Craft Floral

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
So I had to go to the craft store today, and I was looking at all the flowers for fun, and found this really nice, thick, heavy duty aquatic looking grass, but it has wire in it, and I figured if I 'planted' it in my painted turtle tank, it would rust :( But if I covered that in some sort of fish safe glue or sealer, could that work out? I liked the way it looked! :D

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So I had to go to the craft store today, and I was looking at all the flowers for fun, and found this really nice, thick, heavy duty aquatic looking grass, but it has wire in it, and I figured if I 'planted' it in my painted turtle tank, it would rust :( But if I covered that in some sort of fish safe glue or sealer, could that work out? I liked the way it looked! :D
I'm having a hard time picturing it...you mean like vase with metal details?

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
upload_2014-10-1_18-52-37.jpeg
images
images
Except the grass I saw was 'movable' and had wire in the stems. What I was thinking of doing was cutting into sections and create a 'planted' area f their tank that they can't kill and eat hehehe :rolleyes:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Ah! I shouldn't read when I'm hungry. I read GLASS. PMSL!

You could try dipping the stem into aquarium-grade silicone.

May
:D:p Mmm, that glass is crunchy...
Okay, I'll have to look it up and see if I can find some... I just don't want it to poison the water :(

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I think if you dipped it in the aquarium grade silicone it wouldn't matter if there was BPA in the plastic because the water would just be touching the silicone? You could also get some plants made for aquariums at good prices from amazon.com, they have some really pretty ones. :)

turtlemanfla88

I would make a test tank 5 or 10gal tank set it up with the plants you want. I would wash them or soak them in water first then put them in your test tank and put in some feeder fish or gold fish. Fish are more sensitive. just a suggestion.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I would make a test tank 5 or 10gal tank set it up with the plants you want. I would wash them or soak them in water first then put them in your test tank and put in some feeder fish or gold fish. Fish are more sensitive. just a suggestion.
Good idea, I don;t want to leech anything into the water :confused:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think if you dipped it in the aquarium grade silicone it wouldn't matter if there was BPA in the plastic because the water would just be touching the silicone? You could also get some plants made for aquariums at good prices from amazon.com, they have some really pretty ones. :)
I looked for silicone last night, and I could only find little test tube size for like, sealing glass (mmm) together? I'll have to look to see if I can't find some for a great deal... I'm all about being a do-it-yourselfer if I can make it better (IMHO.) than the stores :p:rolleyes:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Tbh, I'd be more worried about the BPA, in the plastic.

May
Just curious, what are aquarium plants made out of? This stuff is safe AND waterproof, it's like the double whammy of plastics??

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I think all silicone is silicone no matter what brand you get. I think you can just get a cheap caulk gun from lowes and get silicone caulk and use that which would be cheaper than a overpriced little tube. :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Just curious, what are aquarium plants made out of? This stuff is safe AND waterproof, it's like the double whammy of plastics??
I think they're all plastic, but I only have live plants. I don't like plastic.

May

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:p Live plants would be AMAZING, but I have to grow all mine for eating in separate tank... greedy little pigs! :rolleyes: (they ate the decorative ones too...)
Then that's some good plastic :cool:!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
:p Live plants would be AMAZING, but I have to grow all mine for eating in separate tank... greedy little pigs! :rolleyes: (they ate the decorative ones too...)
Then that's some good plastic :cool:!

Wow, normally after awhile I would assume they would realize the plastic ones don't taste good.... Or when you say decorative do you mean you just have some other live plants in there but aren't necessarily mean't to be eaten? :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D:D:D Just live plants I didn't want them to eat. Nice plants you would see inside a well planted fish tank, just in they go, yumyumyum! I haven't seen them try to eat the plastic ones... yet.