Curtis's latest escapade

Leah1234

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I've been off at college for the past month, and Curtis has been at home under the care of my parents. last time I was able to visit was about 3 weeks ago, and right before I had to leave, I let them know that the ground had shifted and one of the gates to Curtis's yard could no longer be properly secured closed.

I returned home very late Thursday, and first thing yesterday morning, I went outside to see the tortoises. Wouldn't you know it, I'm greeted with a very open gate and no sign of Curtis.

My parents say the last time they saw him out grazing was just a couple of days ago, so I figure he couldn't have been gone for long, and after I thoroughly search the yard, I post on nextdoor, craigslist, and the lost/found pets page for my city. Today we put up fliers all around the neighborhood and then some.

Only to find out from someone on nextdoor that Curtis has been out and about since at least Monday the 19th and was last seen walking along the median on a very busy road. Luckily I think it would be very apparent if he had been hit and animal control would likely have been called, but I called them and they said they have not seen or heard anything about it. If I had not been brought home this weekend, I'm doubtful that Curtis would have been discovered missing for a while. As I'm writing this, someone else has commented that they saw a turtle identical to him the week of sept 12-16, but I'm not sure how reliable that source is.

My parents have been very busy so I suppose that I can't blame them too much, but it is a little frustrating that Curtis has been missing for at least five days and no one noticed. Here's to hoping we find him soon. It's been over two years since his last adventure.
Oh no! Hopefully you find him soon! And I thought it was just my Shelly who wonders off!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Just got home to Curtis, treated him to a cactus pad and a plate of mazuri :)
I swear he’s grown since I last saw him! I’ll have to measure and weigh him later

Attachments

• 72759096-C436-431D-AC7E-0CCC15E048C1.jpeg
    72759096-C436-431D-AC7E-0CCC15E048C1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 0F428A7E-7C3C-4074-908A-30DE1F19EED9.jpeg
    0F428A7E-7C3C-4074-908A-30DE1F19EED9.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 10

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Do you feel like he's being well cared for and watched now in your absence?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Weighed and measured Curtis! He is now 18 inches long across the carapace and weighs 35 lbs. I swear he grew just while he escaped, because he was NOT this big the last time I saw him!

I also think I can confidently say he’s a male. His gulars are getting real big, and his plastron is slightly concaved :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Weighed and measured Curtis! He is now 18 inches long across the carapace and weighs 35 lbs. I swear he grew just while he escaped, because he was NOT this big the last time I saw him!

I also think I can confidently say he’s a male. His gulars are getting real big, and his plastron is slightly concaved :)
I know I am late to the party. I read all the posts. It was a rollercoaster of emotions reading this. I might have had a tear in my eye.
I am so glad Curtis was found.