Cracked carapace

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Education is key . These kids can be thought a lesson by yard work . If my kid did this to someone I would get me a chair and watch them all summer cleaning and mowing planting or whatever you needed completed . Hard lesson to learn but they would learn it .

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
This is infuriating, how the heck were these kids raised that they thought it was fun to throw rocks at an animal? That grandma sounded completely useless probably just like the parents, sounded like she only reacted when you told her about the huge fine.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
im so sorry this happened to your tortoise :( how is Penelope doing?
Thank you for caring. She's actually acting rather oblivious to all of my (and your) concerns. You know how the desert tortoises are. She's happily grazing and running for hibiscus and special treats :) but I had to hide her again tonight because I sighted opossum. Busy mom here. Vet Appt is this Fri morning. I can't wait to see Dr. Greek's river turtle. Maybe I'll take my crested gekko, too. I'll keep you posted.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Education is key . These kids can be thought a lesson by yard work . If my kid did this to someone I would get me a chair and watch them all summer cleaning and mowing planting or whatever you needed completed . Hard lesson to learn but they would learn it .
I know, right? I think the grandma next door will probably end up just taking a cell phone or video games away for few days or something like that. There aren't too many leverage for adults with kids now days. I really do want to reform these kids. Maybe for Halloween I'll give them educational treats.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Firstly, I feel very sorry for you about all of this.
Secondly, one of my erosas has two cracks in her shell, one which is almost identical to this but on the corner of her shell-I guess they were probably rocks or something as she would have probably been WC originally-, but so far I haven't had any problems with either one, so just keep an eye on it and it should be OK. Does she live with any other tortoises?

Thank you for reassuring. Someone told me to use resin to fill the crack but I'll ask VET first about that. She's it - all alone but she hangs out with us whenever we're out. We can't breed DT so the original person who found the litter in his backyard only gave us one of them. I call her she but she may very well be he when she's no longer juvenile in which case he'll be renamed (I think) Perseus Adonis.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I can't believe someone would do that! (Hmm, actually yeah, some people are just awful) I agree with the statement said above, desert tortoise ARE endangered and if they do so again, you can call the police and fine them... that will hopefully teach them the lesson.
I'm glad this isn't affecting her in any way :(

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Okay, the update -- it appears that she nearly missed her demise; there is a tiny crack so the blood came out when Doctor pressed on the wound. Dr.Andrea said Penelope's lungs were right beneath the wound but it was not severe enough she said it'll heal itself. She gave me a bottle of nolvasan solution to clean with and a bottle of silvadene cream to coat the affected area. Checking back in 3 wks. I got so scared when I thought about it I cried on the way home. Today, the boys came to apologize to Penelope so I gave the boy responsible for the wound all the rocks they threw into our yard, it was so heavy he could hardly walk with them. The largest thing was actually a 3/4 of a brick tile. I told them about how she's part of our family and gave some info about DTs and showed them how she was affected. Then I let them feed her cactus pods after they apologized to her. They were rotten to do what they did but I'll give them a benefit of doubt. I feel better now. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: