Cool Side Temp Help!!

KennyP

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Been trolling around for a couple weeks getting ideas and info for our new baby Sulcata’s (Sam), new enclosure. This is my first post as I need some help. My first post was going to be my build to help others with design ideas, but I need to fix a heating issue first. Just finished this build last night, 3 full days of working in garage!

I have a 100W CHE in the middle, 60W UVB basking bulb on right, some grow lights in between the two, and an 18” fluorescent UVB tube on far left to add some UV to other side without the heat. My issue is I put the upper floor (mezzanine) on the cool side figuring he/she could get some shade on cool side. My CHE is connected to a thermostat that was set at 80 (I just bumped it to 85), but it’s never getting that high, maybe gets to 77 or less. When I measure temp at the hide it’s low 70s, and that’s where he’s sleeping. I’m sure this is due to the mezzanine blocking radiant heat. How can I get it warmer under mezzanine without super heating the whole enclosure, or totally changing and deconstructing the layout/electrical??? I did just order a 150W CHE. The enclosure is 5’ x 2’ by 22” high

Thoughts/Ideas/Contemplations:

1) 150W CHE will fix issue? (I hope this is solution)
2) Add another CHE over left side (however this will make mezzanine area really hot rendering unusable
3) Remove Mezzanine (will unblock CHE, however he/she will need extra square footage when he/she gets bigger, so need a more perm solution later)...OR is 10 sqft enough space for him/her until moving outside perm
4) Remount lighting and electrical; move basking to mezzanine side (mezz will get hot again), move UVB tube to right or middle, leave CHE in middle (all together a pain, but doable

***Unrelated Question***
The basking bulb is 13” from basking spot, and fluorescent tube is 18” from ground. Will this suffice for UV utilization? He’s getting outside a few/couple times a week, but I’m a firefighter and gone a lot so my wife may or may not always get him outside (she’s preggo and we have a 3.5 year old boy, soooo she’s busy)

Build thread to come

Here are pics to show issue:
open

open

open

open

open

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

Your pics didn't come through, but from what you wrote it sounds like a RHP on its own thermostat over on that cool side might solve the problem without overheating the whole thing. I get them here: http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels and I've had good success with these thermostats: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

About your second questions: Only your thermometer can answer the question about your basking bulb, and only your UV meter can answer your question about proximity to the UV bulb. If your baby is getting outside for an hour a couple times a week or more, then you won't need to worry about UV.

KennyP

San Diego, CA
Hi Tom! Just the person I was hoping to hear from!! Thanks for quick reply,my name is Kenny btw.

I just retried pics and looks like they are working now. Can you please take a look again and see if we can figure another solution other than RHP, I’ve already dropped way more coin than wife would like. Also the height of those RHPs will crowd the space under the mezz...

Thanks again!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, nice looking enclosure.

My initial thoughts are for you to just remove the mezzanine. But that too has me a little confused, maybe I looked too quickly, but how does your Sully get to the mezzanine?

The plantings all look good, but if your Sully is like most, he will quickly bulldoze them over and eat them. Make sure the dirt in those plant containers is both fertilizer and pesticide free.

Just remember, your Sully will quickly outgrow your enclosure :). You better start planning the next one!

Keep on posting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A pic is worth a thousand words…

In your fully closed chamber, heating will be easy. Get the 150 watt CHE and put the thermostat's probe over there under the mezzanine level where its too cool. This will keep the heat on until the coolest portion of the enclosure is warm enough.

KennyP

San Diego, CA
Maro,

I have not put a ramp to the mezzanine yet, no rush as he has plenty of space for now. I’m not worried about bulldozing and eating of plants, they are there to look nice, but mostly for Sam to do as he pleases. I bought them from Home Depot, removed as much soil from roots to get likely fertilized soil off and remove perlite...then re-potted with organic fertilizer free soil. Is this good enough?

I read that about 13 sqft should suffice until they can go outside permanently. I live in San Diego, so my plan was to move Sam outside once he/she outgrows this enclosure. I have 13 sqft once I put in ramp. Thoughts?

KennyP

San Diego, CA
Tom,

Thank you! That’s what I was hoping to hear! Since he just moved in last night I have not had a chance to see how temps act. This morning I could tell CHE was not keeping that area warm enough throughout night. Was about 72-73 when I woke up. Now that other lights are on, its 85 no prob. Here is where thermostat sensor is.
8D7783E1-42D7-43B9-A40A-6DEE471009AF.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Maro,

I have not put a ramp to the mezzanine yet, no rush as he has plenty of space for now. I’m not worried about bulldozing and eating of plants, they are there to look nice, but mostly for Sam to do as he pleases. I bought them from Home Depot, removed as much soil from roots to get likely fertilized soil off and remove perlite...then re-potted with organic fertilizer free soil. Is this good enough?

I read that about 13 sqft should suffice until they can go outside permanently. I live in San Diego, so my plan was to move Sam outside once he/she outgrows this enclosure. I have 13 sqft once I put in ramp. Thoughts?

Looks good, and yes, I just commented on your other post regarding the ramp not being there (yet).

You did a great job at the whole enclosure...and I’m envious of your Asante Diego weather..good luck with your Sully. We really enjoy ours!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
The plants you get from Home Depot should not be given to your tort for at least 6 months to a year. If they used pesticides or any other chemicals on them, it stays in the plant for up to one year from what I have read on here..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
The plants you get from Home Depot should not be given to your tort for at least 6 months to a year. If they used pesticides or any other chemicals on them, it stays in the plant for up to one year from what I have read on here..

Yep....who knows what was used, how much...or the half life of any application....

Good old tufts of untreated grass “buckles”, work the same, provide munches, and are safe as long as you know the source.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Wait...is that if they eat them or purely leaching from soil contact?

I would say both. Your Sully will roam around, burrow, dig, nibble on greens, plants, tincluding your new garden center plants. Best to err on removing them.

Hope this all helps!

Our Sully says good luck!

B0AE6B0B-3198-46B3-B362-CFFB603FA052.jpeg