Construction of soaking pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I am Extending my tortoise enclosure using a boulder "corridor". There is a large patch of grass that i would love to allow my tortoise to graze without having to pick her up and put her there! At 60 lbs it's getting harder every day. I was considering a concrete soaking pond with a drain. How can I get a hole in the ground to stay concave when I pour cement in??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The cement is thick enough that you just pat it into place with your hand and it stays the shape of the form/bowl/earth.

I did this for my box turtles about 15 years ago. This year it is finally breaking down. It won't hold water anymore and is cracking off in chunks. But 15 years is a pretty good life for a pond, no?

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
I did the same last year. Dug a bowl and made the concrete thick and just pressed it into place. 1 year old now and not a single crack even after winter unprotected

acrantophis

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
The cement is thick enough that you just pat it into place with your hand and it stays the shape of the form/bowl/earth.

I did this for my box turtles about 15 years ago. This year it is finally breaking down. It won't hold water anymore and is cracking off in chunks. But 15 years is a pretty good life for a pond, no?

Great advice! Thanks I figured you would have the answer Yvonne! Been there done that! Your place sounds awesome.

kevantheman35 said:
I did the same last year. Dug a bowl and made the concrete thick and just pressed it into place. 1 year old now and not a single crack even after winter unprotected

Nice. I will put up some pics when I get it done.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
acrantophis said:
Great advice! Thanks I figured you would have the answer Yvonne! Been there done that! Your place sounds awesome.

Her place is awesome between all the neat cactus, the great tortoises and her pond (which I only saw the old one, the new one looks even more wonderful).

Status
Not open for further replies.