Tortoise scratching eye/ Tortoise on it's side

StarShell

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello! My tortoise has been scratching his eye and I see him do it a lot but his eyelids don't look swollen and there doesn't seem to be anything in his eye. He/She has also dug up some substrate in the corner of the enclosure near the slate that I put under his basking are but at first it wasn't so bad but I put the substrate back and he dug it back up except deeper and at night when the basking/uvb lights go off he goes over to the corner and sleeps over there!? Maybe that's whats causing the eye scratching but if I put the substrate back then he'll dig it back up, but when he does go in the corner he's on his side and has a hard time getting back up and one time he was "standing up" and because of the gap between the slate in the wall it allowed him to fall back therefore making him flip over it really scared me and I almost wanted to put it back but I know he'll dig it deeper. Sorry for ranting but is it okay to leave it like this and what is causing the eye scratching?
Thank you!?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Type of tortoise and pictures would help us to help you.
We need as much info as possible. Temps humidity type of lighting you are using type and size of enclosure age of tort how long you had him and any info on his care before you.

StarShell

Southern California
I recently got him/her two weeks ago and he is the same type of tortoise I've had before, Indian star Tortoise. The basking temp is currently 95 degrees, the cooler end of the enclosure is 80 degrees, the enclosure 4ft x 3ft and I mist it daily and the humidity is 78% ( a little low because I did it early in the morning) . On the device that I'm currently on I can't provide pictures(or rather I don't how to because I recently got it). Hopefully this is enough info if not I'll see what else I can do

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I recently got him/her two weeks ago and he is the same type of tortoise I've had before, Indian star Tortoise. The basking temp is currently 95 degrees, the cooler end of the enclosure is 80 degrees, the enclosure 4ft x 3ft and I mist it daily and the humidity is 78% ( a little low because I did it early in the morning) . On the device that I'm currently on I can't provide pictures(or rather I don't how to because I recently got it). Hopefully this is enough info if not I'll see what else I can do
Then can you describe the type of lights that you are using?
The coiled or compact CFL screw in UVB lights are very often the cause of eye issues.

StarShell

Southern California
I have a strip uvb although I don't know what kind, I am using a new/old one the I had for my other tortoise and it is not that old but I did have to get a new uvb tube

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a strip uvb although I don't know what kind, I am using a new/old one the I had for my other tortoise and it is not that old but I did have to get a new uvb tube
What substrate are you using and is it being kept damp? Surface spraying does not usually keep the substrate damp enough.

You should have a humid hide. Move the little one into the humid hide at night an hour or two after the lights go out and when the room is dark. Fill in the hole and pack down the substrate there. Place a flat rock or peice of sandstone in that corner to stop the digging there. A household tile or a broken pice of one can work there too.

StarShell

Southern California
I changed it to Reptibark and it is a bit damp, I have a hide log but two days in a row Yuno has flipped over from trying to climb over it and falling off it so I'm a bit nervous and I know I shouldn't but I'm considering taking it out because I also have a space in the side that is dark and can be turned into a humid hide, right?