Crickets and turtle bone questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rylo922

5 Year Member
I was at Petco, and one of the workers there told me that they feed their Russians crickets. Does anyone else do this? Is it ok for them to eat crickets?

Also, do I need to have a turtle bone for my Russian?

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Eating a cricket or two would not harm a tortoise, but I doubt they'd ever try to eat one.

A whole bunch of crickets live in my torts' pens, but I've never seen a tort eat one. I wish they would eat some, the crickets are getting out of hand.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
By turtle bone, you mean cuttle bone, then yes, it is a good thing to have in their enclosure. Cricket question I can't answer.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
one if my Russians LOVES worms if any kind and will definitely eat a cricket if it's big enough and i hold it for him. he might be able to catch one, but I've never let one lose to find out haha. he's a sucked for butterworms :p and my finger as well haha

Attachments

• IMG_20121005_181922_492.jpg
    IMG_20121005_181922_492.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 26

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
@stinax182, I'd like to respectfully encourage you to be careful with feeding your tortoise any kind of animal protein. Russian tortoises' kidneys are not set up to digest protein, and it can actually cause renal failure to give them high-protein foods like worms or crickets.
It won't kill a tort to accidentally eat a worm that is stuck to a leaf while grazing, but out-right giving an RT a worm (or several) will cause all kinds of problems...

stinax182 said:
one if my Russians LOVES worms if any kind and will definitely eat a cricket if it's big enough and i hold it for him. he might be able to catch one, but I've never let one lose to find out haha. he's a sucked for butterworms :p and my finger as well haha

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Russians are herbivores who have no need for animal protein in any form. As was already mentioned it can be very damaging to give them any significant amount of it. This appears to be yet another example of misinformed pet store employees.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I was told crickets can carry parasites. Has anyone else heard that?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i never mentioned how often he gets them. i have a chameleon so i always have worms and crickets around, but I've only fed this tortoise literally 6 worms this year haha. granted, i picked out the fattest ones, but I'm very confident that it didn't affect his digestion system at all. i only say this because my other tortoises won't even l look at them so i doubt this users will :p

Status
Not open for further replies.