Cracked Plastron? Help!

rei2rei

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Last night I noticed this on my little one's plastron. Does this look ok? It looks like there is a crack going down the middle. I wasn't sure if this was normal or maybe a part of the growing process. What are everyone's thoughts?

I've just never noticed this before and immediately started to panic. He's eating and acting normal. His temps range from 80-90 degrees with humidity 65-80% depending on the side of his enclosure.

Attachments

• FullSizeR(1).jpg
    FullSizeR(1).jpg
    455 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What species is he? How old/big? Do you have a basking temp of 95-100?
It looks fine to me. I'm not sure why some look cracked like that and others don't.

rei2rei

USA
What species is he? How old/big? Do you have a basking temp of 95-100?
It looks fine to me. I'm not sure why some look cracked like that and others don't.

He's a radiated and still an tiny thing. He only weighs 51g. Right now I use a Power Sun for his basking area.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Some will disagree with me on this, but a basking lamp, for baby radiated tortoises, is not necessary, is desiccating to the carapace and can be dangerous in the event the tortoise becomes inverted under the lamp. If you have day-time temps in the enclosure of 90 degrees or so, a good UV source (like a reptisun 10.0 or similar) and the tortoise can get out of the light when it wants to (a hide), that works fine. I let the temp in my enclosure drop to around 70 at night as well. I start using a basking lamp, which is only on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, once they are 8" long or so.