Critique my enclosure!

Anna!

5 Year Member
I got a 3mo old sulcata a few weeks ago and I think I have her enclosure figured out (thanks to the many many helpful suggestions in this site!). She is in a 31 gal tub but I expect to move to a bigger one in the next few months as she grows. I have a coconut fiber substrate that I keep fairly moist. I use a 70 watt MVB and a 60 watt CHE. My temps are 100ish under the MVB, 95ish under the CHE and 78ish in the hide in the corner. I leave the CHE on around the clock and at night I remove the contraption holding the MVB and put the lid on the tub to trap the heat in. I have pothos, baby jade, and organic wheatgrass in there to keep things looking outdoorsy. :) She never used the humid hide I had so I took it out and made her little triangle hangout. I just make sure that the substrate in there is always a little damp to make up for the lack of a humid hide. My humidity goes between 60 and 80 percent, depending on how often I moisten things. I also have a few pieces of cuttlebone scattered around. So, how did I do? image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I think it's fantastic! I have no knowledge of proper heat requirements for this species but really love the enclosure.
I can tell you have done your research, to focus on humidity, heat, water, hides.
Nice job!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is very pretty. I like the natural look of it. The only thing I see is the food dish. If you use a terra cotta saucer it will help maintain his beak. Or a rock, just something course. Nicely done.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not bad, but I have a few more suggestions. First, if the water dish is not sunken into the substrate, I would do,that. Hard to tell in the pics. I would also put a little flatter rocks around the water. If s/he were to fall from those rocks into them water on its back, it could be the death of him. I would also put the top on, cut a hole for the mvb and line the hole with tin foil and put the CHE on a thermostat. Get the temps to 80 day and night along with the humidity of 80% and you will have one smooth growing sulcata. Toms threads below will hel explain the closed chamber better. Also, be sure the mvb is not the coil type, they have been known to hurt tortoises eyes.

Anna!

5 Year Member
Thanks!! I will cut the hole in the top tomorrow for the MVB and keep it closed. I started with the coil type bulb but after reading it is bad I switched it out. The water dish is sunken in and I made sure to watch how she moves around the rocks and don't think they are big/round enough to cause an issue. :)