Constant scratching

Teesh

My little fella is scartchingn his eye pretty often, for now , he has natural sunlight so no bulbs but soon I'll have to put them up, he always scratches his eyes and I wanted to know what this meant

Teesh

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm wondering out loud here if your humidity is high enough? A low humidity coupled with lights on all day could possibly create dry eyes? Are you soaking daily and misting? Have a good humid hide for him?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Can it be the heat? What are your temperatures?

Teesh

I'm wondering out loud here if your humidity is high enough? A low humidity coupled with lights on all day could possibly create dry eyes? Are you soaking daily and misting? Have a good humid hide for him?
I do have about figure percent

Teesh

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Teesh, Is he scratching both eyes, or just one eye all the time? If so, I am thinking it to be an irritation that can be flushed out and soothed with ointment. Maybe @Yvonne G would has some ideas on what to use. Also, if it is one eye, is it reddish or swollen compared to the other eye? Maybe you could post a close up picture of the eye that he is scratching.

Teesh

Hi Teesh, Is he scratching both eyes, or just one eye all the time? If so, I am thinking it to be an irritation that can be flushed out and soothed with ointment. Maybe @Yvonne G would has some ideas on what to use. Also, if it is one eye, is it reddish or swollen compared to the other eye? Maybe you could post a close up picture of the eye that he is scratching.
It's both eyes and no there not swollen

Teesh

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
In the picture you posted in your 2nd post his eye looks okay. How often is he scratching? Does he stop every few steps and scratch? Does he sit and scratch and scratch...? Or is it a random scratch throughout the day? I am thinking there is something in his environment that is irritating his eye or maybe the head area that causes him to scratch.

Teesh

In the picture you posted in your 2nd post his eye looks okay. How often is he scratching? Does he stop every few steps and scratch? Does he sit and scratch and scratch...? Or is it a random scratch throughout the day? I am thinking there is something in his environment that is irritating his eye or maybe the head area that causes him to scratch.
He would walk every two hours or so and scratch one eye and then maybe like a minute later the other

Teesh

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Teesh, Since the eyes are not red, puffy, or showing signs of irritation, I am guessing this is pretty normal. I see my sulcata "wipe" his face and eyes several times a day. Again I am guessing, but there might be something in the enclosure that is causing a momentary irritation. It could be dryness (low humidity), the substrate getting into the eye, or the light causing a little irritation. You may need to begin to eliminate possibilities, especially if this happens more and more frequently. You might want to send Yvonne G a message and ask for her help. She has a lot more experience than I do.