Cracked beak?

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, Florida
Hey all,

I woke up this morning to see that my tortoise's beak appears cracked on one side. I was wondering if there was anything I should do about it because this has never occurred before.

He doesn't seem like he's in any pain...but after examining him for a bit I noticed how dry he's been looking lately, so I'm going to give him a long soaking and some shell treatment too. I soak him twice a week and try to give him the best care, but I guess I've been slacking lately. I feel like a bad mom. :(

He is 13 years old and a Russian tortoise.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4076.JPG
    IMG_4076.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 122

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It looks like it is cracking right where it should be. The rest of his break needs trimmed or filed down to match. Do some searches for break trimming.

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Naples, Florida
Update: I gave him a long soaking and some moisturizing treatment for tortoises on his shell and legs.

Attachments

• IMG_4089.JPG
    IMG_4089.JPG
    943 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4090.JPG
    IMG_4090.JPG
    937.5 KB · Views: 56

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Naples, Florida
It looks like it is cracking right where it should be. The rest of his break needs trimmed or filed down to match. Do some searches for break trimming.

Is that one part going to fall off? Do you think he is in pain right now?
I'm looking into beak trimming right now. It seems like it's going to be stressful for him, but if that's what it takes I'll see what I can do (or find a vet that can possibly do it for me).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
His beak is too long.
When it overgrows like that more pressure is put on the sides of the mouth and cracks or breaks can occur.
You need to trim the beak to stop this getting worse or even the whole beak splitting off.
Just trim a little at a time using nail cutters or a dremmel tool, or , if you're not happy doing it yourself, a visit to a recognized herp vet is an option.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just a bit of flaking. Nothing to worry about. But you have allowed the beak to grow too long. This is one reason why it flakes like that. Tortoises in the wild bite off their food from stems, etc. and this keeps the beak worn down naturally. They often scrape their beak on rocks to help with it too.

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Naples, Florida
His beak is too long.
When it overgrows like that more pressure is put on the sides of the mouth and cracks or breaks can occur.
You need to trim the beak to stop this getting worse or even the whole beak splitting off.
Just trim a little at a time using nail cutters or a dremmel tool, or , if you're not happy doing it yourself, a visit to a recognized herp vet is an option.

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to go to a vet ASAP to do this for me. I never realized this was an issue; I always thought that the cuttlebones that I gave him would be enough to keep his beak length maintained. Now that I know, however, I will definitely stay on top of this.

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Naples, Florida
That's just a bit of flaking. Nothing to worry about. But you have allowed the beak to grow too long. This is one reason why it flakes like that. Tortoises in the wild bite off their food from stems, etc. and this keeps the beak worn down naturally. They often scrape their beak on rocks to help with it too.

Thank you. I hope to get this fixed within the next couple of days.

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Naples, Florida
Update - We took him to the vet!
Vet said Stephano has gained more than a pound since we last visited (which I believe was two-ish years ago), and the crack on his beak was just a flake that he had to remove. The rest of his beak apparently is just a bit abnormally shaped due to the fact that he must've eaten something hard, but the vet did not think that shaving would be necessary.
He trimmed my tortoise's nails as well, which was nice. I'll add a picture to see if you all think he looks okay!

IMG_4104.JPG

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Update - We took him to the vet!
Vet said Stephano has gained more than a pound since we last visited (which I believe was two-ish years ago), and the crack on his beak was just a flake that he had to remove. The rest of his beak apparently is just a bit abnormally shaped due to the fact that he must've eaten something hard, but the vet did not think that shaving would be necessary.
He trimmed my tortoise's nails as well, which was nice. I'll add a picture to see if you all think he looks okay!
Good news, but I still think the beak needs trimming