Converting Large Garden Box For Outside??

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
We have 5 large garden boxes in our yard, but this year we didn’t use them all. The one left is high, and has cement blocks/ sidewalk in front, a cement block on one side, and rocks on the other. It’s bigger than it looks in the pics. If I took 1/2 the soil out would that work for my Russian Myrtel to be out in some days with a screen on top in case cats come by? I do have him roaming the yard but only if I’m out with him. Some guy in our area had his tortoise stolen so that’s a concern too. I’d read the Russians are avid diggers, so not sure if this is a great idea? I’m thinking if he tunneles out under the cement sidewalk , or that’s unlikely? IMG_0276.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He won't really dig out but they can climb like a monkey. Putting a secure top on it made from a wood 2x2's and chicken wire or hardware cloth fencing attached to it would make it safe from and cats or other things. Hinges and a lock would make it human safe.
Most likely your friends tortoise got out or taken from a predator more than stolen. Stolen is possible but not as likely as getting out.
Btw, an adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
He won't really dig out but they can climb like a monkey. Putting a secure top on it made from a wood 2x2's and chicken wire or hardware cloth fencing attached to it would make it safe from and cats or other things. Hinges and a lock would make it human safe.
Most likely your friends tortoise got out or taken from a predator more than stolen. Stolen is possible but not as likely as getting out.
Thanks very much, I will buy some 2x2’s and chicken wire tomorrow

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
He bought chicken wire but the holes are huge and it seems really flimsy, I think if a cat jumped on the lid it would drop it or it could reach through to hurt the tortoise. He said he’d double or triple it but it looked really jumbled so I’m not sure if there’s different sizes/weights of chicken wire?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He bought chicken wire but the holes are huge and it seems really flimsy, I think if a cat jumped on the lid it would drop it or it could reach through to hurt the tortoise. He said he’d double or triple it but it looked really jumbled so I’m not sure if there’s different sizes/weights of chicken wire?
I'm not sure either. I think there is but don't really know.
However, if you attached one layer and then put the second layer off set from the first layer, that would make the holes smaller and I think it would hold.
Or you can take it back and get the hardware cloth (see pic) and that I know does come in different strengths and square sizes
Screenshot_20240809-173703.png

COmtnLady

Colorado
Welcome to The Tortoise Forum!

Sometimes "Hardware Cloth" is called "Rabbit Wire". Its half-inch (or smaller) squares and a much heavier gauge than chicken wire. It will keep rats away from attacking your tortoise, and cat paws out, too.

When was the last time fertilizer was used in that enclosure? Depending on what was used, it could be hazardous for your tortoise. Its a lot of work, but probably worth the effort to remove all the "dirt" and such that is currently in there, wash the enclosure out to get rid of as much residue as is possible, let it air dry in the sun for a few days, and replace with Orchid/fir bark (not pine or cedar - both of which are bad for tortoises). Use fine-grade on top, chunkier for lower level, maybe even coco coir as a base though its more often used as a base for indoor enclosures.
Don't use soil of any kind. Potting soil has who knows what in it, including Vermiculite and sand, that can collect in intestinal tract and cause serious health damage, even death. Watch out for small gravel, too, as it can also be swallowed and cause problems.

Sometimes its a bit overwhelming with so much info coming at you all at once, but the keepers here have spent so much effort to discover what works best to help these critters thrive.

Ask a bazillion questions. Especially, ask here what anyone thinks of some thing you are considering buying. We've all bought stuff that is now sitting on shelves or has been already disposed of, that were expensive mistakes and detrimental to captive tortoises. We will do our best to steer you clear of what we have found to be problems and not worth the investment.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The big question is the sun location does it get sun full or partial? They like to bask but also need shade. Add in low rocks. Over time this may be too small but it is a good start. Water dish can be a plastic plant based and the good dish a terracotta plant based as that helps keep the beak trim.