Humid hide questions

Robin T

Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Hey everyone! I have a 6 month old russian tortoise and I have some questions regarding the humid hide that I'm still unsure of after tons of research. He's in a 55 gallon tank for now. The warm end is at about 91 and the cooler end around 75. Humidity stays around 70 percent. I'm working on my humid hide. My question is...I have to order the thermostat offline...should I go ahead and put the che in over the humid hide and just monitor the temps...or wait for the thermostat. I know my whole tank could stand to come up a few degrees so I didn't know. I'm getting the 60 watt che. Also when I get the che can it sit on top of the mesh lid like my basking light...or do I need to find a way to suspend it closer to the hide. Thanks on advance!

Robin T

Pensacola, FL
Here are some pics for reference

Attachments

• 1435122324320.jpg
    1435122324320.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 1435122348037.jpg
    1435122348037.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 49

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You'll have to read the temps on the surface once your CHE is installed and adjust the height as needed to get to where you'll want it.
The next thing that would be worth purchasing would be a handheld temperature gun.
The photo showed is almost exactly what I use. A closed chamber. With a closed chamber it is much easier to regulate heat and humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think you need to go warmer, and I don't think you need a CHE or thermostat.

Your enclosure looks great and a humid hide over on the warm side will complete it.

The only thing I would really change is the size. Bigger would be better.

Robin T

Pensacola, FL
Thanks for the reply! So you think it's warm enough to just put a box with wet moss on the warm side and leave it at that?

I don't think you need to go warmer, and I don't think you need a CHE or thermostat.

Your enclosure looks great and a humid hide over on the warm side will complete it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Yes. In my closed chamber, I have no other source of heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the reply! So you think it's warm enough to just put a box with wet moss on the warm side and leave it at that?

Yes. Russians do not need it warm all the time like a tropical species. It should cool down at night for them. Having the humid hide on the warm side will keep it warmer longer, but its nothing to worry about.