now suspect.

AzizA

5 Year Member
Olympia, wa
Yes, that is him as my avatar. I already planned on looking for another vet, they are just the only exotics get in my area. I got him off craigslist so I wanted him checked out asap.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I think Heather's right. The vet may be confusing your RT for a box turtle. Very different diets. Its good that you're looking for a new vet.

Hows the tort otherwise? Healthy? Have you chosen a name?

Welcome to the forum! :)

AzizA

5 Year Member
Olympia, wa
I named him Herkamer and he has a mild case of worms that I am treating, but other than that she said he looks great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because of its size, many people think a Russian tortoise is a box turtle. Its a common mistake, but I'd still be looking for a vet who is more familiar with tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.