Could my Tortoise be lost after coming out of his borrow?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I work the Central Mohave Desert from Palmdale to Victorville and all of the area north from Boron to east of Barstow to Hector and north all the way up the 15 past Baker close to the CA/NV line. It takes me a month to cover the area so I miss a lot, but I’m always at least passing through the area along the 395 almost daily to get to the other places. I’m mostly on dirt roads except when I need to make some time to the farthest places and then I’m on the I58, I395, I15 and the I40.

Everyone thinks I’m a little weird because my favorite area is out around Newberry Springs along the I40 and I would move there in a heartbeat except that my wife would probably leave me. :(

cmojave_map.jpg

All of my favs in this gorgeous desert....Newberry Springs is good (not as nice as closer to the Preserve :p or the area around marker 7 through 19 off of Ft Irwin Road--right around where that Bison lives, have you seen him?)....All perfect...I actually can not think of any parts you mention that are not beautiful in each of their own merits....

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Yes, I have seen the Bison, but it’s been a very long time. I used to work around the Ft Irwin area many years ago, but they separated that area and now someone from northern Mohave took over.

I love the desert this time of year especially with all the colors after the rains. One of the reasons I like New Berry Springs is because not only do I like the desert, but I also love trains and I would love to be able to watch them from my porch if I had one. LOL Anyway I would probably never move there because they get some horrendous dust storms and burglary is very high.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, I have seen the Bison, but it’s been a very long time. I used to work around the Ft Irwin area many years ago, but they separated that area and now someone from northern Mohave took over.

I love the desert this time of year especially with all the colors after the rains. One of the reasons I like New Berry Springs is because not only do I like the desert, but I also love trains and I would love to be able to watch them from my porch if I had one. LOL Anyway I would probably never move there because they get some horrendous dust storms and burglary is very high.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-05-24/news/mn-39321_1_sand-dunes

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
So MrT hasn’t been going into his burrow the past 3 or 5 nights and then tonight we had a really heavy hail and rain storm. The hail was huge and I suddenly thought about MrT. I looked out the window and sure enough he was out and being pounded by hail. I had to put on a hard hat to run out and get him to put him inside the entrance to his borrow, but he didn’t seem to want to go in.

I ran inside the house before getting soaked and he was still there setting in the entrance. If he doesn’t go inside, then I may have to dig it up to see what’s going on inside.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So MrT hasn’t been going into his burrow the past 3 or 5 nights and then tonight we had a really heavy hail and rain storm. The hail was huge and I suddenly thought about MrT. I looked out the window and sure enough he was out and being pounded by hail. I had to put on a hard hat to run out and get him to put him inside the entrance to his borrow, but he didn’t seem to want to go in.

I ran inside the house before getting soaked and he was still there setting in the entrance. If he doesn’t go inside, then I may have to dig it up to see what’s going on inside.

I would get him and bring him inside....you are correct, there is something going on in the hole....be careful for those lovely rattlesnakes...with the weather warming but not remaining warm..they can be in odd places....there also may be gophers/squirrels that have invaded the space....if the tort is willing to remain in the hail then something is absolutely awry....

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I’ll have to rig up a camera to send down and look around. I shined a flashlight down the hole a few days ago and it was pretty dry with lots of spiders. I can’t see all the way down, but I was wondering if I should spray some water in there when he’s out for the day so it’s not so dusty.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I use a child's plastic rake to clean out my tort's burrows, works great, you might try to get one and see if it works for your tort's burrows. That said, one of my dt's has been sleeping outside of it's burrow at night for the last few weeks. I pick him up and stick him in his burrow, but sometimes he just saunters right back out to his favorite corner of the enclosure to sleep. I do believe he's just enjoying the perfect weather. Nothing is in his burrow, it's not overly saturated, no critters or smelly things. I don't blame him, I've been enjoying the doors and windows open and fresh air in the house at night. Healthy, happy and yet nutty tort. Not surprised here, I always seem to have pets and family that are a bit nutty.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I wouldn’t worry about him being out all night except that he picks the most uncomfortable places to nap.
MrT%20Naps%20in%20the%20wost%20places_1_zpszfe05t3x.jpg

His borrow about 10 ft. to the back and the tunnel is about 6 ft long.
DSCN1394_zps9d2cea79.jpg

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Well it looks like he is actually going in for the night and I didn’t have to move him. He ate pretty good today and walked to his entrance completely on his own. :)
Maybe he finally realizes that dirt is better than rocks for sleeping. LOL

MrT%20going%20in_1_zpsol54zlnv.jpg

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I think yours and mine maybe related. Yep, selects rocks even at slight angles to sleep. I really think the rocks retain the heat of the day longer and they are cozy with the temp of those rocks (which won't be the case when the summer temps hit). Just checked on him and he's at least near the entrance of his burrow, but I suspect enjoying the last bit of dapple sun for the evening, mine may choose to use the burrow tonight, time will tell.

Earlier today, he was king on his Hibiscus Jungle.